Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who said it? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Since I can't post in the PF, this seems like an interesting quote for the times......

quote:
The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre – the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno who wrote it but it seems as though what he mentioned has already come to pass a few times.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hint:

In 1931, Arkansas Legislature passed a motion to pray for his soul after he referred to Arkansas as the "apex of moronia." And, to think, this was before Bill Clinton. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea and I think today is his birthday too, if I'm not mistaken

"Nobody ever went broke overestimating the foolishness of the American consumer" (or something like that)

one of us
posted Hide Post
In other words, I think it was Mencken.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another winnnnaaahhhh! Step right up, folks, more prizes to come. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
H.L.Mencken indeed. The first quote I was not sure of but the 2nd,yes. If memory serves I believe that the actual quote was"No one has ever gone broke by underestimating the intellegance of the American public." I could be wrong though as I have not read him in 40 years.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
H.L.Mencken indeed. The first quote I was not sure of but the 2nd,yes. If memory serves I believe that the actual quote was"No one has ever gone broke by underestimating the intellegance of the American public." I could be wrong though as I have not read him in 40 years.

In fact, the actual quote you are referring to is: " “No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”
published in a newspaper column in 1926. He never wrote the widely attributed shorter quote.

It has been paraphrased over the years to your above, and is often attributed to P. T. Barnum. The word "taste" is often substituted for "intelligence" in the shorter version.

There are so many, but one of my favorite quips by Mencken is probably "Alimony: The ransom that the happy pay to the devil."

He was a brilliant wordsmith. Here is a link to a bunch of his pithier writingsMencken

Another one: "The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in his hand and it's good-bye to the Bill of Rights."

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is on the above linked page and is part of a longer quote, but it is amazing how relevant it is to today's American.....

quote:
Including especially the Liberals, who pretend — and often quite honestly believe — that they are hot for liberty. They never really are. Deep down in their hearts they know, as good democrats, that liberty would be fatal to democracy — that a government based upon shifting and irrational opinion must keep it within bounds or run a constant risk of disaster. They themselves, as a practical matter, advocate only certain narrow kinds of liberty — liberty, that is, for the persons they happen to favor. The rights of other persons do not seem to interest them. If a law were passed tomorrow taking away the property of a large group of presumably well-to-do persons — say, bondholders of the railroads — without compensation and without even colorable reason, they would not oppose it; they would be in favor of it. The liberty to have and hold property is not one they recognize. They believe only in the liberty to envy, hate and loot the man who has it.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Relevant indeed. "These are the times that try men's souls",+ buddy these are the times.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
This is on the above linked page and is part of a longer quote, but it is amazing how relevant it is to today's American.....

quote:
Including especially the Liberals, who pretend — and often quite honestly believe — that they are hot for liberty. They never really are. Deep down in their hearts they know, as good democrats, that liberty would be fatal to democracy — that a government based upon shifting and irrational opinion must keep it within bounds or run a constant risk of disaster. They themselves, as a practical matter, advocate only certain narrow kinds of liberty — liberty, that is, for the persons they happen to favor. The rights of other persons do not seem to interest them. If a law were passed tomorrow taking away the property of a large group of presumably well-to-do persons — say, bondholders of the railroads — without compensation and without even colorable reason, they would not oppose it; they would be in favor of it. The liberty to have and hold property is not one they recognize. They believe only in the liberty to envy, hate and loot the man who has it.

Amazingly relevent today!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Mencken link. It's a gold mine.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out my entry in the book section.I am NOT affiliated with these people. It's just a great place to buy new books @ knock down prices.I thought of this as they had the collected works of Mencken,2 vol. HB for around $44.00

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! There are really some bargains there. Thanks, I think. Wink This is going to be expensive.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not buy new books at a reduced rate? I hope this helps all parties concerned.