Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why chefs male? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
The France vs England thread brought an old question to mind.

I am told that in 'most' households the better cook is female.

So, how's come most famous chefs are male?

Support the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Posts: 272 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
It's a profession, not a household duty....

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
My guess: chefs don't just cook, the run the kitchen. Kinda like the CEO of the kitchen.

Males may just have advantages in the management area.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
My guess: chefs don't just cook, the run the kitchen. Kinda like the CEO of the kitchen.

Males may just have advantages in the management area.

That is essentially the answer I have most often seen in the past.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the "olden days" most professions were male dominated. Think about tailors at one time they were all men, women sewed at home but weren't considered good enough to be professionals.

I can tell you that most gals that make it in the cooking industry are pretty "hard" to begin with. I haven't seen many guys in tears in the kitchen but have seen a lot of gals who were. It's a tough job physically and not one for the weaker sex.

Something else I notice is that a woman's pride in going over and above and really doing a hell of a good job on an item dies down fast. Soon they are just going through the motions to get the job done rather than finding a sense of pride in it.

That ought to ruffle a few feathers!

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
That ought to ruffle a few feathers!

Ya think?!
Eeker

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Methinks there are not enough forum members of the fair sex to bring many feathers to bear.