THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Waiting for rest of the story on cougar attack

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting for rest of the story on cougar attack Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Wonder how the jogger managed to save himself.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...-trail-idUSKCN1PU0UA

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16473 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read that it was an 80 pound cat. Still lots of muscle, fangs and claws, but it was full grown, 175 or so, the outcome might have been reversed.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2639 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was not disclosed how the jogger killed the animal, and no one from the CPW or the Larimer DNR was available for comment early Tuesday.

It would be politically incorrect to infer a firearm was involved. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Colorado Runner Attacked By Mountain Lion, Kills It With His Bare Hands
Sports Now
Sports Illustrated — Dan Gartland

A Colorado man who was attacked by a mountain lion while running escaped with serious but non-lifethreatening injuries after he managed to kill the animal with his bare hands.

The unnamed man was running in Horsetooth Mountain Park, near Fort Collins, on Monday when a juvenile mountain lion attacked him from behind, according to Colorado Parks & Wildlife. The mountain lion bit the man’s face and wrist but he was able to fight back and kill it in self-defense, telling investigators that he suffocated the animal, according to The Coloradoan.

The man was then able to get out of the park and drive himself to a hospital. He is expected to make a full recovery.

“Mountain lion attacks are not common in Colorado and it is unfortunate that the lion’s hunting instincts were triggered by the runner,” CPW area wildlife manager Ty Petersburg said in a statement. “This could have had a very different outcome.”

Authorities discovered the mountain lion’s body near where the man said the attack occurred and estimated that it could weigh more than 80 pounds.

Mountain lion attacks on humans are incredibly rare. In the last 100 years, fewer than 20 people have been killed by mountain lions in North America, according to CPW, and only 16 people have been injured (three fatally) by mountain lions in Colorado since 1990.

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
One cool-headed hombre!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16473 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it was a COUGAR! he simply bought her a drink and she jumped him and the rest is history.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think the trick would be to stay away from the cats claws, while you were strangling it.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What Grizzly Adams said. A mountain lion is a big cat similar to a leopard, and any cat like that will use all fours to try and unzip and claw the shizz out of you. Anyone that's even had a simple house cat knows that if you get it down it will try and claw you with all fours, and all of that at the same time.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yeah,the disemboweling stroke.Don't you know that guy was stoked on adrenalin.Thank God for modern antibiotics as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That will have all of us looking over our shoulder the next time we are wandering around in the wilderness and hear something snap behind us. Definitely, full grown would have been a different story.

I did like John C's version of events though. Typical South Texas thinking.

Posts: 13799 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Just like Karl Stumpfe strangling the leopard in Namibia.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12566 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was deer hunting about 30 years ago + got to the lease early + needed to wait until I could see a bit better to get to my tree. I sat on the ground with my back to a tree + waited for a bit of light. I heard one sound off behind me + brother there is no mistaking that sound.I had my 308 but I swear that did not feel enough.I never saw it but it damned sure knew I was there.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Heh, off topic, Frank, but years ago I was at the Sportsman's Show in Portland, Oregon, and a guy booking African hunts for a British outfit was chatting me up. When I mentioned being impressed with what Karl had to offer, he countered by insisting the Germans run a humorless camp, and it is much more fun to hunt with a Brit.

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tackled a yearling deer when I was young and stupid. Deep snow that winter and the deer would stay on the roadside and got used to the cars. Very rural area. Got on the steps of a stepside 1950 chevy pickup and bulldogged it. The struggle lasted all of about 10 secs. and I didn't win and I have had no desire to ever do it again. I was 17 strong and healthy and weighed 180 lbs. the deer about 60-70.
I can guarantee he didn't strangle that cat without help,bullet or the cat died of natural causes. Ask anyone on here if they ever tackled a 30 lb. bear cub. Watched a friend try that. It didn't work out too well either. They are to quick and too strong.
It would have not been PC to have had a gun on a Colorado hiking trail.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was never P.C. (or legal) to carry a weapon on Government park property.However in the mid 70's I did a bit of backpacking in the "Big Bend" area of west Texas.At that time the most firepower v/s weight was the Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 spl.Illegal as hell,but I was not going on week long hikes unarmed.Just the thought of stepping into an arroyo + kicking a javelina piglet that would piss off mama was enough in itself,not to mention 2 legged varmints in the middle of no where.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read today, From the time of the attack until Park Rangers arrived at the scene (2 hrs.) the cougar had been eaten to the point of not being identifiable as either male or female but 1 year old and less than 100 lbs. They also could not identify the cause of death due to predation of the carcass. I suppose the predation could have been from a second cat if the attacking cat had a litter mate and mom was gone.

They did emphasis the man had no weapon. But being a sceptic I'm still not buying it. As with anything government & media anymore there seems to always be an air of mystery

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote