Find
Notify
Tools

Blowing away the smoke on COVID-19. Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Right from the CDC.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Right from the CDC.

From your link.

"Most people will be able to recover from COVID-19 at home."

5 people have died in Australia, all old to very old, that is, 75 plus, a couple in nursing homes.

Quite a few people in our media got tested and some were positive. Some had no symptoms and only knew they had the virus because of the test. Some had symptoms which they said were extremely mild and far less than the common cold.

What does puzzle me is all the stocking up from supermarkets which seems to be the same in both America and Australia. I am puzzled because this is not like a flood or cyclone/hurricane/bushfire where roads etc. are cut.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
watched the news lately?
there's your panic.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You're so right Lamar.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the calmest and clearest guidance coming from our local newspaper, the Dallas Morning News. It pointed its readership towards the appropriate expert advice and websites. The national media is running around screaming with their hair on fire it seems.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I found the calmest and clearest guidance coming from our local newspaper, the Dallas Morning News. It pointed its readership towards the appropriate expert advice and websites. The national media is running around screaming with their hair on fire it seems.

In Australia the media is out of control.

I was listening to what would be the most listened to radio in Australia (a conservative one) from 7am to about 9.30 am. 99.9% was, sorry, 99.999999999% was related to coronavirus. Much of it was about panic because of picture being painted from other media.

The opening season for Formula 1 for 2020 is in Melbourne Australia and was to be the weekend just past. That was cancelled as were the V8 Supercars. sort of like Australia's version of NASCAR except no oval racing.

Rugby League season has started and they are tossing up between cancelling the season or games played but no spectators. Except for schools and public transport, gatherings of over 500 people banned. And the fucking list goes on.

Whether America or Australia and probably other countries I wonder if this will result in a lot of gov't intervention/control, sort of like after bin Laden and September 11, 2001.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yep. I'll be glad when this blows over to get business back to normal. Stocks are still getting creamed, waiting for the dead cat bounce there.
Stopped off for a cheap dinner Saturday. It was nice and fairly quiet. Weren't many customers there. They wiped the door handles down twice in an hour. No crowds at the movies either.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Your lucky you don't live in Montgomery county. Everything here is closed down. No restaurants, movies, malls and "non essential business".

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your lucky you don't live in Montgomery county. Everything here is closed down. No restaurants, movies, malls and "non essential business".

Same statewide in Washington.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
quote:

Same statewide in Washington.

Dave

Same here, only solution is to roll with the punches. No need to panic.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1595 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well true. Montgomery has the most cases in our state. Our Dauphin is still 0. Nearby Cumberland has a few cases. No deaths statewide to my knowledge.
Nonetheless, we're experiencing the same closures and cut-backs as other counties. My dental cleaning was just cancelled and my Wife is about to start working from home.
A week ago the restaurants were as usual. Just extra cleaning of door etc. Tables were spotless. That might change soon. I don't believe we hit the bottom (most inconveniences) yet.
But, I sense we are getting close.
This is a first in my 65 years. Like anything, adjust, go with the flow and relax. The NY Governor said it best today. The hype is doing as much or more damage than the virus itself. [end of quote]
It's human nature to run when something is amiss.
Folks will smarten up soon enough. It just takes a while for folks to see the truth over the hype.
Big deal, the supermarket is out of fresh chicken. Eat pork or beef. Fill the freezer and quit worrying so much.
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Think about this.
All these closings and cut backs and cancellations are not bad things. This country is doing a fine job of limiting the number of hosts available for this virus (the new influenza without a flu shot) to jump to others. In short, it can't jump onto something that isn't there.
These measures are great news. We are doing fine job of keeping it at bay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wish someone could explain why the hoarding of toilet paper? Are folks wrapping themselves as protection against the virus? Shaking my head on that one.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The word is that Trump will be handing out checks for a lot of out of work folks. I said so what else is new? This time it might be for people that deserve it. Also the Fed Morgage dept. has to pull in their horns + stop foreclosures + the IRS has given you (bless their black little hearts) an additional 3 months to pay. You still need to file by April 15th though.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The Wife heard a rumor about that. Some shortage bull scrap. Here come the bull shippers as usual.
Damn! Gov. Wolfe closed the car dealers and many other non-essential businesses. Seems over the top.

quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
I just wish someone could explain why the hoarding of toilet paper? Are folks wrapping themselves as protection against the virus? Shaking my head on that one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know anybody with Covid ?

My buddy picked it up in Boston or NYC.

He is home in Monterey, Mexico.

He is late thirties, excellent health, does not smoke.

He has been in a hospital for last week.

He said it is terrible far worse than the flu.

If gets lose and these is mass infection it will get ugly. Far uglier than it is now.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
The word is that Trump will be handing out checks for a lot of out of work folks. I said so what else is new? This time it might be for people that deserve it. Also the Fed Morgage dept. has to pull in their horns + stop foreclosures + the IRS has given you (bless their black little hearts) an additional 3 months to pay. You still need to file by April 15th though.

The same people who can't pay a $500 car repair bill are home with daytime television, six boxes of toilet paper and rent due in ten days.

A torch and pitchfork cost less than a tank of gas, just mail the checks already and hope it doesn't get any worse.

None of us are as rich as we think...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The Wife heard of a co-workers' family member who got it and after a week of home confinement/rest was fine. His family stayed home as well.

Godspeed for your buddy.

quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Anyone know anybody with Covid ?

My buddy picked it up in Boston or NYC.

He is home in Monterey, Mexico.

He is late thirties, excellent health, does not smoke.

He has been in a hospital for last week.

He said it is terrible far worse than the flu.

If gets lose and these is mass infection it will get ugly. Far uglier than it is now.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend in Germany (where it is quite rampant now) who is under quarantine along with his wife + month old baby after visiting his father in the hospital who had it + then died. Tristan is devastated as they made him leave the room + his father dyed alone. I do understand though + the 3 have been tested + are negative but he is broke up about his father dying alone.