Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got My Request From my2020census.gov Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I'm not much in the mood. They do say it's required by law. I guess I'll just have to think about it.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ken, please elaborate. I've never heard of that. And required by law? I'd like to know more. Besides in my dictionary "request" does not mean "mandatory".

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Takes about two minutes. Being a half-assed genealogist, I have developed an abiding love for census records.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Tell me more Bill, I still don't understand what this is + how as you say involves geneology.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My older brother is a three-quarter-assed genealogist. I've knocked-out my taxes today, so therefore I am going to participate in the census, but I'm disappointed now that it takes only two minutes.

My plan is to mention that I know both of you, so I hope that doesn't get me put on some black list.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Done. I'm officially in the system. (I'm saying it took five minutes.)

Norman, we didn't answer your questions. Go to my2020census.gov Some of us received a Census ID. You apparently didn't. Go to the web page anyway and they will give you a link to go to. Follow the instructions. I believe you will be able to participate.

By completing the census survey, you can avoid a Census Bureau interviewer coming to your home.

On a side note, my brother-in-law has been a Census Bureau interviewer for many years. He had some great stories to tell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are sending a packet to get census information from your household instead of sending census takers door to door like they used to. The country does a census every decade to see how much the populations have changed. It is not something new to get private information. They have been taking census for a couple hundred years at least.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, you can join a number of genealogy forums that give you access to the full decennial census records going back to 1790 -- with some ommissions owing to fires and the God-damned British burning our records in the War of 1812.
You can search these records, find your ancestors and see who was living in the household the very day the enumerator visited -- where they were born, what they did for a living, etc, all in the handwriting of the census taker. It is a moment frozen in time-- and therefore very precious.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another good source; the Mormons. Tremendous records. We (retired men's group) have visited their Family Center in McKinney twice in the past few years. They are very open to assisting you in extending your family tree, whether you are a back-sliding Methodist or not. The cost is "Free". https://www.familysearch.org/en/ The main thing I liked about their database is that they now are trying to capture photos, stories, etc., along with the names and dates. Wouldn't it be cool to read in your great-great-great-great grandfather's own words what he faced coming to this country, or crossing the continent with his family.

Good luck and keep prospecting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone should be getting a census request and ID number based on their address soon. I received a second one this week addressed to "Current Resident".

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Do it online. 2 minutes. DONE!
Yes it is required by law. Always has been.
my2020census.gov

Posts: 1075 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill/Oregon
Could you please post a link to one of the genealogy forums that give you access to the census records. I want to see some old stuff.
Thanks
Michael

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Michael, I get access to census data from this portal, but use my library card to do it. Check to see if your local library offers similar access with a library card.
Otherwise, Google U.S. Census data from a decade you are interested in .

https://www.ancestryheritagequ.../error/HqaAuthPrompt

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Thank you