THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Suggestion for a new section in the forums

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestion for a new section in the forums Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I enjoy the discussions on this forum very much but I have a suggestion for a new area. One in which people like me can get answers to questions that "everyone" knows the answer too. It could be called "Skinning Your Ignorance". Point in fact what is the difference between "belted" and "non-belted" ammunition?

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that getting a real answer to your actual question on AR can be a real challenge sometimes. Smiler

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if you're really asking or not, but "belted vs non-belted" refers to a brass raised ridge around the base of some ammunition. It has proven to be basically a marketing tool which does little but create potential problems with chambering in some bolt guns. Supposedly it was for headspacing on the belt. A common example of a non-belted case would be the .30-06 and a common example of a belted case would be the .300 Win Mag. While not the first, by far the most successful and well known of the early belted cartridges is the .375 H&H. I'm sure there will be howls of disagreement but the .375 Ruger is a better round with no belt and slightly better performance that can be used in a shorter action.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I'll throw in a question that I seem to be the only one who doesn't know the answer to. What is the deal with the Mauser actions? Do they offer something that other actions don't? They seem to have a cult following and I guess I must not know or understand why they are sooooo great.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
daniel77:
Duck my friend! You are about to be skewered.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I understand that I don't understand. Not trying to offend or say it ain't so. Just asking Why?

TWL, Thanks for the heads up though.

I realize that this is a can'o'worms so I'll repost it as it's own question. Sorry for the hijack.

Skipper488, if you are serious about a new forum, try posting this in the admin area at the top. I thought there might be interest in a forum just for Concealed Carry/Personal Defense, and they fixed one right up. Good luck

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you understand about Harley-Davidsons? Mausers fought all the wars where the bolt action was used. Even Browning couldn't improve the basic 98 action. They simply work...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the responses. Gatogordo, I was serious and thanks to your excellent description I now understand completely, while sorting out the calibers will take some further work as I understand there are some otherwise identical cartridges are available in both. Further I will take this up to admin as I think it will be a worthwhile addition to the forums after all the last person on earth that knew everything was Socrates.

Again, thank you all.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo, while I generally agree with your view on belts, I don't agree with the idea that faster is always better. Kevin Robertson and many other PH's are of the opinion that the H&H at factory velocity is faster than necessary and over penetrates with solids in a following shot scenario, possibly wounding unindended buff. A dangerous developement if nobody knows it happened.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbanger:
Gatogordo, while I generally agree with your view on belts, I don't agree with the idea that faster is always better. Kevin Robertson and many other PH's are of the opinion that the H&H at factory velocity is faster than necessary and over penetrates with solids in a following shot scenario, possibly wounding unindended buff. A dangerous developement if nobody knows it happened.

Well, first of all, I flat didn't say that faster was always better. What I said was that the .375 Ruger had slightly better performance in a shorter case/action than the .375 H&H. Whether one wants to use all the velocity available in any particular case is up to the user, especially if he handloads. All that said, why use a .458 Lott instead of a .45-70 if faster isn't better? Big Grin (That should crank up the crowd)

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: I hope someone (not me) will tell Saeed that his .375/404 is way too much gun for buffalo and those few hundred he has killed with it are lucky they weren't blown into the next country along with various of their herdmates. dancing

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
I don't want to piss with you. It's apples and oranges. Most PH's still want the first shot, an expanding bullet, followed by solids. I doubt Saeed needs to do much extra shooting after that Barnes Triple Shock.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote