New
Find
Notify
Tools

Length of pull Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted
OK guys, here are what probably sound like some silly questions, but I don't really know the answer to them. How do I measure my arm to determine my correct length of pull? And, also how do I measure a rifle to determine its LOP?
One more. Why the difference in rifle and shotgun LOP?
Please excuse my ignorance but this is something I've always been curious about. Plus, I have a 338WM that kicks like a mule and have been told that getting the LOP right for me could help to make it more fun to shoot.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any misfit of a gun accentuates the recoil .While LOP [from butt to trigger] is perhaps the most important other dimesions should be looked at too.From the inside of the elbow with bent arm to the bent trigger finger. Measure with the clothes you usually hunt or shoot with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The elbow to bent finger is only somewhat useful as a general guide to determine the LOP necessary for the gun to fit you. Don't use it. Mount a gun, preferably the one or type you're going to use, and measure.

With shotguns the LOP should be at a minimum the length of stock which allows at least 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches between the back of you thumb and your nose when the gun is mounted correctly in the style you would use in the field. Some people prefer longer, it depends both on what you're shooting and personal preference but the 1 1/2 to 2 inches is normally a minimum to keep your thumb from banging your nose when the gun recoils.

With rifles it is the same thing but you also have to factor in clearing the scope (if the gun is scoped, obviously) in recoil, especially in odd positions.

As mete said, this is only one part of making a gun fit. With shotguns, comb height is critical as well, and depends on how you mount and shoot the gun.

Finally, as mentioned, if you really want a shotgun to fit, you have to make it fit with the kind of clothes you'll be using it with. Duck hunters in sub-freezing weather need less LOP than quail hunters in short sleeves. This can be accomodated if you use only one shotgun by using two recoil pads of different lengths or by simply cutting the LOP to the minimum, again about 1 1/2 inches, and then the additional layers of clothing will not normally make it too long.

It is unlikely that getting the LOP correct for you .338 will significantly tame the felt recoil.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is unlikely that getting the LOP correct for you .338 will significantly tame the felt recoil.

Absolutely! Everybody knows that you need a couple mercury tubes then get someone else to fire it! dancing

Sasquatch

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, I dropped that topic in deference to it being in a guy's "hunt for sale" thread, but I'm amazed that people really think those things work beyond adding wt. I'm not denying that the movement of the mercury might have some extremely small effect in delaying the time of the recoil, which would, of course make it feel less BUT a mercury tube weighs 8 ounces and is made of steel. I doubt the mercury inside can weigh more than 5 ounces if that much. Now you've got a moveable 5 ounces inside a stationary tube, most heavy recoiling guns weigh at least 9 pounds with scope and ammo.....so you've got the friction of 5 ounces of mercury moving no more than 5 or six inches and someone is telling me this reduces recoil 50%. Give me a frigging break......not to mention I've shot thousands of shots with them in guns and all they do is make them feel weird when you handle them BEYOND adding wt, which, of course, does reduce recoil. A cast round lead slug the same size would weigh more and therefore be more effective.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the best way to determine LOP is to make sure the stock is longe enough to center your cheek on the comb when the gun is mounted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,

I was being sarcastic! No need to get all worked up! I remember your posts in another forum about merc tubes vs added weight and I couldn't help myself!

Big Grin

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much or little length of pull depends on how you shoot. "Squared-up" to the target (less) vs a "traditional" stance (more).

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote