Tools

The Son Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Anybody watching the series?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36621 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Worth watching ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Yep! He makes great use of a 351 Winchester.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
I've seen the first episode online, will watch another episode and give it a chance I guess. In the first episode the young Eli shot a turkey with his muzzleloader without even dropping the hammer, pretty neat trick I thought. Then later in that episode, in 1917 they take off on horseback to catch the guy that blew up the oil rig. As they get close to the guy they are hunting one of Eli's sons makes a big show of jacking a round into his lever action, then as they run the guy to ground he jacks it again without firing, just to be double sure I guess. Stuff like that kind of turns me off but I think I will give it another chance.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Worth watching ?

Mike

I think it is about as authentic as you could expect from today's Hollywood researchers. They did a good job with attire, guns, horse tack, horses, and the plot is good.

I saw the glitches mentioned above as well.

Pretty authentic showing of South Texas in early 20th.

I recommend it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36621 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above statements. It is better than most shows out there. It is hard to picture Pierce Brosnan as a Texan.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me to be an example of the left's view of what is wrong w/ the USA .
The visionary, hardworking, strong willed (evil white man ) was/is the source of evil . In this case, against the Comanches and Mexicans.
You and I should feel guilty AND pay for the actions of our ancestors ! Dammit

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
TK,

Agreed that is how the left feels. Wonder how they would have viewed it staked to the ground getting their hands and feet burned off? Wink

Do you see that coming out in the show though?

Eli reminds me of the men that raised me...esp my Grandfather.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Just watched the episode from last night. The scene with all the dudes kissing each other in Austin shows that place hasn't changed in 102 years.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I wonder if such a place actually existed in Austin in that time frame? And if so...what drew them to Austin to begin with?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have not watched it, thought about it, when I noticed the .351 Self Loader in some of the previews.

The only problem I saw and it is sort of what killed my interest is that I have a .351 Self Loader and even though they were manufactured up until 1957 I believe, they were really never that popular with the public.

I have killed deer, javelina and coyote with mine, but the.351 and .401 never caught on with sport hunters.

In checking the serial number mine was built in 1923.

The .351 was popular with prison guards, and I feel had Winchester developed a better action operating system, the .351 would have overshadowed the possible development of the .30 carbine round.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
.351's were popular among some Texas Rangers I believe and were popular with bootleggers and outlaws.

Here is a good blurb on them.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The Winchester 1907 fits well in the context of the movie. Eli is all about innovation...trying to move from cattle based revenue to oil based.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that article. I have always been interested in the little rifle and do carry sometimes. A long time friend in Graham helped me with ammunition. He takes .357 Magnum cases turns the rims down just a small amount and opens up the extractor groove. Getting bullets is actually easy, the ones I use are commercially made .351 diameter, 180 grain copper plated round nose.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are watching. It is supposed to be based on/in TX.
We wonder if is allegedly based on the 'supposed' history of the King Ranch ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I know. Those Hollywood mistakes on firearms used to drive me up the wall;even more so the people around me when I would shout out,"That was'nt invented yet!,etc. etc. etc." I just keep my mouth shut now because nobody really cares anyway.But it does tend to ruin the credence of a good book when all of a sudden our hero releases his safety catch from his automatic revolver.etc.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote