New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rejuvenating a "gamsbart" Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Gentlemen -- and yes, you know who you are -- I recently stumbled upon the hat brush or "gamsbart" my father set great store by 40 or more years ago. It's nothing fancy, but it is a bit tired. I would like to know if there is a way to clean, protect and enhance the fibers, as I should very much like to wear it on my custom-made Baden Powell campaign hat in memory of my father -- and good old B-P.

fullsizeoutput_9b6 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/93930283@N08/]

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try baby oil.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wirklich ... er, really?

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending what the bristles are made of.

If it were mine I would give it a very gentle washing then. A very light oiling with some natural type oil.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest some online research to find a museum with similar items or materials. Then contact them and ask to speak to their conservator and get his recommendations.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fellas, after considering George's advice and finding out that many artists treat their paint brushes with baby oil, I gave it a try then washed with Dawn dish detergent and dried the gamsbart in the sun. It's not like new, but definitely healthier than it was.

– John Green, author