Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any doctors in the house? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I've seem to have developed a problem in the past few months. Every time I go out to shoot my .458 Win mag I'll get a nose bleed, just the one side (right nostril). I've never had a issue with the recoil before. I'll also get a nose bleed if I blow my nose too hard as well. I won't get it shooting 12ga shot loads but anything that kicks more than a 300 win mag I seem to get a nose bleed after a few rounds. Also makes the guys next to me at the range think twice about trying out the "big rifle" lol. I'm in reasonably great condition health wise I'm 23 and have had open heart surgery when I was 9 months but I couldn't imagine that would have anything to do with nose bleeds and my big bores would it? A doctors visit is ultimately due before the weather really warms up but has anybody had this problem before?

Yes you can shoot it...No you can't have it...Yes I will hunt you down if it turns up missing

Posts: 72 | Location: Bean town, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you been taking higher amounts of aspirin lately? Aspirin thins the blood. Has the air been more dry than usual in the last few weeks? I was having frequent nosebleeds years ago when it got very dry in the wintertime and I was taking NSAID drugs for foot pain like I was poppin' chic-lets. Once the warmer, more humid weather came along and I quit the drugs, my nosebleeds reduced in number. I still get them if I blow my nose too hard. I always have to be careful because the damned thing bleeds like a firehose...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to college and working at UPS did cause me to take 2 Ibuprofen a day for a while until I linked the nosebleeds to them, I've since rationed myself to only 2 pills a week and the bleeds have tapered off but not completely, winter in ohio usually has really dry air but I've got turtle tanks in my room that act like humidifiers and I spend about half my day in my room.

Yes you can shoot it...No you can't have it...Yes I will hunt you down if it turns up missing

Posts: 72 | Location: Bean town, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ibuprofen

That's probably it. I can't take ibuprofen-- makes me sick to my stomach. I was downing multiple acetaminophen several times a day. The 'bleeds were all over me like a cheap suit. I'd just have to touch my nose to scratch an itch, and the blood would flow. It's winter where you are. I expect you'll just have to wait until it warms up and gets a bit more humid...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
homebrewer - you're going to have to watch out, take 2 asprin and you become a bleeding heart Big Grin Wink(it is friday you know)

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may have a polyp in your nasopharynx....if it persists you should have nasendoscopy at your local ENT doc's office(very simple procedure). Especially if it is readily controlled with some pressure I wouldn't get too worked up about a bleeding disorder, etc. Probably can be easily corrected by cauterization.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote