Find
Notify
Tools

New Member Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of pattersonj11
posted
Hello to all,

This is my first day as a member of AR and I am excited from what I have seen. I have been waiting on membership approval for a few days now and have had time to explore the forum some. I am really impressed with the trophy rooms everyone has posted. I noticed that this forum goes above and beyond other outdoor forums with its topics. I did notice the notorious .243 vs whitetail debates. I am sure these debates get quite entertaining.

I am from central NC and am currently attending school at East Carolina University majoring in Construction Management. As can be expected, I love chasing deer but I also take time for pursuit of small game. I like to hunt, fish, shoot, and cook. I find most sports entertaining to play as well as watch.

I am trying to get into reloading which is what lead me to this forum. I am a complete beginner at reloading and have not picked up all of my equipment as of yet.

Well, that is it for me. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

James.

Posts: 72 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James,

Sounds as though you are just the sort these forums need and vice versa. Correct, there is myriad information contained herein and, as you mentioned with the .243/whitetail debate, much in which to become entangled. I stay away from those minutiae discussions as there is never closure, rather angst and anger.

Welcome to the AR Forums. Buy a good reloading manual. Procuring all necessary parts for reloading is much fun, enjoy. Looking forward to your posts.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR.

You will find some very knowledgeable and helpful people here.

One word of advice - stay out of the Political Forum unless you enjoy intellectual sparring with half-wits, anti-Semites, homophobes, Marxists, haters of Christianity, the United States of America and the West, and losers who live in their mother's basement.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 06 December 2011 22:56 Hide Post
Welcome to AR.

You will find some very knowledgeable and helpful people here.

One word of advice - stay out of the Political Forum unless you enjoy intellectual sparring with half-wits, anti-Semites, homophobes, Marxists, haters of Christianity, the United States of America and the West, and losers who live in their mother's basement.

oh yeah yuck welcome aboard

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pattersonj11
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcoming. Also, thanks for the advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
James, welcome aboard. Try to find someone who can show you reloading. It is much easier to see it done, and you will also learn what to buy. Look in the Classifieds here and elsewhere to find used stuff.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Hello, James.

You sure live in a great place for hunting and fishing. I lived in NC three times. The longest was for a six year spell during which I lived in an old house in downtown Parkton. Parkton is a few miles off I-95 between Fayetteville and Lumberton. Back then the population of the town was only 500. There was a parade and picnic every 4th of July that drew people from all the nearby little towns. Every summer the five (yes 5) churches would take turns holding pot-luck's and everyone in town attended. The mayor owned the little market in town and did double duty as the butcher. We also had a state senator living in town. His wife led the choir at the Baptist church.

I spent a lot of time in the woods back then - from the coastal plain to the sand-hills to the Piedmont. I've spent a year's worth of nights sleeping on the ground without a tent among the Loblolly pines, maples, oaks, and dogwoods. In the swamps I would find Venus Flytraps, fireflies, anoles, foxfire, doodle bugs and other strange plants and animals. It is the only place I have ever seen squirrels so black they look like cats from a distance. I ate North Carolina wild onions and wild strawberries. I drank North Carolina sassafras root tea and moonshine from a jar.

Recipe for North Carolina Delight:
1 quart sorghum molasses
1 pound lard
Mix well
Serves four

Welcome to the crowd, Tarheel.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
One vote for GeorgeS to take over moderator duties in the political forum.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pattersonj11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Hello, James.

You sure live in a great place for hunting and fishing. I lived in NC three times. The longest was for a six year spell during which I lived in an old house in downtown Parkton. Parkton is a few miles off I-95 between Fayetteville and Lumberton. Back then the population of the town was only 500. There was a parade and picnic every 4th of July that drew people from all the nearby little towns. Every summer the five (yes 5) churches would take turns holding pot-luck's and everyone in town attended. The mayor owned the little market in town and did double duty as the butcher. We also had a state senator living in town. His wife led the choir at the Baptist church.

I spent a lot of time in the woods back then - from the coastal plain to the sand-hills to the Piedmont. I've spent a year's worth of nights sleeping on the ground without a tent among the Loblolly pines, maples, oaks, and dogwoods. In the swamps I would find Venus Flytraps, fireflies, anoles, foxfire, doodle bugs and other strange plants and animals. It is the only place I have ever seen squirrels so black they look like cats from a distance. I ate North Carolina wild onions and wild strawberries. I drank North Carolina sassafras root tea and moonshine from a jar.

Recipe for North Carolina Delight:
1 quart sorghum molasses
1 pound lard
Mix well
Serves four

Welcome to the crowd, Tarheel.

Whoa Whoa Whoa! I do appreciate the nod to the common nickname for North Carolinians; however, there will be none of that Tarheel non-sense in my direction Sir. Lol. This is Pirate Nation through and through.

I was actually in Raleigh majoring in Construction Engineering for 3 years at NC State and developed a profound dislike for that "Tarheel" establishment only a few miles down the road. Thank you for the welcoming.

My home is near Fayetteville and I have had similar experiences as you in NC.

Here is my most recent NC memory:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net...516_1833680961_n.jpg

I wish I had a better (more politically correct) picture to post; however, I was not in charge of the camera that night.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Silly deer should have known better than riding a four wheeler after hitting the corn liquor.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
One vote for GeorgeS to take over moderator duties in the political forum.

Not without the authority to apply the little ban stick (loss of access to the PF) or the big bang stick (suspension/banishment).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Hello James!

Welcome to AR, we're a friendly bunch but there are a few nutters to avoid.

There are lot's of retired guys on here, don't expect much deviation from the party line from them! Wink Big Grin

Best,

Gh

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pattersonj11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Hello James!

Welcome to AR, we're a friendly bunch but there are a few nutters to avoid.

There are lot's of retired guys on here, don't expect much deviation from the party line from them! Wink Big Grin

Best,

Gh

I take it you are speaking from the political forum as well. I personally do not claim a party line; however I tended to lean slightly right in the past. In the present, the current administration has me almost pinned against the right wall.

Good deal. I am glad to hear it.