New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird financial question Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Bear with me on this rather complicated situation.

So a person I know that has a lot of money/wealth is frantic with the amount of taxes they pay and the amount of money their financial fund manager makes.

I have said to them if you are getting taxed then you are making money/wealth, right? This does not go over well with them. The person is elderly and does not need anything and thus isn't spending money on themselves. Doesn't want to pass it out to heirs (until death) because then 'they will have the tax headache.' Yes, weird, I know.

Person wants to find some other investment that does not cost them so much 'trouble' in the form of the stress mentioned. I have suggested buying land. Meaning Ag or other undeveloped real estate.

Would that be a good choice and or what other suggestions might I make to them?

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Give me the money.

I will pay him a bit every year.

Well below the tax limit! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67048 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said. It's a weird situation.

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy Berkshire stock.

If they are really rich - they can simply borrow against their stock to live the rest of their life.

Berkshire pays no dividend. They will never pay any taxes in this lifetime.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the amount of money their financial fund manager makes

FIRE THEIR FINANCIAL ADVISOR, IF THEY HAVE ONE. I have never understood why people are unable to handle their own wealth and financial decisions. I pay an accountant to do my taxes because it is too complex for me. Investing is not.

I feel the same way about taxes as you describe. I hope I pay a lot of taxes because that means I made a lot of money. (I don't like tax cheats.) My accountant sees to it that I remain within the law.

I am not looking for tax right-offs. That usually means "losses".

I believe financial advisors are like psychiatrists. Most of them are heavily flawed individuals, with more problems than their clients.

If the person you described is retired he or she needs to be "steady" in terms of their investments, not searching for investment vehicles they don't understand.

I don't obsess about taxes. I am fine paying my fair share.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
quote:
the amount of money their financial fund manager makes

FIRE THEIR FINANCIAL ADVISOR, IF THEY HAVE ONE. I have never understood why people are unable to handle their own wealth and financial decisions. I pay an accountant to do my taxes because it is too complex for me. Investing is not.

I feel the same way about taxes as you describe. I hope I pay a lot of taxes because that means I made a lot of money. (I don't like tax cheats.) My accountant sees to it that I remain within the law.

I am not looking for tax right-offs. That usually means "losses".

I believe financial advisors are like psychiatrists. Most of them are heavily flawed individuals, with more problems than their clients.

If the person you described is retired he or she needs to be "steady" in terms of their investments, not searching for investment vehicles they don't understand.

I don't obsess about taxes. I am fine paying my fair share.

I appreciate your response. The person is my 80 YO mother who is widowed and has never handled her investments by herself. She is overwhelmed. She's also a person who does not do technology, ignores medical care and is facing the issues that accompany aging.

I think she wants to rely on my brothers, none of whom are capable (all druggie types and just waiting to collect upon her death) but is unwilling to allow me to assist. Has to do with how she was raised. I personally got out of the 'market' and bought land. I have been very happy with that decision. I pay few taxes (yep, my fair share and have zero write offs). I pay no one to manage it. Easy.

I live quite a distance away so we talk on the phone frequently and I generally visit once a year due to my own responsibilities. Every phone call I have with her is the same conversation with her in tears over the situation. She's not going to be able to manage this on her own.

The state she lives in is very heavy handed with taxes, both income and property. She won't move either. Anyway, I'm just frustrated with the situation. I can tell she is experiencing memory loss as well since the phone conversations are carbon copies of the previous. Getting old sucks.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Public bonds. was going to say but at 80 they are more long term. tax free

Posts: 6405 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simplify her investments as much as possible, if she'll let you. Your mother sounds like my mother when she was in her 80s. She was very set in her ways; thought any suggestions were an assault on her freedom and independence. My older brother nearly got disowned for suggesting she move into assisted living. (She never did.) I bought her a new TV for her birthday and a piece of furniture to set it on. She was chewing me out the whole time I was getting it set-up, and told me she wanted her old TV back. (It took about two weeks until she loved her new TV.)

My mother enjoyed feeling special, and she felt that way by writing generous checks around Christmas time. We tried to push back, but incurred her wrath, so we thanked her and accepted her gift.

I'm not sure there is a solution to your problem. Have patience and listen to her stories as if you've never heard them before. (Very hard to do, but it does more harm than good to point out that they repeat themselves.)

Oddly enough, I would argue with my mother for no particular reason. I think it kept her sharp and engaged in life. When I felt it had gone on long enough, I would concede. She enjoyed "winning". (My son was horrified at times I think, but my mother and I had a good relationship.)

She was all business; drove a team of mules in the field when she was seven alongside her dad's team. He had no sons; three daughters. The first worked in the house with my grandmother. The second (my mother) worked in the field with my grandfather. The third was spoiled rotten.

It's frustrating getting old and losing control of everything around you, one piece at a time. No wonder they get angry. (I'm practicing on the ANGRY part now. I see no point in waiting until I'm 80.)

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Musk is apparently raising the cost of his internet system because of increased living expenses. Smiler

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1606 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Simplify her investments as much as possible, if she'll let you. Your mother sounds like my mother when she was in her 80s. She was very set in her ways; thought any suggestions were an assault on her freedom and independence. My older brother nearly got disowned for suggesting she move into assisted living. (She never did.) I bought her a new TV for her birthday and a piece of furniture to set it on. She was chewing me out the whole time I was getting it set-up, and told me she wanted her old TV back. (It took about two weeks until she loved her new TV.)

My mother enjoyed feeling special, and she felt that way by writing generous checks around Christmas time. We tried to push back, but incurred her wrath, so we thanked her and accepted her gift.

I'm not sure there is a solution to your problem. Have patience and listen to her stories as if you've never heard them before. (Very hard to do, but it does more harm than good to point out that they repeat themselves.)

Oddly enough, I would argue with my mother for no particular reason. I think it kept her sharp and engaged in life. When I felt it had gone on long enough, I would concede. She enjoyed "winning". (My son was horrified at times I think, but my mother and I had a good relationship.)

She was all business; drove a team of mules in the field when she was seven alongside her dad's team. He had no sons; three daughters. The first worked in the house with my grandmother. The second (my mother) worked in the field with my grandfather. The third was spoiled rotten.

It's frustrating getting old and losing control of everything around you, one piece at a time. No wonder they get angry. (I'm practicing on the ANGRY part now. I see no point in waiting until I'm 80.)

Ken,

Your mom sounds like a great woman. I had another discussion with my mom last night. I have kept repeating that if you are making interest income you are making money and your advisor is doing his/her job. It does seem that she is mostly unhappy to have someone else do the management but she absolutely does not want to take it over herself.

I have been working to get her to move 'here' and I think she is warming up to the idea. I will take over the portfolio if/when she does.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I moved my accounts to Raymond James last year + got shed of Wells Fargo. I have been well pleased with my brokerage agent. There's a lot to be said about incentives when if you don't make money, neither do they.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, perhaps you should look into a relationship with a commercial bank in her area that has a trust department. Perhaps her existing bank has one. A trust department has a different outlook on their clients investments than a traditional Financial planner/advisor or a brokerage firm would have. She could also set up spendthrift trusts that would protect your brothers from themselves. By having the bank as trustee, it may also take pressure off of you and your Mom.

Good luck.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
Ann, I know what you are going thru. People that will not make a will is a real problem for family members. I spent over 6 weeks in court houses checking through Deeds. A farm that was never properly surveyed and then finding 3 people that had known the family for over 30 yrs to verify the kids of this family. A lot of problems!!!!

An uncle that died without a will and told his sister that he wanted his money go to the nephews, nieces, and brothers equal to each. Only 28 involved and no one contested his wishes. Over $500,000 was in the estate and everyone was surprised. Thanks UNCLE RIP

I finally got my father and mother to make a will after telling what we had gone thru settling other relatives estates. After mother died my dad was being chased by 3 or 4 women wanting him to marry them. Finally got dad to agree to an IRREVOCABLE TRUST. When these women found out that the TRUST WAS FILED AT THE COURT HOUSE that ended the chase!! Just 14 pages long and cost the estate $5,000 , but was worth it in the long run. I paid out over 3 yrs in the rest home over $100,000 as private pay. My wife and I kept very good records as I was the Trustee in charge. It can be hard to get the older persons to agree to release CONTROL of their assets. I kept about $10,000 in his checking account that he could spend for anything he wanted. I would have to agree if he wanted to spend more on a new car. The brothers were waiting inline after dad died for me to give them their share. The CPA had to finalize the records and pay the final taxes for this estate which took about 8 months before the trust was ended. My dad died just before his 93rd birthday. One of my brothers thought we were stealing his funds and we had to prove that every penny was accounted for in the records. My attorny told me to start charging the estate travel expenses and also charge a fee for running the TRUST. After a day of going over everything and I announced that I would be charging $5,000 a yr to keep records. Money in CD's, property rents, a farm, money in checking acct's, payments for property sold, and about 10 deeded properties to keep records on was a full time job for me.

I could tell more, but if you don't get the estate under control before it is too late someone else will make the decissions.

Posts: 91 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Ann, perhaps you should look into a relationship with a commercial bank in her area that has a trust department. Perhaps her existing bank has one. A trust department has a different outlook on their clients investments than a traditional Financial planner/advisor or a brokerage firm would have. She could also set up spendthrift trusts that would protect your brothers from themselves. By having the bank as trustee, it may also take pressure off of you and your Mom.

Good luck.

That's definitely an idea to consider. Thank you for the suggestion.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Brooks:
Ann, I know what you are going thru. People that will not make a will is a real problem for family members. I spent over 6 weeks in court houses checking through Deeds. A farm that was never properly surveyed and then finding 3 people that had known the family for over 30 yrs to verify the kids of this family. A lot of problems!!!!

An uncle that died without a will and told his sister that he wanted his money go to the nephews, nieces, and brothers equal to each. Only 28 involved and no one contested his wishes. Over $500,000 was in the estate and everyone was surprised. Thanks UNCLE RIP

I finally got my father and mother to make a will after telling what we had gone thru settling other relatives estates. After mother died my dad was being chased by 3 or 4 women wanting him to marry them. Finally got dad to agree to an IRREVACBLE TRUST. When these women found out that the TRUST WAS FILED AT THE COURT HOUSE that ended the chase!! Just 14 pages long and cost the estate $5,000 , but was worth it in the long run. I paid out over 3 yrs in the rest home over $100,000 as private pay. My wife and I kept very good records as I was the Trustee in charge. It can be hard to get the older persons to agree to release CONTROL of their assets. I kept about $10,000 in his checking account that he could spend for anything he wanted. I would have to agree if he wanted to spend more on a new car. The brothers were waiting inline after dad died for me to give them their share. The CPA had to finalize the records and pay the final taxes for this estate which took about 8 months before the trust was ended. My dad died just before his 93rd birthday. One of my brothers thought we were stealing his funds and we had to prove that every penny was accounted for in the records. My attorny told me to start charging the estate travel expenses and also charge a fee for running the TRUST. After a day of going over everything and I announced that I would be charging $5,000 a yr to keep records. Money in CD's, property rents, a farm, money in checking acct's, payments for property sold, and about 10 deeded properties to keep records on was a full time job for me.

I could tell more, but if you don't get the estate under control before it is too late someone else will make the decissions.

Les, that's terrible what you've gone through but it looks like you were very smart about it. This is the situation I wish to avoid for sure. I know my mother has a will already, she has said so, but it seems to change with the wind. Sometimes my brothers are included. Sometimes they are not. They are currently not.

I have not had anything to do with them in many, many years. I do not wish to deal with probate issues and hope my mother lives forever. I just need to get her stuff situated where she is happy and not feeling like everyone is trying to get her hard work.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
I had a friend tell me about his family problems 20 yrs ago. His mother died and his dad got married again. His will was changed after this new person came into the picture. She took control of the estate and sold a Motel in Santa
Fe, NM for a large amount of money after his dad died. The man and his sister received nothing from the estate. The women spent all of the money traveling the world with her daughter. This put me to thinking of what I would need to do.

In 1999 I bought a CD on Family Law and Estate Planning. It was the best $20's to spend and help me understand what to do when things were hard to decide which way to go with the planning. The IRREVOCABLE TRUST is a way to keep things the way the person owning the assets can kept what he agrees to and can't be changed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Tell her to start a full-on Ag farm conglomerate, and just keep farming until all the money is gone.

Problem solved.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, lots of good advice. As you know, you only pay taxes on gains through sale of investment assets, or dividends. However fees on brokerage accounts are based on assets held. These are often 1% or more so I suspect that the fees are a much bigger hit. Most advisors will want to limit risk so as to preserve capital, so much of what your mother holds is probably in dividend paying stocks or funds. These do not take a lot of trading. If you are reasonably savvy then an account at say Vanguard, would be a good idea. Be VERY wary of institutionally managed Trust accounts. These while "arms length" will often charge 3% or more in fees.
Just my 2 cents.
Peter
BTW I have a Trust. The main purpose is to gradually pay out assets, or wait until people are old enough etc. None of which can be done with a will. But, then you have to have a Trustee.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll look into that, Peter.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice, everyone. On my next trip to visit we will be pulling out the paperwork to see just what is going on.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Easy; my advice is always; Put your money into Iron and lead. They never go bad, and you can enjoy them now; when you die, it is no longer a problem. No taxes, no capital gains, whatever that is, and no worries; just enjoy them.
(Iron and lead, mean guns and ammo.)

Posts: 17136 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Iron and lead, mean guns and ammo.)

tu2

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the opening scene in the John Wayne movie as he meets the bandito kidnapper who thinks he brings the ransom money.
Ah senor, you have brought us gold?
Nope
Ah, silver then?
Nope, just lead.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote