Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

i'm beat! Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
wife (71) fell off step stool dec 30 onto her shoulder and broke the hell out of her arm up high near shoulder ball and socket. bad fracture and out of socket. ER guy was impressed she wasn't screaming bloody murder. he didn't know she had taked one a my pain pills. in Xray they were setting up and i asked the nurse when will she be healed up enough to start resume kitchen duties. she yelled WHAT and gave me the mother of all stink eyes. wife just shook her head. grandkids 10 and 12 were due for a 9 day visit next day, decided to let em come to help out. read em the riot act when they got here. they HAVE been a big help, kinda sorta. surgery sched uled for fri jan 6 or 13. problem is she has had a heart transplant and stroke so have to get clearance from her heart docs. i been doing all the cooking, a load a dishes a day, a load a laundry a day, and 2 shopping trips so far, outside watering, smoking jerkey, clean up put up etc etc. kids help some, mostly by watching after her when i can't. now i know why women age so fast! thats gonna make me a few new friends!! gave her a duck call i made years as a distress call. 3 weeks recovery then 3 months PT. i have done shoulder, knee, hand, bicep PT. shoulder is the worst by far. i am currently open to any and all feel good meds donations. for me. address upon request.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
LOL! Well, I have sympathy for both of you for sure! Hope your better half has a good outcome and you get your rest. Wink

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
was gonna have the surgery tomorrow but after 2 days her heart dr has yet to get back with the surgeon to say yea or nay so now scheduled for next fri. shes not a happy camper

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can relate. I had a friend a few years ago that was scheduled to go into major surgery, + had to psych himself up for several days for the event, but when he was actually on the gurney + being rolled into the OR, the doc says, I'm not sure whether I like your heart beat + blood pressure, we'll just reschedule. Boy, if you thought his blood pressure was bad before!....

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
gave her a duck call i made years as a distress

My wife and I looked after my elderly parents for 9 years.

We installed remote door bells for them to use when something was needed.

I do not like the sound of door bells to this day.

Nothing like being woken up 4 or 5 times a night.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough row to hoe!

Bless you both.

What don't kill ya makes you stronger!!!!!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats what i keep telling myself. the "help" the grandkids are giving us is wearing me down. boy is typical 10 yr old all feet and hands. his nickname is 50/50 as he drops, breaks, whatever half of everything he piks up. he insisted on cooking eggs and bacon for her this morning. didn't any help, he says. took me 30 minutes to clean up, fix redo everything he did. i cant complain as he's trying. plus its comical as hell. sometimes. their asshole father is 2 hours late coming from austin to pik em up. after 9 days i'm counting the minutes, but it has been fun. hope her cardiologists tell us something tomorrow. shes frustrated as hell but doesn't wanna get on their bad sides. like anything else, we'll get through it one day at a time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, that reminds me of that old Shel Silverstein poem,
If you have to dry the dishes,
What an awful, boring chore,
Instead of going to the store,
And you drop one on the floor,
Maybe you won't have to dry the dishes anymore.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i wish! thats how Andy Capp got out of it. but our everday dishes are plastic due to klutzie grandson

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is hard work John.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is that, but since I raised 3 boys by myself for close to 15 years, I think I am entitled to an opinion. It is hard work, but the benefits are well worth it after the fact.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Long ago I had a roommate who did not like helping with household duties. He would deliberately (I think) not wash dishes properly. I think he thought he would get out of having to do those kind of things if he did them wrong.

That didn't work. I set them all back out to be washed properly. He caught on fast. Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one of the 1st things I instilled in my boys; you will learn to cook, clean house, do laundry, wash dishes, etc. Don't think you are going to marry some girl + get her to mother you, ain't gonna happen. They all turned out just fine.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, I sure hope your wife's cardiologist gets on board so she can have her surgery. You did your grandsons a favor giving them a taste of responsibility.
I hadn't thought of Andy Capp in years. Can you imagine being around someone who has a cigarette in his mouth 24/7?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well things are settling down. kids left sunday pm. can't believe the number of dishes that AREN'T in the sink to be put in the dishwasher. and no load a day of clothes for the clothes washer. i'm not opposed to all that, just glad to get a break.
cardiologist has released her so surgery is friday.
Andy Capp was a real dik in a lotta ways, but still funny as hell. sometimes. his creator reg Smyth(sp) was given one day to come up with a cartoon character and decided to use his neighborhood and parents and relatives as inspiration. broke all the records for worldwide circulation. and yes, he did quit smoking. finally.
just put 4 lbs of beans on the stove with onions, garlic, chubacabra, salt pepper, brisket meat, etc etc so we're good to go for a few days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
It is that, but since I raised 3 boys by myself for close to 15 years, I think I am entitled to an opinion. It is hard work, but the benefits are well worth it after the fact.

i'd say more than entitled!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Had to look up chupacabra, as I figured you weren't adding flesh of the goat-sucker ...

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sister in law et al were here last dec and ate some of my beans and ribs with that on it and ran to HEB and got 6 big containers to take home to colorado. gotta use it sparingly or it'll remind you why (most of us) have buttholes with EXIT ONLY on em.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an ex-sister in law years ago who thought that Andy Capp was the funniest comic strip; until she married one.