Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Success Stories Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I like to hear success stories about people who started from nothing and made something out of it. Stories about people who had it all, lost it, shook the dust off and achieved success again.

I know there are times when people can feel like the world has beaten them but find the strength and perseverance to rise above it and achieve success. I think hearing stories like this can give others hope when they're down on their luck.

So how about it, anyone have some good stories they'd like to share?

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are we talking our own or others that we observed?

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would assume that anything is fair game.Perhaps
I would'nt have said anything ,but the words of our current president rang clear [damn near verbatim] ("If you have succeeded in business it was not due to you but those that help you .)Fuck you Jack!!!I built my business up from nothing with NO outside help.I did 14 days w/o food because I would not take charity.TRUE!! I now own a a company that is here due to my own hard work + my children are blessed because their father had a good protestant work ethic.What more can I say?

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
So , Norman - can you tell us how you really feel about this ???

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
your own or others, doesn't really matter. Of course we never know all the sacrifices others make at times. Only our own.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
So , Norman - can you tell us how you really feel about this ???

Geez Muzza, you deaf or what? Must be all that cheese. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
I would assume that anything is fair game.Perhaps
I would'nt have said anything ,but the words of our current president rang clear [damn near verbatim] ("If you have succeeded in business it was not due to you but those that help you .)Fuck you Jack!!!I built my business up from nothing with NO outside help.I did 14 days w/o food because I would not take charity.TRUE!! I now own a a company that is here due to my own hard work + my children are blessed because their father had a good protestant work ethic.What more can I say?

Norm, when you say "Fuck You Jack!!" I'm assumming by Jack you mean Obama? Just wanting to clarify Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I can't tell details specifically but my wife worked for a fello who was just coming out of bankruptcy and his wife had left him to boot. He got an idea together and within about 5 years was worth over 200 million. Not bad! I bet his ex is pissed at herself for bailing out on him when he was down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the outburst gents,that is a common response when truth comes under question.Yes filmit,"jack= your assumption." In a thumb nail sketch in 1970 I bought a place in the country (we mostly all did)[ask the V.A.] I lived in a VW bus while building the cabin to live until I built the main house. I hauled water for over 4 years as I did not have money to drill the well.I worked for other shops while learning the trade,meanwhile buying up all the old sheet metal equipment I could find.(Don't you know that went over like a fart in church when my money went for tooling instead of my wife's spending desires (no;I always bought the groceries myself.)When she decided to "run off with the circus"as it were.
I kept my 3 sons....4-15 yrs. + did the total raising myself.They have all turned out to be model citizens,veterans,honest,+ anything that one would hope your children to be.....While running a business. So I appologize if anyone was offended by my comment on the presidents statement.But I WILL NOT detract it's meaning.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need to apologize here Norm. It's just at the time I hadn't yet heard Obama say that, so I wasn't sure what you were talking about. Glad to hear your boys all turned out well and hopefully you don't have to haul water anymore Wink

One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
When I was a little girl I lived in a mobile home and the other kids would tease me and say that I lived in a trash can. My dad was an E5 in the military and didn't make much money. I was in Special Ed because I was dyslexic and even in the second grade I couldn't read. I didn't have many friends because I was quiet, shy and kinda homely.
But, I was a fairly good decision maker. I chose to study. I chose to keep trying. I chose to join the military and there I gained a lot of self confidence that I didn't have before. I chose to use my GI Bill and go to college. I chose to work three jobs so I could take care of my family. I chose to buy a house and land in the country. I chose to apply for jobs that had more responsibility and I worked my way up into management.
Long story short, that shy little homely girl that couldn't read in Special Ed is now a successful independent woman and a Director of Nursing in a skilled nursing facility. And no one would ever guess that I'm dyslexic. Smiler

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that as well N.V..We all have a story to tell....why not here?