New
Find
Notify
Tools

A grim task that must be done Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Nothing but respect for the men handling this century-old ordnance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNIBE64CAgs

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Even though they show most of the recovered munitions here being in the forest, the "National Geographic" article several years ago talked about how many farmers turned up working in their fields every year.
Wonder how many UXO's are gas canisters.

Now there is a job that offers new and exciting challenges every work day that holds NO interest for me!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid my dad was in the Air Force + we were stationed in Germany. The area on the German-French border was cordoned off because they didn't know how many land mines were still out there. This was from War 2 however.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Army, running a dozer building
a turn around and road down range #12 at Grafenwhoer (graf).

I turned up a blue painted cylinder about a foot long, 4" dia, with a 1 1/2" pin about 4" long on one end, other end was blunt.

My thoughts: WTF is this, just junk, and pushed it out of the way along with other scrap iron that had been shot up.

The range sgt saw it and shit his panties, took me off the range and called disposal folks. I still don't know what the hell it was.

According to him I was damned lucky it didn't blow up. Shucks, I'd pushed it around for over an hour before finally getting it off the road I was building. Ran over it half dozen times too. He'd never said to watch for such stuff.
Live n learn sometimes it seems.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote