New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Train Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
I just received an email from my property attorneys concerning the new Houston to Dallas "bullet train". It seems the state has gone under the Texas Railroad commission's right to claim eminent domain on any property in their way that they want + nothing the owners can do about it. We shall see how this plays out.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
If that's the case, make sure that you hire the best eminent domain valuation expert and the best eminent domain attorney. The damages amount awarded will all come down to a battle of the experts, either through a settlement, or through a jury trial. I practiced eminent domain law for many years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing about "Eminent Domain". Does this mean they can take your land without compensation? Here we have what is called expropriation, but you have to be fairly compensated and have resort to the courts.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1602 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The current "preferred" alignment is about 300 yards south of my bedroom window, the high speed rail operating company owns about 6 acres next to me, that piece of property was originally 18 acres and I bought 12 acres of it as soon as the first train route maps were leaked. The high speed rail land acquisition company was not amused. They want it for drainage but it will cost them dearly to get it. A new wrinkle is that the current preferred route goes thru the middle of a brand new gigantic solar field (southwest of Bardwell), so the alignment will have to be relocated a bit if they ever build the rail line, I guess solar trumps the bullet train. As far as I know, they have bought very little of the thousands of acres needed for this project. I know they have bought a chunk in southern downtown Dallas and a bit around Palmer, the 6 acres next to me and they bought about 18 acres on the south side of the 6 acre piece and then turned around and sold most of it. I think when/if they start using eminent domain to get land that they will find that the special commissioners courts will not be too kind to them.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2770 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the design drawings and the system is elevated on pylons with undisturbed land underneath - save where the pylons are planted. Essentially no broad, cleared right-of-way. Do they have to buy all of the land the railway traverses, or just the support footprints?

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The proposed rail line is supposed to be “double track”, or two sets of rail for trains to operate in opposite directions at the same time. They propose a 150-200 foot wide right of way, two sets of tracks with access roads along each side, all enclosed by a chain link fence. Grade crossings are supposed to be avoided, the tracks would cross 6 county or state roads and one US hwy within 3 miles of my house I guess they would build overpasses, some of it would be elevated on pylons…like thru low areas or floodplain, other parts would be set on a “dump” similar to regular railroad tracks. The drawings I’ve seen show this dump to be between 13 and 20 feet tall and over 50 feet wide at the base, that would take a lot of dirt. But, they claim with eminent domain authority they can condemn land within one mile from the tracks in order to get this dirt. Then, you have to take into account the acreage required for maintenance facilities and the numerous power substations required to power such a project, would end up taking a whole lot of land. I think the track right of way alone would take over 4500 acres. I’ve seen lots of train wrecks, (worked as a carman and roundhouse foreman on the Southern Pacific until they shut down our terminal)including a few where the train was going 50-60 mph, I can just imagine what a 200 mph derailment might look like. It will likely cost billions more than they estimate, if it ever gets built, but given the current administration they might just get a gigantic grant to fund this high-speed bad idea.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2770 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your last sentence was sad but true. Admittedly they have been projecting this project for the last 40 years. There is also supposedly in the works an underground railway from Austin to Dallas (same one perhaps?) that will get from Austin to Dallas in 30 minutes.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Your last sentence was sad but true. Admittedly they have been projecting this project for the last 40 years. There is also supposedly in the works an underground railway from Austin to Dallas (same one perhaps?) that will get from Austin to Dallas in 30 minutes.

For a minute I though we were discussing California's bullet train...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC..............did u get my PM about the dillon?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, yes I did. I have been leaving messages to my buddy up in Stevenville but haven't heard back from him. I know he was saving up to buy a 750 but I thought he might be interested in your 550. I kinda doubt it though because in addition to loading 9mm + 45 ACP, he loads 223 + 308 + unless Dillon has changed their platform, the 550 won't load rifle cartridges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
funny cause i load 45-70, 308, 35-30, and 30-06 on it. a 550 is touted as the "most versitile loader ever" if i'm not mistaken, and i could be, will load anything but 50 cal.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I keep hearing about "Eminent Domain". Does this mean they can take your land without compensation?

Grizz: No. Protection for an individual or company is afforded by the 5th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and those of a majority of the States. You must be justly compensated. Reasonable compensation is determined by law and by the experts in a lawsuit, according to the eminent domain laws and case law that govern the action, state or federal.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting issue. One of the lawsuits against the rail was tossed because it was filed in the wrong court. I haven’t kept up with it much, as it doesn’t impact my land and I avoid Houston like the plague.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/06/2...after-cotx-decision/

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, P.M. sent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
John, yes I did. I have been leaving messages to my buddy up in Stevenville but haven't heard back from him. I know he was saving up to buy a 750 but I thought he might be interested in your 550. I kinda doubt it though because in addition to loading 9mm + 45 ACP, he loads 223 + 308 + unless Dillon has changed their platform, the 550 won't load rifle cartridges.

the 550 will load rifle cartridges.
45-70, 308, X57 rounds and the like are a breeze.
I load almost all of my 223 varmint ammo on one, then flip out the top tool head and load my 300 BO on one [of the 4 I have [each primer size] even though I have the stuff to load them on the 650.

the 750 will be my next machine [frame upgrade] but only because it has the 550 primer slide and not the stupid one the 650 has.

no hurry I got the 4-550's and they do all I need.

Posts: 4982 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, I think I was thinking about the square deal B when I said that. I like my 650 (I bought it when it 1st came out) hopper + all. I would be interested in the 750 now though as I have heard good reports. I would just have to build a larger loading room. Big Grin