Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US lawyer needed Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Hi, I would like to forward a question to an US based lawyer. Kindly contact me via private message.
Thanks.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some idea about the type of legal issue you face, the venue, etc. might help. We have 50 states each with their own laws. There are federal laws as well. The legal practice has become extremely specialized.

In other words, a NY lawyer might not be much help to you if your issue is governed by California law. An immigration lawyer, or a bankruptcy lawyer, or a products liability lawyer, might not be able to help much with SEC regulations on registration of a securty or tax laws.

Just my thoughts. I understand you might not want to disclose details, but some idea of what type of matter you need help with might generate a larger response. Your question is just very, very broad.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice!

Posts: 10015 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The person involved resides in New Mexico. Obviously I don't want to discuss details in public...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
The person involved resides in New Mexico. Obviously I don't want to discuss details in public...

That's not so obvious at all. Let me guess, this unknown person was a client who didn't pay you what he owed you when he got home or this client owes some governmental agency fees that you are going to have to pay if he doesn't.

If either of those or anything along those lines is the case, and you want to be paid, then you are going to have to sue him. Unless the amount is fairly large, say well over $5000 then I would suggest you chalk it up to experience and learn from it. The costs and time involved will eat such an amount up in a hurry. Let me be clear, I don't like no-paying deadbeats at ALL, but the costs of collecting, with the intricacies of the American legal system, often make collecting (and I can assure you that just because you win a suit for x amount of money, DOES NOT mean you will collect it)not worth it.

It may be possible that you could sue him in South Africa which would make a lot more sense from your POV. It also may be possible to get a judgement against him which might be enforceable. I don't know, but unless you can collect some kind of LARGE excess damages then your chances of getting a US lawyer to work on a contingency basis is near zero. That means, in my experience, that you will have to pay him at least $5000 just to undertake the case IF you file suit. Possibly a letter might work, who knows because we don't know what the issue is.

I am definitely not a lawyer so you can take all this advice with a grain of salt, but I have paid and used them extensively over the years. My Daddy, long since dead, gave me some good advice many years ago, to wit, "Son, if at all possible, stay out of court, there are rarely any winners but the lawyers." Moreover, if you're asking questions on an internet forum, then you can't be too serious, too damaged, or too mad IMO. It sounds to me like you want some legal advice for free. Lawyers have nothing to sell but their time, knowledge and skills. "Free" doesn't pay their bills, especially bar ones. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great advice! tu2

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
That means, in my experience, that you will have to pay him at least $5000 just to undertake the case IF you file suit. Possibly a letter might work, who knows because we don't know what the issue is.

This is good advice. You might also send him a certified letter on legal letterhead, then when he doesn't reply you can splash him on all the hunting sites and various hunt club chapters. You can really smear a guys name and still make it look like you are just trying to "get him his trophies".

"I'm trying to get in touch with Joe Doublecross. He hunted with me in 2013 and I have his trophies. I have been waiting for payment before shipping but it has been 14 months. I've sent several letters and emails to him at the Albuquerque, New Mexico address he left. Currently I am out $5000 for the government fees but I know that he would like to get his trophies so I'm not worried about it, I just need to get in touch with him. Also, I know that he is a plumber, so maybe someone can get me in touch with the local plumbers union. Boy, I sure hope old Joe is OK!"

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Great advice! tu2

Yes, but my problem has nothing to do with hunting…

I would like to hear from an AR member, living in New Mexico, working there as a lawyer.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well,what does it involve? Remember you started this.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Well,what does it involve? Remember you started this.

As mentioned before only PM please.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato hit the nail on the head. Winning a lawsuit doesn't mean you'll see any money. Would be great if it were as depicted on the court shows on tv. Truth is the court itself will rip you off as badly as the person you sue.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I don't know what you do for a living, but if you are not a lawyer, you missed your true calling.

Posts: 10015 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sunshine,

I am a lawyer, but I wouldn't be interested in this type of case. I recognize that no one knows exactly what type of case it is, or how much is at stake. That's my problem.

If enough is at stake, I'd suggest you engage competant counsel -- in whatever jurisdiction is appropriate. If you don't know who you should engage or the remedies available, I'd contact counsel in your locale to give advice.

Best of luck truly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a lawyer, but I wouldn't be interested in this type of case. I recognize that no one knows exactly what type of case it is, or how much is at stake. That's my problem.

lavaca, on this forum something is called "PRIVATE MESSAGING"… In the meantime I'm in contact with a lawyer from New Mexico. Thanks to a all of you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I apologize if I offended you or violated some protocal. I wish you the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are perfectly correct. You did ask for a private message. I missed that, and I do apologize.