Find
Notify
Tools

Tale of two flashlights Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Dont buy Streamlight, the Tasco of flashlights
and customer service is non-existant

Pay the few extra dollars and get a Surefire, they will stand behind their product. You will be happy you did.

Recently at the SCI Convention this year I purchased one of Streamlights more expensive products, one of the Stinger Rechargable LED flashlights
When I got a chance I opened it up to try it out and found out the wall charger was defective. I emailed customer service about the problem. They eventually replied back and stated without a receipt of purchase (how else would I have gotten one) they could not help me, and as they get thousands of similar requests every month it is not feasable to provide product support without a receipt (?????)
I emailed back that I expected better from a vendor allowed at SCI and would make note to provide this information available to others.
They then emailed back and said if there was a way that I could "prove age" of the product they could possibly warranty it.
I sent them the serial number and battery number.
They emailed back again stating that if I could take a picture of the serial number and battery number, mail the pictures and the defective charger back to a authorized service vendor (at my own time and expense) that they would warranty the flashlight charger

It should not be this difficult to get a defective product replaced. I should not have to jump thru hoops to get a new one that works.

I did not purposely purchase a defective product

The right thing to do here is for Streamlight to apologize and send me a replacement part in the mail

However, from the original email I received from Streamlight stating that Streamlight gets thousands of requests every month for defective products it is apparent that Streamlight does not make a worthwhile product and I should not waste any more of my time on it

FYI

I took a couple Streamlights to Namibia a few years back, brand new right from Cabala's. I bought them thinking a flashlight is a flashlight and they were less expensive than the Surefire that everyone raves about and looked nearly the same quality

Within a week or so they were both broke. When I got back I returned them to Cabala's and got a refund.

Obviously Cabela's had the purchases in the computer so there was not a problem with receipts of purchase that I did not have and the return of the defective product was easy. Cabela's has an outstanding return policy and stands behid the products they sell, even if the maker does not. Had I purchased this from Cabela's or a local vendor I am sure there would not have been this issue
Hardly anyone that I know of "keeps receipts" for very long, if at all.

I took the money returned from Cabala's and bought a Surefire Defender

I had decided at that time that Streamlight's were not of good quality and that I would not buy any more as they were not dependable
and had left my son and I in the dark in Africa.

I would spend the extra money and get something with a good reputation for dependability, i.e. Surefire.

Since then I have purchased several more Surefire's of various types and have been very happy with them, even with the added cost. As
the old saying goes " you get what you pay for"

A year or so ago I was using one of my Surefire's and thru my own negligence I broke the glass. (I was pounding on something with it) I emailed Surefire to see if I could send it back and get it fixed and that it was my fault and I would be happy to pay the cost.

The people at surefire emailed back and stated as they were fully warrantied they would send me a replacement and would I please send back the broken one in the pre-addressed and stamped envelope they would send. They did ot ask for a "receipt" Within a couple days they sent me a replacement with the current model at no cost and one that was actually better and more expensive than the 2 year old model I originally purchased. I wrote them a very nice thank you letter when I returned the one I had broken.

I have also told many about my experience with Surefire and I am sure that has led to a few more satisfied customers

At this years SCI convention one of the vendors was having a special on the Streamlight products. I looked it over and as I wanted one with a wall charger for my bedroom I decided to give Streamlight another chance. I guess I made a mistake as the product was defective right out of the box. Once again, you get what you pay for

I should have learned my lesson from my earlier experience with Streamlight products

So long story short, I will not ever purchase another Streamlight product and this one is going in the trash where it belongs. I have allready placed the order for a Surefire as a replacement

I am sure this post will not cause Streamlight any major sales drop but I can promise it will cost Streamlight more than the $50 it would cost to stand behind their product and send me a new charger.

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good info to know Iam in the market for a tact light I'll have to look closer at Sure fire.

Posts: 19388 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the considerable time to create your informative post.

I offer one endorsement of your opinion. My experience is less varied, but sufficient to endorse the additional cost of Surefire.

My favorite example of abuse with no damage is leaving a SF light lying on tractor/combine, and then running over same and it appears intact, and still works.

The Fury model makes a helluva valuable addition to the truck box.

Support the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Posts: 272 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes up my mind. Maybe they should read this string once it fills up.

Posts: 10023 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
...they could not help me, and as they get thousands of similar requests every month...

From their own mouths. That's all I need to know.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, tell us, how do you really feel about Streamlight?

Thanks for the heads up.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I received a surefire flashlight a couple years ago, for free, for submitting a hunting story to an online hunting magazine type website. All I can say is WOW, bright, and well made. Even better that I received it for free, over $100 FL for free!!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the Streamlight to your nearest police supply and see if they will make it right.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am still using the first 2 SureFires I bought back in the 1980's when they first came out.

My everyday carry, I even carry it in my pocket here in the house, and use it every day, my E1e has been washed in the washing machine 3 times, and I usually rewash all my clothes a second time to remove all of the soap residue, and it has been run through the dryer twice, as one time I felt it in the pants pocket when putting the clothes in the dryer, and it has never leaked, still works perfect.

SureFire is definately worth the money, IMHO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have never had an issue with a Streamlight. I like them and they are reasonably priced. I also use, Kel-Lites, Pelican, MagLite, PrincetonTec and others.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote