Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Pistols -Europe 1920s Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Can anyone supply a source or link about the economic and political problems in 1920s Germany vs pocket pistol production ? I've Goggled but can't find anything suitable.
There seem to be parallels with America today !!

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. But before WW1, there were no compulsory registration in Germany. The acquisition of firearms was almost free. After WW1 there was a gun-buying ban. Old stocks could not be confiscated and destroyed really, because nothing was registrated and recorded. After 1922/1928 there was a new gun laws, anyone with a legitimate permit could again buy a firearm. But I don´t know it just really. A real gun controll with a registration was only by the Nazis. And again in 1971 by the federal government.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know about the post WWI gun buying ban .
I'm trying to relate the political and economic problems causing more people buying the vest pocket pistols for defense .
I'm trying to see if there's a parallel to our [USA] increased demand for such pistols due to our economic and political problems.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
The gun buying ban was more or less due to the Versailles Treaty. This not only ordered the demilitarization of Germany, but also the disarmament of the civilian population. But all private weapons were not registered, so not really many would destroyd. Thank God! But now, the current weapons ban fanatics do this very thoroughly, in Germany. Many guns, rescued by two world wars, go into the blast furnaces now. Madness!!!
But now I understand your question. Hmmm .... possible. It was in the 20s this large rezesion. Although, very few, that really concerned, could afford a new gun. It was rather a different time.
After the 2nd world war, about 1955, this old gun laws was introduced again. And people were buying guns again, without any threat.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote