Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I finally decided to take that free offer for Windows 10. Windows said it would take about two hours, so I picked a time when I wouldn't be bothered. The conversion from Windows 7 to Windows 10 actually took more than 24 hours. You can expect to baby sit it to keep things moving. You snooze, you lose.

It looks good. Everything was where I left it. There was some customization I needed to perform to get to some favorites, get away from Bing, reinstall a web home page, keep Microsoft out of my business. Other than that, so far, so good.

Microsoft Edge works better than Internet Explorer. My Outlook seems to work faster.

I was hoping some of the loonies would disappear from the Political Forum, but you have to take the bad with the good I guess.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I have updated 20 operating systems in both desktops and laptops from Win8 to Win10 and none took more than 2 to 3 hours. Then again, we have current hardware and 120 mbps connection speeds. We did have one that stopped about 20 minutes in, but a reboot and a registry sweep fixed whatever hiccup it had.

Since migrating, there have been no OS issues and no software compatibility issues. Some of the advanced features are OK but not earth shaking. It is certainly better to have one desktop and not two, Win10 is very stable and the updates are easier to maintain. In regards to faster processing speeds, there is very little actual/measurable difference. We don't using IE, we don't so can't say if Edge is an improvement or not.

It is definitely worth the upgrade as MS will sooner or later drop development updates on Win7 & and Win8. But make sure you sweep your registry and clean out all old unused file extensions and dll's after updating and after any new Win10 updates.

And finally, in regards to the Crater, if you actually go there for intelligent dialogue then you are the loonie. Good luck with all that.

tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Attempting "Intelligent dialogue" with Kool-Aid drinkers, celebrity worshipers, and deniers is a waste of any sensible persons time.

After the slow download, no significant issues with Window 10 as yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what's your excuse for participating in the Crater then? Are you suggesting that you're not sensible?

In regards to Win10, a good file maintenance and registry cleaner will help the OS run at optimal levels.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
So, what is a good reg cleaner software?

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I use the free version of CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) by Piraform Ltd on my personal computers and have for many years. It works with Windows 10 just fine. I even used it on a network of two Windows servers and 26 client desktops I was responsible for maintaining for a few years. There are various tools to purchase for cleaning the registry but I never saw a need to.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CCleaner. Also Avast for antivirus, Malwarebytes for anti-malware, and Auslogics for disk defrag.

Run CCleaner daily and the rest once a week.

Always download from the developer's website and not from CNET. CNET had a rash of malware attacks and many of their downloads were affected.

If you want your computer to start faster and open programs quicker, use CCleaner > Tools > Startup and deselect most of the items in the Startup Folder. These are junk programs that your computer does not need and needlessly eat up system resources. if you don't have CCleaner you can also do the same through msconfig in the start box in Win10 and/or go to Task Manager.

One more important step that most people overlook is updating the BIOS on the computer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No regrets with Windows 10. Just takes some getting used to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm too old for that stuff...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote