New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dang K.A. coffee grinder went caput. Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
$300. Kitchen Aid grinder stopped working after only home use for about 2 years. Only works when turned upside down. Customer service said "we really don't sell parts". So, I need another electric coffee grinder/mill.
If anyone out there has a grinder they are happy with, please let me know. All the ones I checked out online had premature failures or other issues including lack of customer service. If you can help, thanks in advance.
Happy hunting.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
I bought this one about a year ago. Works fine, nice grind. Had a saeco titan that lasted 8 years. Sounded like a jet every morning. Scroll down for black & white.
Baratza also is a good choice.
https://www.bodum.com/us/en/10903-04us-3-bistro

Posts: 1071 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
A lot of the gears in these appliances are soft pot metal. I just bought and replaced gears in a KA stand mixer that was given to me. It was easy to do. New pot metal gears available on Amazon.

You might do a youtube search to see if your grinder can be repaired. Parts and food grade grease to repair my $400 mixer was $35 and two hours of time. The hardest part was removing all the old grease.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the brand of my grinder anymore, but it was a really good one.Some European name. I have drunk coffee all my life but about 10 years ago, I just lost the taste for it + haven't had a cup since. With my old blue one, after the beans were ground, the oiliness would leave some grounds adhered to the grinder + would just run my finger around the inside to put the remains in the Melita filter + one day had an epiphany that what I was doing was really stupid, so I started using a small brush to do the brushing clean, after seeing the blades come alive just one time w/o the switch on. Still love the smell, though.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind of like sliced bread.

Those who grew up with out it think, that there is nothing better then slice bread.

Same with grinding coffee. My grandparents my parents all grew up using coffee grinders.

After ground coffee came available they stopped using the grinders.

I ground coffee because we had grinders around.

My parents brought us kids beans so we could try them.

I learned why they brought grounds.

Pre-ground coffee just makes life easier.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I checked out Baratza, Bodum and at least 10 more brands and they are all subject to failure no matter the price range.
I just bought a -

ZWILLING Enfinigy Coffee Bean Grinder

Whenever this one quits, I will go back to the pre-ground.
Anne,
No gears in the K.A. It's direct drive. But, thanks for the heads up. Our mixer is a Kitchen Aid. We bought it as a demo. It has some noise, not much.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Krupps that I've used for over 20 years and it is still going strong.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krupps does make good products; just like they used to make fine arms, before being demilitarized. I still have an old hand coffee grinder. Already ground is easier, but the fresh ground has a better taste, I thought.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies.

nvmichael.

That Bodum model was at the top of my list until I read more reviews and checked out the Zwilling. I bought it directly from Henckels/Zwilling. If the new one is poor quality, the Bodum may be my last try. It is the nicest looking one out of of all of them.

CB