Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stonehenge Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I'm watching a show on NatGeo right now about Stonehenge. Seems some archeologists built a full-scale styrofoam replica of it as it looked 4,000 years ago. Anybody know where (GPS/Coogle Earth location) where it is?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
51°10'60.00"N
1°49'60.00"W

just type in "stonehedge" into google earth,comes right up.

actually,those coordinates are for the marker from google earth,not the actual monument, the actual coordinates are,
51` 10`43.92"N
1`49`34.33"w

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is an exact replica west of me in Washington State at Maryhill.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Rich

interesting.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lads,

I visited the original Stonehenge back in the early '70s. Actually snuck in and spent the night. Wasn't the newage attraction it is now.

No... I'm not into that newage (rhymes w/sewage) stuff. Just thought it would be cool to talk about as I got older. However... since spending the night there, I haven't aged!!!

What dear?... Oh, she says mentally!!!

Guess that's why I became a Druid. I know... I know... I don't look DRUISH!!! hammering

None the less, one of the great and continuing mysteries of our planet.

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Rich

Actually, it's not "exact" at all. It's concrete and stylized quite a bit. I don't think it's full scale either but I could be wrong.

I'm just trying to figure out how they got the lintels up on the pillars. Never mind how they moved them from the quarry miles away.

I spent a "Night on Bald Mountain" back when I was half my age, and listening to a lot of classical music.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Sam Hill believed HE invented concrete. Have you been to the museum?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to Stonehenge and it was interesting, but I was also impressed with the pub in nearby Salisbury that had been in business since the 1300s. Good beer too. beer

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote