New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Nitro express Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
So, my in-laws are coming to visit. Frowner Of course they (my nephews) all want me to take them out to the range to go shooting. Here is the kicker, my wife’s sister is also bringing along the 22 year old that got my 15 year old niece pregnant. Since he wants to be part of the family, most likely he will want to come along to the range. I already have made it known that I don’t like this person (have tried to get him in jail) so this might be the opportunity materialize my dissatisfaction on a physical level.
The gun is as follows: Ruger no.1, 7lb 9oz chambered in 450 Nitro Express, shooting a 550 grain bullet propelled by a mere 104.4gr of powder.

Question:
Should I throw a short eye relief scope on my Ruger #1 and have the father to my niece's son shoot said gun.

Choices:
Yes
No
Just Shoot the guy and blame self defence

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother-in-law, who knows everything about everything, insisted on shooting one of my "guns with a really big recoil" as his first experience with shooting. Apparently his highly evolved brain does not require practice or gradual familiarization with any idea or skill, but can somehow leap ahead to a high level of mastery in a single bound.

I handed him an H&R ultralight slug hunter shotgun (closer to 5 pounds than 6) and a 3-inch heavy slug round. Told him how to load it and close the gun (why did he need to be told?). I stood back and smiled, enjoying the summer sunshine. We were wearing T-shirts.

The gun went off, and he promptly dropped it and began screaming "check me for shrapnel, check me for shrapnel!!"

For me, it was probably the single most satisfying moment in our 25-year relationship...for him, not so much.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Umm, 22yr old having sex with a 15yr old, isn't that rape in your state??? I'd call the local PD and turn his child molesting butt in. Then somebody could molest his butt.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
tried that, I guess the great state of IA doesnt care as long as its consentual

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He would be part of the family and take care of that lady and her child or else be shown the business end of a 12 guage. What a POS for a human being.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There you go. The worse you treat him, the quicker he'll pull a Hank Snow and leave your niece all alone with your sister-in-law left to foot the bills for niece and child.
Whether you like him or not, if he's been accepted into their family, it seems that the least you could do is follow their lead, unless you plan on kicking in some bucks for the kid's upkeep. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Well, who's life is it? Your's or your niece's?

I suspect she will suffer enough for both of them. I also suspect that overall it is a good thing that at least he has hung around. We've dealt professionally with too many kids whose dad's just took off before they were even born. Who knows, he might even love the little kid (AND your niece), and the kid will definitely like having a father, whether he should or shouldn't.

I'd try to encourage him to do the best he can to become a responsible part of the family. You can always attack him later if that doesn't work out.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Alberta advice is sound But..... Let us know how it works out with the Ruger plan, You might also remove the pad just for giggles. tu2

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
Alberta advice is sound But..... Let us know how it works out with the Ruger plan, You might also remove the pad just for giggles. tu2

Cal30

Dont even need to take off the pad, Ruger #1's pads are brutal as is.

Alberta: As for him sticking around, I agree he should have some presence if he intends to stick around and be the father. Nothing he has done however, suggests that this is the case. If he does want to act like a father his presence in the family should not constitute a physical relationship with my niece. Love her or not, he should respect the law! I also believe he should accept some repercussions on what he did (such as child support). He has requested not to be on the birth certificate and only pays for a few diapers, formula, and cloths. He shows all the signs of a dead beat and a future pedophile. HE DESERVES TO BE IN JAIL!!!! I wish he had never shot a gun before, that way I could even tell him to put the butt of the gun securly in his arm pit!

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, as wasbeeman said, if you want to guarantee he ISN'T around and DOESN'T shoulder any responsibility, then just keep going with the attitude you are displaying here.

Apparently your niece saw something in him which you don't...enough anyway to consentually cooperate in creating her own pregnancy.

I am not in anyway saying he is a nice guy, a solid citizen so far, or doing enough, etc. But I can tell you this, your treating him like shit won't make him any better.

I would think that for the child's sake, you could try to work with what you have available...at least there is still some smidgen of a chance you might succeed in getting more from him for the mother and child in that manner.

You already know what the law will do...nada...zilch...zip, so there is nothing constructive to be gained from chanting a mantra of what "ought to be".

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta,
I have no dog in this fight but your comment "enough to consentually cooperate in creating her own pregnancy" is way off, she is a 15 year old KID and he is a 22 year old MAN.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here we go with all the "should have been", "ought to have" etc, etc, bullshit. Point to be made is you can whine about how things should have been all day long and it ain't gonna change WHAT IS.
As I said, if the family has accepted the guy, you need to put on your big girl panties and deal with it as they are.
If you are determined to see how big of a prick you can be, have enough balls to tell the sister-in-law that you wouldn't be comfortable with him around and to not bring him. It is your home after all.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My grandfather was 27 when he married my 15 year old grand mother they were married 56 years.

Rasied 6 very productive boys.

If he is willing to make it right marry her raise the child ect.

One never knows how things will turn out.

Iam sure the neice had nothing to do with it. The idea that 15 yoas are kids and do not know what they are doing is BS.

If you would end up shooting him this thread will come back and haunt you.

Posts: 19370 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I am a little perplexed at the latest responses. What i am pissed about (beyond that he knocked up my niece) is that he is still having a physical relationship with my niece. THAT IS STATUTORY RAPE, he raped her probably continues to do so (they sleep in the same bed). So you would still be alright with the situation if he was 35 and 'wanted to play the role of the father'. In response to me "putting my big girl panties on", I have made it well known to my in-laws that the police will be called if he steps one foot on my property. With divorce rates well in the 50 percentile and the fact that he has cheated on her during her pregnancy (with a 17 year old) the odd are against him sticking around long term. Every one of my in-laws is accepting of him and treating this like its no big deal. All said and done, I want to project that I have moral standards and that I put value in our legal code. To casually accept this individual and welcome him to the family goes against these beliefs and does no justice in values that I want to project on my own children.

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The police will care little if they have no complaining party and a lack of evidence. However, Child Protective Services will be glad to take a complaint. Parents allowing their underage daughter to sleep with a mature adult in their home is child abuse. The fact that he fathered a child with her does not change that. Also, allowing a known child rapist to have unsupervised and intimate contact with an infant is ill advised and could be dangerous. Especially if such contact continues as the infant grows to toddler, young child, and to adolescent. It sound's like your wife's sister is failing to act to prevent sexual contact and that she is acting as a facilitator. If so, consider reporting her activities to CPS.

"Sexual Assault of a Child: Failure to Act to Prevent Sexual Intercourse or Sexual Contact

The defendant is a person responsible for the welfare of a child
The victim was under 16 years of age at the time of the alleged offense
Another person intended to, was having, or had sexual intercourse or contact with the victim
The defendant had knowledge that said person intended to have, was having, or had sexual intercourse or contact with the victim
The defendant was physically and emotionally capable of taking action which would have prevented the sexual intercourse or contact from taking place or being repeated
The defendant failed to take action that would have prevented the sexual intercourse or sexual contact from taking place or being repeated
The defendant's alleged failure to act exposed the child to an unreasonable risk that the sexual intercourse or sexual contact may occur, or facilitated the sexual intercourse or contact that occurred between the victim and another person

The maximum penalty for sexual assault of a child, failure to act to prevent sexual intercourse or contact is 40 years prison and a $100,000.00 fine"

Wisconsin Dept of Children and Families - Reporting Child Abuse

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Making life hard for this 22yo male is too easy. Sorting out your Sister in laws family's (and nieces) morals would be the hard part.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
excellent point, Code4.
Of course, when you bring DHS into the picture, it's gonna be the mom and dad that have their tits in the wringer.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The age of consent in Iowa is 16, with a close in age exemption for those aged 14 and 15, who may engage in sexual acts with partners less than 4 years older.

Section 709.4 states: A person commits sexual abuse in the third degree when the person performs a sex act under any of the following circumstances... 2(c) The other person is fourteen or fifteen years of age and any of the following are true...(4) The person is four or more years older than the other person.

Section 709.15 forbids, amongst other things, sexual contact between a school employee and a "...person who is currently enrolled in or attending a public or nonpublic elementary or secondary school, or who was a student enrolled in or who attended a public or nonpublic elementary or secondary school within thirty days of any violation..." There exist similar laws for those who provide or purport to provide mental health services {§709.15}, officers in charge of offenders and juveniles {§709.16}.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I said no, for this reason: The short eye-relief scope is a great idea, but the reward is too short-lived. Tell him he's a great macho-man kind-of-guy and you need his help sighting in this rifle. You're sure he's a lot better shot than you are, so you need his help. Then set him up on sandbags -- ask him to shoot a 3 shot one hole group -- that the builder guaranteed of course. And enjoy.

Posts: 10011 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have added... get him to agree he'll do it - because he's such a great macho-man and great shot. And when he can't -- get him to try over and over and over again. Like I said, enjoy. Til he totally wimps out -- then enjoy even more. Make sure she sees it.

Posts: 10011 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am late to this discussion. thecanadian you seem to have your mind made up, but I will try.
Are you after revenge?
Are you trying to "teach him a lesson"?
What does your wife and her sister think of this guy. If they are Ok with him coming along then they may have a different view than you.
Does their view matter to you?
Are you trying to do what is best for your family, including your wife, her sister and your niece?
I know, questions, questions, but hopefully you can see that I am trying to focus your views and actions.
Note that if I were in your shoes I might well have a similar view of him, but, my wife occasionally has good opinions and views so I do listen to her now and then!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted:

Make sure she sees it.
Maybe, if you want her to hate you. You are not likely to win any points with your niece by embarassing the father of her child. In fact she will likely feel obliged to defend him.

Maybe you'll get lucky, and she already hates him. But she also may still love him.

Either way, she will most likely see it as a vengeful act on your part, which is not likely to make her view that aspect of your character with esteem.

Not saying you shouldn't be angry. But am suggesting that whatever you do should be aimed at improving the situation, not making it rougher on all involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
You're probably right. I have never understood a woman's mind, and much less am almost-woman's mind. Back in the cave man days -- when I grew up -- it seemed that women wanted a man that wasn't a wimp. But what do I know? In today's world, you are most certainly right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up shortly after the earth's crust cooled and while it is true that women don't want a wimp for a provider, having a hugh calibre rifle repeatedly pound the snot out of you is a sign of stupidity not manliness.
FYI, I was talking to a lady cop one day at the range and according to her, the guys that buy the hugh calibre pistols and rifles are trying to compensate for short comings in other areas. I don't know, I'm just sayin'. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasbeeman,

You are undoubtedly a much better person than I am. My thoughts on yours.

QUOTE: "having a hugh calibre rifle repeatedly pound the snot out of you is a sign of stupidity not manliness."

I suspect he's probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer -- let her see that too. Personally I like shooting big bores, but shooting them off the bench is a chore best not done by someone who doesn't know what to expect. (That's why it would be fun to watch).

QUOTE: "I was talking to a lady cop one day at the range and according to her, the guys that buy the hugh calibre pistols and rifles are trying to compensate for short comings in other areas."

Now this would be an intersting topic of conversation, depending on how this lady cop looks. Assuming she was attractive enough that you could rule out that she caused any such "shortcomings" she observed, I'd ask for the size (no pun intended) of her sample. I suspect it isn't large enough to have scientific validity -- but if it does, well then, that's another issue.

Like I say, you are definitely a better person than I am.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than a "just to see what it's like", the largest rifle I have ever shot frequently was a 8mmRM. I bought it used and when the proprietor of the gun shop told me "it comes with a partial box of ammo", I should have known something was up. But I was enamoured with the idea of the ultimate elk rifle and so I bought it.
I worked with it all summer. I even built a stand up bench to shoot it from. (I am philosopically opposed to brakes) Before elk season rolled around, I had decided that there was nothing I disliked bad enough nor was there anything I was so anxious to kill that I needed to continue shooting that rifle. And so, I sent it down the road.

John
Past Pres. of Wimps-R-Us

FYI: Lady cop was a petite good-looking woman that taught self defense to women. As far as the breadth of her samplings, considering her skill set, I thought circumspection was the best path.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
From a different perspective...

How close are you to your Neice?
Would you like for her to think of you as the asshole uncle for the forseeable future?

Alienating people you love is seldom the best choice.

I only bring this up because I have made a similar mistake.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Today was the big day. I took the A##H0le (Curtis) out to the range with some of my other in-laws. Unfortunately, after seeing me shoot the rifle, he declined to shoot it. However, all was not lost! I set my father in law up with my 338, equipped with a baffle style muzzle break on station 1. Curtis wanted to shoot as well, so I set him up on station 2 with a 22. I did offer him some hearing protection but HE DECLINED (dumb). Two shots later sitting right next to the 338, he had enough. Cool

---Thomas Jefferson