New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guy Fawkes Day - Good or Bad? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Knowing how flaky the English are, I can't decide whether Guy Fawkes Day is a good thing or bad thing (?)

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19314 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flakey?
No Tea-Baggers this side of the Atlantic Red Face)

He was the only man ever to enter Parliament with honest intentions!
An observation, not a justification.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 574 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Knowing how flaky the English are,

That has to be one of the most sweeping statements I've ever read here but putting that aside..... Dave has it dead right.

They should have given the man a medal rather than punish him the way they did!

Mind you, I had no idea the colonials marked the occasion. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Knowing how flaky the English are,

That has to be one of the most sweeping statements I've ever read here but putting that aside..... Dave has it dead right.

They should have given the man a medal rather than punish him the way they did!

Mind you, I had no idea the colonials marked the occasion. rotflmo

Steve,
Will probably forgot you were English(and Margereth Thatcher) or he would not made the statement quite so sweeping.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I was only pulling his leg as I would suspect he was pulling the legs of us Brits. Wink

One of Us
Picture of MattMck
posted Hide Post
Just came back from a fireworkd displayat my sons schoolhere in the UK. Kids had a great time and they did not even burn an effigy. Was Churchill flakey??
Matt

I do not hunt in order to kill, but kill in order that I have hunted.

'If ur'e gonna do it, do it right!'

Posts: 77 | Location: England | Registered: 12 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Knowing how flaky the English are

tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
No Tea-Baggers this side of the Atlantic

No "Tea-Baggers" here either...but...if you inferring the Honorable members of the Tea Party Movement...they are the epitome of NON-flaky.

Actually they could be thought of as the Anti-flaky party. Wink

Obama and like minded individuals (Btits) being the epitome of flaky.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
suspect he was pulling the legs of us Brits.

Knowing Will,

Probably NOT.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MattMck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
No Tea-Baggers this side of the Atlantic

No "Tea-Baggers" here either...but...if you inferring the Honorable members of the Tea Party Movement...they are the epitome of NON-flaky.

Actually they could be thought of as the Anti-flaky party. Wink

Obama and like minded individuals (Btits) being the epitome of flaky.

Excuse me for saying so but you are acting like a bit of a tit.
Matt

I do not hunt in order to kill, but kill in order that I have hunted.

'If ur'e gonna do it, do it right!'

Posts: 77 | Location: England | Registered: 12 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattMck:
Just came back from a fireworkd displayat my sons schoolhere in the UK. Kids had a great time and they did not even burn an effigy. Was Churchill flakey??
Matt

They still allow Fireworks in the UK? Big Grin That movie V for Vendetta kind of rejuvenated Guy Fawkes day, for us non Brits. Churchill was definitely Flaky. What else would you call a guy who met his his cabinet ministers, while having a bath. rotflmo

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Guy Fawkes Night originates from the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 when a group of provincial English Catholics plotted to assassinate the Protestant King James I of England and VI of Scotland and replace him with a Catholic head of state. The plot failed when Guy Fawkes was discovered and arrested with the gunpowder placed underneath the House of Lords.

The survival of the king was first celebrated on 5 November 1605. The surviving conspirators were executed in January 1606 and in that month the 'Observance of 5th November Act 1605', commonly known as the 'Thanksgiving Act' was passed, ensuring that for more than 250 years, November 5th was kept free as a day of thanksgiving.

The anniversary of the plot's failure was for years celebrated by the ringing of church bells, special sermons, and the lighting of bonfires. The tradition of burning effigies was started in 1673 when an effigy of the Whore of Babylon covered in Papal symbols was burned.

Following the restoration of the English Catholic hierarchy in 1850, which fueled anti-Catholic sentiment and the burning of effigies of the Pope and Archbishop of Westminster, the 1606 Act was repealed in 1859; but while November 5th is no longer celebrated as a day of thanksgiving, the tradition of Guy Fawkes or bonfire night continues.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JabaliHunter:
Guy Fawkes Night originates from the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 when a group of provincial English Catholics plotted to assassinate the Protestant King James I of England and VI of Scotland and replace him with a Catholic head of state. The plot failed when Guy Fawkes was discovered and arrested with the gunpowder placed underneath the House of Lords.

The survival of the king was first celebrated on 5 November 1605. The surviving conspirators were executed in January 1606 and in that month the 'Observance of 5th November Act 1605', commonly known as the 'Thanksgiving Act' was passed, ensuring that for more than 250 years, November 5th was kept free as a day of thanksgiving.

The anniversary of the plot's failure was for years celebrated by the ringing of church bells, special sermons, and the lighting of bonfires. The tradition of burning effigies was started in 1673 when an effigy of the Whore of Babylon covered in Papal symbols was burned.

Following the restoration of the English Catholic hierarchy in 1850, which fueled anti-Catholic sentiment and the burning of effigies of the Pope and Archbishop of Westminster, the 1606 Act was repealed in 1859; but while November 5th is no longer celebrated as a day of thanksgiving, the tradition of Guy Fawkes or bonfire night continues.

Executed is an understatement. Big Grin They were hung, drawn and quartered.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If we're not talking tongue in cheek:

Bearing in mind the definition of flaky is unreliable or untrustworthy, I'd say both nations have more than their fair share of flaky bastards but that neither nation is anywhere near intrinsically flaky.

Recent flaky Americans might be Bernie Madoff, their current President, former President Clinton and plenty more.

On the British side we have Bliar, Brown, Campbell & Meddlesome and plenty more.

Perhaps it might be worth noting that politicians from both nations have got us both involved in illegal wars and frankly ALL of 'em deserve to be put in the dock for treason and that despite that, our brave young men and women from both nations are supporting each other and sacrificing their lives, limbs and minds as part of that.

I have the greatest respect for the brave individuals in the military of both nations but absolutely none for the politicians who got us all into the mess they did.

(IMO) Neither nation is flaky but politicians and a very few others of both are.

Lane, you might like to reflect on what happened the last time you got political..... Wink rotflmo

The mods will be shifting this to the political forum if much more shit gets thrown and generalisations get made. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Its still a damn fine reason to buy over-priced fireworks and scare all the family pets and other livestock in the area - plus it makes for pracise for the local Fire Brigades putting out the house fires that always follow the event .

Actually I think the public sale of fireworks should be totally banned , but annual big displays with a modest admission fee should be run by the local Civic Authorities. More bangs for your bucks , I say .....

Didnt Ronny Reagan call someone "flakey" years ago ...?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Something I have noticed from AR is how many of transcontinental friends are uncomfortable with fact, events and people unless they are able to classify them as "good" or "bad" absolutely.

Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Something I have noticed from AR is how many of transcontinental friends are uncomfortable with fact, events and people unless they are able to classify them as "good" or "bad" absolutely.

Big Grin

Mate, I think it's just a culture thing.

We have it abd they don't! animal animal animal

Sorry guys. I was only pulling your legs! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with the Brits is that they don't really have any deep and meaningful culture. Not like we do in here in America anyway. Lets take a look at the American counterpart to Guy Fawkes.

Mr. Evel Keievel. Eat your hearts out Brits!!

Oh yeah since I am dealing with British people here who as we all know don't have a sense of humor I guess I have to put one of these wink wink icons at the end. Wink Wink

Hey guys don't take Will seriously he is a bitter, confused and constipated old man.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Timothy Mc Veigh is probably a better comparison, except he was succesfull. If he had failed, would they now be celebrating Tim Mc Veigh Day? Big Grin