Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it about that smell? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I found a bag in one of my piles of "stuff".
It was full of old Rem paper .410 shells.
I fired one into the snowbank just to be able to smell the empty! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I hear you. There is pure magic in a paper shell, but I don't know why. The waxes?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16473 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
All I can tell you is that smell as well as from the 22LR smells like my childhood + evokes great memories + feelings.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I thought that it was just me.

I always thought that the old paper shotshells smelled better!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12566 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did shoot a plastic hull just to compare them.
The paper smells better and stronger by far!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of papers in a 16 ga.
Even if I’m hunting, I stop and take a sniff of the just fired hull.
Takes me back over 50 years.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2639 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are all aflicted by this virus!

When I first saw the title I thought of something else.

Once you get used to the smell, you got it licked sofa

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67174 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Blind man walks past the fish market
Says Hello Ladies.
Thanks Saeed, sometimes these posts take an odd twist.

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my kids are grown now,but everyone has had time on the range
+ EVERY ONE has heard me me say that same thing every time.Hey.It's true.I may be a bit off from some standards but to me;I think being honest to my own children is paramount.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sights and smells while hunting, or the memories while just thinking about hunting still turn me on. I know my hunting days are numbered, but just the smells of a damp, crisp, early morning with a little fog lying low gets me on-point. I'm ready and eager for IT to step out, while I'm standing looking out at a stand of trees, or driving down a lonely two-lane highway with no one else apparently up. That gets all my senses going.

Love to smell that early morning smell of mother earth, and hear that sound of a round being racked into position. I may not be 20 again, but I'm damn-sure twenty years younger at that moment.

Posts: 13799 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
The sights and smells while hunting, or the memories while just thinking about hunting still turn me on. I know my hunting days are numbered, but just the smells of a damp, crisp, early morning with a little fog lying low gets me on-point. I'm ready and eager for IT to step out, while I'm standing looking out at a stand of trees, or driving down a lonely two-lane highway with no one else apparently up. That gets all my senses going.

Love to smell that early morning smell of mother earth, and hear that sound of a round being racked into position. I may not be 20 again, but I'm damn-sure twenty years younger at that moment.

+1000 the smells of a hunt as many said bring back a lot of good memories.

Posts: 19417 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:

Yep.

Sadly, we cannot bring back the smells we find on a hunt.

But, we do bring back all the sounds.

Many people make comments about our safari videos as it makes them feel as if they are actually THERE with us.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67174 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I grew up shooting paper shells out of my Auto-5 long before plastic shells were developed. In fact, I have a few paper 12's left. Yes, there is a difference in the smell of a shot paper shell and a plastic shell. This all reminds me of early morning duck hunting on the rice islands at Utah's Clear Lake Wildlife Refuge, with the wind blowing amid overcast skies; my black lab sitting next to me as we both listened to the sound of whistling wings overhead as the ducks set their wings and started their glide into the decoys. . . . Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just being in the woods + still,enjoying the silent times,smells,+ peace of mind,+ it never matters if you shot something or not.That was never the real reason for being there.That is between you + your God.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
A couple of other good smells:

Hoppe's When cleaning the 'ol 12 Double

Neat's Foot Oil and Saddle Soap in a Saddle shop. The son in law is into saddle making, man does his shop smell good!

I still have paper .410 shells 16 Ga shells. Might touch some off for a good breath.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, Hoppe's! tu2 That smell is like cologne! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should say that. My ex- many many years ago said that it would make a fine men's cologne + I agree.True bit here;it also helps to cure headaches. Don't know why.But the smell does it,for me at least.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still use paper cased cartridges in my old 20 bore.

That smell, on a cold, frosty morning, takes some beating.

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fine tribute, Steve. Thank you.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16473 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the smell has something to do with the wax. Whatever it is, the smell of a paper hull is nothing short of wonderful. Current and future generations are missing out on a wonderful thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's only two things in this world that smell like fish; and one of them is fish.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Steve.
Are paper shells still made there, or are they old stock?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Great pictures Steve.
Are paper shells still made there, or are they old stock?

Yes, they are still available.

https://www.hullcartridge.co.u...dges/three-crowns-20

12, 16, and 20

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe,I can only assume you are reffering to the same reference in the blues songs about "a one eyed cat peeking in a seafood store."Yeah,that was the code.