Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stolen Tractor Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Some scum bags stole my John Deere 5210 4 wheel drive with front end loader. They loaded it onto MY 20' Big tex dove tail to haul it off....

If anyone happens to stumble across it I am offering a reward for bloody scalps!

It was stolen from Crosby Texas apperently last Thursday the 13th. Mad

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That SUX!! Bet that it's headed south. Mad
When did it happen? I can see Interstate 10 traffic from where I live. I'll keep an eye out.

Does it happen to have a surprise that can be detonated remotely? Wink

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does it happen to have a surprise that can be detonated remotely?

Damn, I shoulda thought of that.......

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Had my tractor stolen a few years ago. I figured it wound up somewhere in Texas. Maybe Crosby? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Had my tractor stolen a few years ago. I figured it wound up somewhere in Texas. Maybe Crosby? Smiler

Texas yes, Crosby no. Close but no cigar. The air conditioner cuts in and out. Do you remember what caused this?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Some scum bags stole my John Deere 5210 4 wheel drive with front end loader. They loaded it onto MY 20' Big tex dove tail to haul it off....

If anyone happens to stumble across it I am offering a reward for bloody scalps!

It was stolen from Crosby Texas apperently last Thursday the 13th. Mad

Sorry to hear about your tractor. I'll keep and eye out.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks M16!

quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Gee thanks Will, that's relevant?

posted Hide Post
I served on a jury a while back concerning the same thing. John Deere had a service that booked the serial numbers of any stolen John Deere. Whenever it comes in for service it is flagged. I'm in Indiana the tractor was flagged in New York.

Good Luck

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Get a rope!

That is a damn shame.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hey, just giving your story a bump to the top!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I assume you gave the police and John Deere the serial number. There may be other data bases as well to register serial numbers of stolen tractors, perhaps tractorhouse.com

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I will circulate this everywhere I can. I hope they catch the dirt bags and that your tractor, etc. is located and returned -- and still in good working order.

So sorry to hear this...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
post it on Craigslist with the reward info

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
raamw: post it on Craigslist with the reward info
Excellent idea. Might also watch to see if it shows up there.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have given all the info to John Deere. I did the reward post on craigslist....got an immediate hit from someone claiming to be Humble, Texas PD wanting the plate number of the trailer.....called Humble PD to check it out...they had no officer by that name noe did they care that someone had impersonated a police officer IN WRITING.......Cops are becomming useless!

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas and kind thoughts.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you Google "stolen tractor database" several database websites come up where you can register your tractor information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get another tractor and trailer, you might register it in the TRIP program offered by Texas DPS, you register your farm equipment and they send you stickers to put on the equipment (duplicate stickers for each piece of equipment so you can put one in a less than obvious location), the sticker allows any law enforcement officer to stop the vehicle towing (or driving) these pieces of equipment to check ownership...and they do just that, I have been stopped more than once towing a trailer with equipment loaded on it so the numbers can be checked.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2761 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
On your own damn trailer no less!

Assholes!

By the way, I can't get it started. Oh, and, when was the last time you changed the hydraulic fluid? It's filthy.

I have no complaints about the trailer.

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe its time to have lojack on all the equipment.
Sorry about your situation. In my mind should be handled the same as cattle or horse thieves were at the turn of the century.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
May be too late now, but, didn't you have your equipment insured? My trailers, tractor, four wheelers, Polaris, walk in deer cooler, grain bins, houses and barns are all under one farm & ranch policy.

A Buddy rolled a four-wheeler off the cliff where the houses are. You know how far down that is! He wasn't hurt ... no idea why, but it rolled the four wheeler into a ball. It was actually round.

Insurance paid up.

I am sorry someone stole your tractor. I would be so angry! I hope it turns up somewhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguy458:
If you get another tractor and trailer, you might register it in the TRIP program offered by Texas DPS, you register your farm equipment and they send you stickers to put on the equipment (duplicate stickers for each piece of equipment so you can put one in a less than obvious location), the sticker allows any law enforcement officer to stop the vehicle towing (or driving) these pieces of equipment to check ownership...and they do just that, I have been stopped more than once towing a trailer with equipment loaded on it so the numbers can be checked.

Karl
Let me get this straight: You put a sticker on your equipment which says to the constabulary: "Please stop me to check to see if my equipment is stolen"? I think I would find the risk of having my equipment stolen less than the hassle of being stopped every time I happened to take it on the highway.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek: The sticker doesn't really say please stop me, it simply gives peace officers permission to check ownership without having to find or make up some violation. The times I have been pulled over to check my tractor was being moved on a trailer that was not registered to me. The officers (DPS) told me both times the reason they stopped me was because the TRIP registrant was not the same as the trailer registrant. As for the risk of theft I would rather endure the hassle than lose a $40-50K tractor. I can't speak for Jtex but he might be in favor of some cop pulling over someone towing a TRIP sticker equipped trailer and JD tractor that don't come back to the same registrant as the towing truck. I. like Wendell, insure everything, but it is huge hassle dealing with insurance companies and farm equipment theft.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2761 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Assholes!

By the way, I can't get it started. Oh, and, when was the last time you changed the hydraulic fluid? It's filthy.

Thanks for the humor Wendell.....I could use some.

A four wheeler off the cliff???? Behind your houses????? Damn! That's a long way down!

No......it wasn't insured......homeowners policy explicitly excluded RV's and non registered "conveyences".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The TRIP sticker is a good idea! My tractor ( when I get another ) hardly ever leaves my property.....at least under my control.....

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
A four wheeler off the cliff???? Behind your houses????? Damn! That's a long way down!

Yep! The guys at the dealership said they had never seen one that bad ... ever. Bad thing is that Mike rolled down the hill with the 4 wheeler. Not sure why he wasn't injured any worse than he was.

Sorry about your tractor. Makes me angry. I hope they catch him and he spends a lot of time in the pokey.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Assholes!

I guess your sense of humor doesn't extend beyond the Texas border?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry this happened. When I hear of this it reminds me I should put gps locators on my tractors and trailers. My problem is getting around to doing it.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thechamp
posted Hide Post
JTex - FWIW I have my farm equipment, tractors and trailers, etc., insured through Farm Bureau. For the peace of mind it provides I consider it well worth the cost. My neighbor bought a new tractor 2 years ago and they delivered it before the weekend. Sometime over the weekend it was stolen. bewildered And his place isn't exactly easy to see much less where he parks it. Interesting how that worked out.

Good luck on getting it back. The John Deere dealers should be your best bet to flag it if it comes in for service.

Posts: 257 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 17 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy that bought a Gator and kubota tractor off the same guy on Craigslist. He took the gator in for service and it was flagged. Texas DPS was all over him for that, but he let them search all the other equipment. Obviously, the Kubota came up dirty. He was almost prosecuted for possession of stolen equipment. He had a bill of sale and everything that made him feel it was kosher. I suppose that should be a warning to used equipment buyers off Craigslist. He was out something like $25-30k.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:

Assholes!

Actually, it does, but I have found it often stops at the California border. Big Grin

Now, come on Jason ... that's funny!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX,
Had a rash of that around here some years ago. I know of one farmer and one contractor who had their equipment recovered in, of all places, Houston. FWIW.

By God, Woodrow; it's been one hell of a party.

Posts: 44 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Up here in the Pacific NorthWest, it's rare to encounter a stolen tractor. Evidently, the thieves like to steal them here, and then ship them down south or to the North East.

I have a GPS tracker unit that is 12vac operated. I keep telling myself I need to hook that inline under the hood somewhere where no one would notice. They're pretty cheap ($20), but might be good insurance. I keep my nicer tractor locked up in the shop, but it's not uncommon for me to have another tractor or two in the tool shed just waiting to walk away.

Probably doesn't help that the key for most of these machines is universal by brand.

Posts: 1307 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:

Assholes!

Did I miss something?

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I miss something?

Yes, you are missing a tractor ... remember?

Ah, love that Texas humor! animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do now........

Texas humor surronds me.....

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, it does, but I have found it often stops at the California border. Big Grin

Now, come on Jason ... that's funny!

That IS funny! The truth is I am ditching this state very soon. So soon in fact that I am already looking at Californians the way you Texas do....
Big Grin

quote:
Did I miss something?

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I thought that you took issue with Will's quip then turned around and laughed at Wendell's. Regardless I hope you get your tractor back(after it crushes one of the thieves, of course).

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sweat JB.

Heard back from my homeowners ins just this morning.....it appears they are gonna cover the tractor and a portion of the trailer.

I told 'em Wendall had it!

Wendell they asked if you would go ahead and change the fluids and detail it before they pick it up. They too are fine with the trailer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Y'all know we laugh about this stuff to diffuse our anger and frustration but truth is way too much of it goes on. We cant count on the authorities. Around here folks have started searching job sites after hours. Amazing what turns up. There has got to be a better way to stop this short of lynching. I cant believe most of the people buying this stuff don't have some idea its hot. Its nice that john Deere can flag something after the fact but how about a place where folks can run the numbers before hand? Can you run it like a vin on a car and if so is there a website you can do this?

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell was just funnin' me!!!! That rascal.

Come to find out he didn't have my tractor after all!

Some MISERABLE GOAT FORNICATING INBRED PIECE OF EXCREMENT in San Jacinto County did!

Damned if San Jacinto County Sherriffs dept didn't find the damn thing Friday morning about 2:00 A.M.

Gotsta take back all that smack talk about cops, it appears those SanJac county boys take their commision serious.

I GOT MY TRACTOR BACK!!!!!! Who'd a thunk it? Specially that quick?

I guess I have just had too much exposure to Houston Police Department and Harris county Sherrif's dept. If it ain't a seat belt ticket they just don't care.....

The turd had MY tractor and a different stolen trailer on his property........

Thanks for all the good wishes fellas, looked like it worked!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well chalk one up for the good guys. A job well done to those deputies. glad you got your tractor back! Jim, you are still out a trailer are you not? I was serious about putting lojack on these things though. I think that, along with a data base individuals could check numbers on would go a long way toward helping stop this. I will not even mention nice long jail sentences with no discretion on the part of some ultra liberal judge. Congratulations on some good police work along with a little blind ass luck!

Happiness is a warm gun