New
Find
Notify
Tools

repelling bees Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted
I didn't want to hijack Daniel77's thread, so I started a new one.
How to I keep bees from nesting ( building a hive ) under my shed?
Last year I had to remove about 100 lbs. of honey and comb and hose everythig down. No bees this year, but........... I want to keep them away ! Any ideas?

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I've got no info on repelling them, but I can tell you two things to do when you first see them.
First, and best, make your local county Ag agent's acquaintance. He'll know a bunch of the local beekeepers, who'll gladly come and remove them to get a free hive.
Second, and my least preferred option, buy a quart of Malathion insecticide at your local hardware store and spray the area they're trying to build in liberally. They will die or leave.

As we are currently having big problems with honeybees mysteriously dieing, I'd sure rather not kill any if I had another choice.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of foamy dish soap ...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. Nobody seems to have any repellant....... I'll just wait them out and see what happens! I don't want to kil them, just don't want them to start under the shed again.
I'll keep the Ag agent in mind!

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Call a beekeeper to remove the hive if they build a new one. Don't kill them if it can be avoided.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call a black bear - he'll take care of it for you ...

Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Down in Texas, you want to be careful as you may be dealing with africanize honey bees.
As posted, soapy water is as good as anything for killing bees. But the residual smell of the wax and honey may perhaps draw another swarm.
I would just spray the area where the bees were with any of the wasp/hornet sprays. Really wet it down.
Also as posted, your county agent --and perhaps the police dept and fire station-- should have a list of bee keepers that will help you out. They may charge a fee as usually feral swarms aren't worth too much for bees or honey.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
Just an update: saw some bees buzin around a hole in the bottom of my shed! I threw some ( two handfulls) moth balls under the shed! I haven't seen any bees for a couple of days!
Maybe I'm on to something???

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soapy water works as well as anything for killing bees.
Based on the fact that it had to be a pretty good spot to begin with and the lingering odor of the wax and honey, they will/might come back.
Clean out all of the honey and wax you can and then spray the area well with any of the wasp sprays. Really wet it down.
Keep an eye on the spot 'cause if a swarm comes in, they will just hang on the spot for a couple of days before they start to build. That's when to call your bee keeper or zap 'em with the soapy water. They are much less aggressive when they haven't yet built a hive.
As posted, your county agent, the fire dept, and the police should have a list of local beekeepers. Some of the beekeepers will charge to remove a swarm.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RLman, you may be onto something because my rural mail lady will toss in some mothballs when wasp start building a nest in a mail box.
She said it didn't kill them but they would leave.

Aim for the exit hole

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've only just seen this but FWIW, I use mothballs to dissuade them from nesting and it works for me.

From my experience, they get one whiff of them and go elsewhere.

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the moth balls seem to be doing the trick!
That and the duct tape over the hole!

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

one of us
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of a joke from way back in grade school. Have you ever smelled mothballs?

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
How to you get your nose between his legs!

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on