Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ed Zern, damn he was a funny man! Login/Join 
one of us
posted
For those of us of an age, we remember him for the last pages of Field and Stream. I recently purchased "The Best of Ed Zern" to refresh my memory of him and he was a treasure. Sitting around a campfire with him or in the pub after fishing must have been interesting.

quote:
There is, among hard-core fisherman, a conviction that truth, like pure water and the fish that live in it, is a precious commodity, not to be squandered or over-used. I respect that conviction, and those who hold it. And if the philosphers ask, "What is truth?", I answer, "I haven't the foggiest notion, gents. But one thing it ain't is those stories you hear at Bud Lilly's or Phil Wright's or Dan Bailey's or any other tackle shop or fishing camp."

As for me, I get all the truth I need in the newspaper every morning, and every chance I get I go fishing, or swap stories with fishermen, to get the taste of it out of my mouth.

Field and Stream, 1977

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And let me tell you a bout the big one that did not getaway Wink

Posts: 19370 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
When I was very young, I enjoyed the Ed Zern last page so much that I would leave it to the end when reading my Grandfather's magazines. Leave it to the last? Yes, like dessert to be savored and lingered over.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
"How to Tell Fish From Fisherman" is on my shelf.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote