Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home coming Login/Join 
Picture of Bakes
posted
Guys whats a home coming parade all about?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Usually, a homecoming parade refers to a parade held at or near a school (high school or university) to celebrate the event called Homecoming. One home game of the season in football is designated Homecoming, when all the alumni are supposed to attend, hang out, support the team, etc--that is, "come home" to their school.

In addition to a Homecoming Parade there is usually a ceremony at hafltime when a Homecoming Queen (and sometime also a king) are crowned--they come from the active student body.

And there is also typically a Homecoming Dance for students.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well there you go. Thanks mate.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While Nitro Express definition of the homecoming high school usage is accurate (personally I've never heard of a real parade associated with a high school homecoming but that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist), IMO the more common usage for a "homecoming" parades is to show support or praise for some local celebrity (for instance, a wouned Medal of Honor winner returning to his home town) or group. A current prime example would be a parade for the local National Guard unit returning from overseas duty in Iraq/Afghanistan. Homecoming parades are mostly a small town event although the parades for winning sports teams might be considered a homecoming parade or possibly the now nearly extinct ticker tape parades in NYC for some of the earlier astronauts.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in my hometown, and in my high school, it was the first home game of the football year .. Hometown being a small town in Ark .. highschool being in houston ..

ark - parade, dance, and game.
highschool, dance and game

just an excuse for a social gathering

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo is certainly correct in his definition of a homecoming parade--I failed to think of that application.

Bakes, if you could tell us the context in which you saw the term, we could then determine which definition fits--

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote