New
Find
Notify
Tools

Posting Location Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted
Just a short rant. I'm trying to understand why so many leave out their location in their profile or at the least, neglect to put it in their classified ad? I peruse the classifieds often and on many occasions I'm interested in an item but NO LOCATION. I like doing FTF or at least save on shipping. Some items I'd be more likely to buy if I could inspect. Many times it means the difference between buying an item or not. I understand that many don't want their EXACT location known but at least your State would be nice. I know many live in other countries. For those in the States though, the location gives us an idea if we want to bother or not. OK. Rant over and thanks.

Posts: 1550 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. And if you live in Texas the region would be nice.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Yep, like the song goes, it's 800 miles from Longview to El Paso...

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
These deep dark location secrets smell of Voodoo.. My lord, if you post your state of even your county no one is going to send a boogie man to your place. It's only common courtesy to post a regional location. It has irked me for a very long time now. Makes me think the poster is hiding something or is illegal to do this trade. beer salute

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I have my location available or not, but as a seller, I've totally stopped doing any kind of ftf unless it's someone I know.

95% of the time, something goes wrong. Usually, they don't show up, or show up at the wrong time when I'm not home and my wife has to deal with them. I had one guy that committed to buying something last fall, then strung me along for 3 months this winter, and finally quit responding to emails. His last request was that I deliver it to him, as I was the one benefitting from the sale so should be worthwhile to me to drive an hour. ($15 item) Sometimes they do show up, and are drunk or high. A lot of the time, they can't decide if they want it or not, and want to go away, think about it, and have me hold it till they decide. A couple of times they have looked like they're casing the joint for a robbery. A couple of buyers have confided in me that they are glad they can do a face to face because they can't pass the check to buy from a dealer. Then, they're pissed that I won't sell to them either. No matter what, the FTF ends up taking a couple of hours of my time, when I can pack and ship at the post office in 15 minutes. If some people won't buy or sell to me without a FTF, I guess I miss out, but it saves a lot of hassles on my end.

A FTF is great with you guys that are outstanding citizens. It really sucks when I have to deal with a scumbag that shows up at my house. I'd rather not sell the item than deal with that anymore.

dave

Posts: 1100 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swordfish
posted Hide Post
In FL. and GA. it's hard to get anyone to ship. They all want FTF. I've missed out on a lota stuff cuz I don't want to drive 3-4 hours and they just won't ship, on my dime.

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's pretty important to post a general location or region. This can be beneficial for those of us who live in "free" ( Wink) states and can do trades or ship firearms to each other without the need for FFL's.

On the other hand, I don't feel it's necessary that everybody knows my Lat/Long coordinates.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olcrip:
These deep dark location secrets smell of Voodoo.. My lord, if you post your state of even your county no one is going to send a boogie man to your place. It's only common courtesy to post a regional location. It has irked me for a very long time now. Makes me think the poster is hiding something or is illegal to do this trade. beer salute

River City, USA. East of the Mississippi

Uh, OC. Is this one of the messiah's 57 states? bewildered animal

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Rexville NY--now everyone knows exactly where to buy their next new firearm!!

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
I don't know if I have my location available or not, but as a seller, I've totally stopped doing any kind of ftf unless it's someone I know.

95% of the time, something goes wrong. Usually, they don't show up, or show up at the wrong time when I'm not home and my wife has to deal with them. I had one guy that committed to buying something last fall, then strung me along for 3 months this winter, and finally quit responding to emails. His last request was that I deliver it to him, as I was the one benefitting from the sale so should be worthwhile to me to drive an hour. ($15 item) Sometimes they do show up, and are drunk or high. A lot of the time, they can't decide if they want it or not, and want to go away, think about it, and have me hold it till they decide. A couple of times they have looked like they're casing the joint for a robbery. A couple of buyers have confided in me that they are glad they can do a face to face because they can't pass the check to buy from a dealer. Then, they're pissed that I won't sell to them either. No matter what, the FTF ends up taking a couple of hours of my time, when I can pack and ship at the post office in 15 minutes. If some people won't buy or sell to me without a FTF, I guess I miss out, but it saves a lot of hassles on my end.

A FTF is great with you guys that are outstanding citizens. It really sucks when I have to deal with a scumbag that shows up at my house. I'd rather not sell the item than deal with that anymore.

dave

Dave, biggest mistake is meeting them at home...... Never ever let someone meet you at your domicile. Pick a public place like McDonalds parking lot or Ihop. If you won't post a general location then your hiding something. I for one will not deal with you. It's a courtesy to your fellow forum user. salute

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, old Crip, you missed my point. I have no secret to hide, my general location is black hills, sd, my specific location is Spearfish, SD. No secret there, I tell that to anyone who wants to deal with me, they have to mail the payment somehow.

Also, as one person pointed out, I'll mail anything within the state, as it's legal here between individuals.

Just not going to drive down to McDonalds and do deals in the parking lot there! I will drop it off at the local gun shop, a friend of mine runs it. A person wanting to do a face to face can pick it up there and do the paperwork. On a big enough purchase, I'll eat the $20 fee. I try to be flexible, just have got tired of trying to make FTF work.

dave

Posts: 1100 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
River City happens to lie in the flood plain of the MISS. West of the Miss would be tall corn country, Iowa. Yes, I'm from the streets of Obongo country. Left there forty three years ago. River City is just fine by me. I go North once in a blue moon for cheese. Best thing to come out of the dairy state besides you.

popcorn

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swordfish:
In FL. and GA. it's hard to get anyone to ship. They all want FTF. I've missed out on a lota stuff cuz I don't want to drive 3-4 hours and they just won't ship, on my dime.

I've had plenty ship right to my door in Florida with a copy of my DL. State law allows it. At least I save on FFL fees. I also agree that meeting for a sale in your home is something that you have to gauge for yourself. Most of my meetings have been in the Gander Mountain parking lot or as mentioned earlier, in a McDonalds lot. Then we enjoy a cup of coffee BSing. If I have to ASK about location though, it seems like I should just not bother. I can accept if someone says, no FTF but just state that in the ad. If I can save on FFL fees or/and shipping then I can afford to go a bit higher on what I can pay.

Posts: 1550 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, old Crip, you missed my point. I have no secret to hide, my general location is black hills, sd, my specific location is Spearfish, SD. No secret there, I tell that to anyone who wants to deal with me, they have to mail the payment somehow.

Also, as one person pointed out, I'll mail anything within the state, as it's legal here between individuals.

Just not going to drive down to McDonalds and do deals in the parking lot there! I will drop it off at the local gun shop, a friend of mine runs it. A person wanting to do a face to face can pick it up there and do the paperwork. On a big enough purchase, I'll eat the $20 fee. I try to be flexible, just have got tired of trying to make FTF work.

dave

Dave, would it be such a big imposition to just post in the area for it to just say "South Dakota?" Maybe ad to it "and proud of it" I would be more proud of SD than Illinois, corrupted by the "Peoples Repulic of Chicongo."
coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I've never figured out how to do that. I'll dig around when I get some time, see if I can see how to put that at the bottom of my messages.

dave

One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I've never figured out how to do that. I'll dig around when I get some time, see if I can see how to put that at the bottom of my messages.

dave

Go to top of thread. Left click on the "Go" box and go to your personal zone, profile. Select "edit" on the top right and scroll down to "location". Put in what you feel comfortable with. Select "submit".
Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reasons to NOT post a specific location:

It's none of your business.
It's sometimes revealing to the burglars.
I've never had any trouble shipping or receiving anything, in-state or out.
No advantage to posting it AFAICS.
Too many local idiots wanta telephone or come by and bother me.
You don't 'need to know' unless we're doing business.
Location info is available privately via PM.
It's none of your business.

Now, that being said, I live in Clinton, MS. Feel better? Still think I'm hiding something, after working 25 years at a nuclear plant?

What BS! Sounds like Big Brother to me!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Joe, you've been sucken down way too many zummies. Your annual rem count must be well over 5000. Do you glow in the dark yet? After 27 years around rad ropes I don't need a night lite to take a whiz at night. Do zummies stop at the rad rope in MS or do they jump the rope like they do at Byron and Braidwood?

Deep south is a good location discription. Don't need no more than that. You'll have the "rent a rad" knocken on your door.
I was known as "The Admiral" in the ComEd(y) system.space

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Better be careful meeting in "public places" like parking lots if you're selling/buying or trading guns.

Once several years ago a guy I knew fairly well wanted to buy a 7x57 I had for sale. We both lived in Atlanta but it's a big place, he lived north of the city & I lived south, so we agreed to meet around 9:00 AM on a weekday at a mid-point location, which was in a parking lot for a restaurant that didn't open until later in the morning.

Unfortunately, what I didn't pay attention to was the bank next to the restaurant.

I took my rifle out of my car in a gun case and we went into his van so he could look at it. Then he decided to check out the scope and stepped out of the vehicle to get a feel for the stock, check eye relief, etc. At the time I felt a little nervous with him waving the gun around in plain sight.

Sure enough, about 2 minutes later 3 cop cars came screaming into the parking lot. Some nervous woman bank employee had seen us and made a frantic 911 call.

We got shook down, and fortunately I was able to provide my retired military ID card and GA firearms permit (state concealed carry permit) which got the matter got resolved pretty quickly.

The guy in charge was obviously a firearms fancier as he told us the next time we wanted to do a gun transaction around there to come a few blocks over to the police station and use their parking lot. Nice guy, and the whole event was done properly and with respect--no weapons drawn and "get on the ground, scumbag!" sort of stuff.

But, there are other areas of Atlanta where we would have been hauled off in handirons, IF we were lucky. More likely, shot.

We can laugh about it now, but it was pretty scary at the time--and I had 20 years in military law enforcement!

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
quote:

dave

Why? Who doesn't know where the Black Hills are?

I don't care who knows where I am, but if I want my silly little profile to say "outer space", or nothing at all that's my business too. Why would that concern anyone else?

It's nice to know what part of the geographic part of the globe your friends come from. Nothing personal but the lack thereof sets the atmosphere of deception. Like the person is hiding something. I don't really care what city or town a person comes from. Like you said, "Black hills" that is a vast area but the general area only is given, that should suffice. Sometimes when you have a question about an area you wish to visit you remember that so and so lives in that area. You can PM that Mr. so and so to learn more for perhaps an up coming trip or to plan a hunt. You develop friendships on the forums. I cherish the friends I made on all the forums I visit. I had a nice visit with Sam Bass when I bought my Corvette in Texas last year. And had dinner with Shelly and Thad in Dallas area on that trip.

It just makes for a friendlier comradery on the forums. You may never meet the person but you feel like you know them as a friend. I hope you understand my view on all this location controversy.

coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
I don't care who knows where I am, but if I want my silly little profile to say "outer space", or nothing at all that's my business too. Why would that concern anyone else?

Guess I see it as a courtesy to others who may be reading your posts......always helps to put a particular point of view in perspective. That's all.....nothing more, nothing less......not asking for your street address. That clear it up? Or do you think you're being watched?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm being watched and I need a new tin foil hat.
This one doesnt get good reception anymore.

This whole thing sounds petty to me.
I have alot more on my plate than to worry about where someone on a forum is from.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ikesdad:
I'm being watched and I need a new tin foil hat.
This one doesnt get good reception anymore.

This whole thing sounds petty to me.
I have alot more on my plate than to worry about where someone on a forum is from.

Your right, stay home and take care of Ike while you polish your tin foil. space

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been posting in AR for a long time and rarely has it been of ANY interest to me where someone is from. Where they're from doesn't influence whether I agree or disagree with their post. It doesn't influence whether I think they have made a good or bad post. I don't really care where someone is from. And the nebulous excuse of "well, I might buy a gun from someone" is pretty thin.
This is a wasted thread by a small bunch of folks that should have better things to do.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasted thread, wasbeeman? Take a look at the ARPF if you want to see wasteland. coffee

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Guess I see it as a courtesy to others who may be reading your posts......always helps to put a particular point of view in perspective. That's all.....nothing more, nothing less......not asking for your street address. That clear it up? Or do you think you're being watched?

I don't think it is a bad thing either way.I just don't think it is a must do to post your location. I do agree however that location can help explain where someone is coming from so to speak I just wouldn't want that to be the rule. Also funny that for our different views on this one, we give the same amount of info as to our respective locations.
Guess we just have agree to disagree on this one Norton.