Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever grow tobacco? Login/Join 

Picture of Mark
posted
Has anyone ever been involved with tobacco growing? Does anyone know where I can get some seeds?

A traditional herbicide has been tobacco juice sprayed on plants, and I just read where tobacco was planted next to other crops as a natural barrier to insects, so I am wanting to try planting some.

Any and all helpful advice or comments are appreciated!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest a local farm supply store as your source. They normally provide plants for transplant in the spring, and can provide guidance.

Buying plants is the way to go, and the seed are a bear to germinate. But anyone who sells plants can provide seed if you prefer.

You can do a Google search and find several sources, but I would not use them personally.

You might want to consider giant Marigold flowers rather than tobacco. They smell better, are prettier, and work better imho.

Tobacco is really bad about insects of it's own, especially aphids.

Above based on 30 years experience. Doesn't mean I learned anything though Smiler.

Support the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Posts: 272 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Can you get plants at the FS store in Kentucky?

I've never seen them up here, but I'll definitely call them and ask tomorrow.

Interesting you mention that about Marigolds, as it was from them that they made the first synthetic pyrethrins.

So is tobacco difficult to germinate and raise from seed then? Each year I manage to kill less plants than the year before but sadly each year I discover that gardening is actually pretty darn hard and unforgiving work. If I knew many years ago that it wasn't just sprinkling seeds on the ground and sitting back and watching it all come up I seriously don't know if I would have even gotten involved at all!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can remember my mother speaking with a great deal of heat about what a PIA preparing the seed beds and germinating the seeds was. 'Course this was before modern fungicides and techniques.
If you want to use nicotine as a bug repellent, why not just get some store bought 'baccy and steep it in warm water?
Or just drive up to Ole Mcdonald's door and offer to buy a stalk of 'baccy.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Mark, It may be too late for this year but remind me next spring and I can get you some seed. I don't grow burley any more but have plenty of buddies that still do. Most of the plants around here are grown on water beds then transplanted to the field. If you want seed now I can see if I can come up with some. I know I have some seed in a drawer that are probably around 20 year old, still may sprout though. PM me if you need me.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:

If you want to use nicotine as a bug repellent, why not just get some store bought 'baccy and steep it in warm water?

I suppose I'm doing it for the same reason you post in the reloading forum instead of going to Walmart to buy all your ammunition. Big Grin

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
Mark, It may be too late for this year but remind me next spring and I can get you some seed. I don't grow burley any more but have plenty of buddies that still do. Most of the plants around here are grown on water beds then transplanted to the field. If you want seed now I can see if I can come up with some. I know I have some seed in a drawer that are probably around 20 year old, still may sprout though. PM me if you need me.

God Bless, Louis

Louis,

I'll send you a PM later, as I have a bunch of questions!

Thanks!

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:

I suppose I'm doing it for the same reason you post in the reloading forum instead of going to Walmart to buy all your ammunition. Big Grin

Good point. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote