Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much shooting have you done. Login/Join 
one of us
posted
One of the other threads go me thinking how many rounds I shot in my life.

I been using fire arms on a regular basics for 51 years.

I been buying and making my own for 46 of those.

Can I count air gun shots if I do that that would add 10s of thousands a 500 round pack of pellets or BBs did not last long.

22rf, shotgun, center fire pistol and rifle.

When adding just the fire arm stuff up I come up with shot around 5000 rounds for 46 years on avg. most likely more.

Some years a lot more some less depending on my shooting habits.

That's two hundred and thirty thousand. not counting my early years when I was begging dad for ammo or the air gun shots.

I had a brother in-law that was a high end trap shooter he would tell me that he shot 25 to 30 thousand rounds a year shooting trap. He did that for decades.

He did very little hunting just shot trap week after week traveling all over to do it.

He brought shot by the pallet.

Those figures are staggering that's a half million rounds in 20 years on the low end.

So how many rounds have some of you shot.

It well be interesting to find out. If you care to share.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea. I started with air guns in 1962, and dads .22 soon there after. Got my first .22 in 64. First shot gun in 68.
I did have a slow spell in much of the 70s, college and work.
But in the 90s and 2000s I shot league sporting clays and one or more trips per year to PD towns. Also lots of handgun plinking and targets and upland/waterfowl hunting. And I have been an avid handloader since the 60s.
I did a little math and guessing, and I'd say 150-200,000 rounds.
Leaving to PD shoot on four hours.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That brings to mind the old story about the pre 64 .264 Win Mag would shoot ot the bbl after a few thouands rounds (also the 220 Swift). So how many rounds do you REALLY fire? I do recall several years ago we went to a Walk Fest (a German hike that you prizes for attending) in New Braunfels.There was a gunshop on the square + we went in. Brian saw this Kleingunther bolt gun on the wall +wanted to see it. The German counter help said.Ze Kleingunther iz a piece of chunck;my Oncle Hans shot out the bbl. of his after 5 sousand rounds in ze last war.I think that Oncle Hans had on a grey uniform.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'm like most pistol shooters in France, we load our own mostly for economy. Besides, we're limited to 1,000 rounds of new ammo purchases per year per handgun. I probably shoot 2 to 4 thousand rounds per year of pistol ammo. My rifle and shotgun count is far lower, probably 200 rounds per year of rifle and a thousand rounds of Sporting Clays. But don't all us desperados shoot at least this much?

I do know a couple of IPSC semi-pros with Team CZ, who get their bullets on a sponsored basis. They're easily in the 20,000 to 40,000 per year range on handguns alone.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the 22 ammo shortage i stopped shooting rimfire, but when i shot 22 I would shoot a 2-4K round of 22 a year.

I shoot around 20-40 rifle rounds each time I go to the range. I also walk up to the target and see every shot I fire - so I walk a good 3-4 miles when I am at the range. I normally shoot when there is no one at the range.

I really dont like shooting a pistol - so I shoot around 200-300 rounds a year.

I dont shoot a shotgun at all in florida - no one to pull.

I go to the range 10-12 times a year. My goal is to do it one day a week going forward.

I belong to a nice gun club with nice ranges and open spaces. The facilities are poor - bathrooms, no food.

I really like shooting alone - no guest, no friends and no other range members.

I think my ammo shot is going to go up as I have invested in suppressors and have started getting pistols with red dots.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No way of knowing looking back. Seems like a waste of good time to even consider it, and time is running out.

Currently:

I shoot my 9mm five times a month at the range. Twenty-five rounds each time.

I shoot my .41 Mag. twice a month at the range, six rounds each time.

If I'm going to visit Gato I shoot about six rounds at the range with whatever rifle I'm taking with me. (25.06 Rem. or 300 WSM)

The 375 H&H and .308 Win hang where I need them, if I need them, which I don't, but they hold a lot of great memories.

The shotguns sit in the closet along with the .22LR and other misc.

Posts: 13774 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't think that I can count it up.

When I was in the US Navy I pulled duty as a "Driver" for an admiral. I used to drop him at his office at 7:30 every morning and he would tell me to pick him up at 11:30 for lunch.

Since I had to carry a .45 as part of my duties I would go to the Navy shooting range and shoot for 4 hours, 5 days a week for over a year. I probably shot 500 - 750 rounds every day. That's 120,000 - 180,000 rounds at work for that year alone. (about 240 working days a year)

I had an armorer there custom build me three 1911s that year as I wore them out.

I compete or have competed in USPSA, IHMSA, High Power, F class, Palma, 22 Tactical Rimfire for the last 40 years.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Well over 50 years, I have done some shooting at targets, but more shooting at game, but in total not really that much. Maybe 2,000 or 3,000 rounds over that time frame.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it would be hard to count, I started when I was 3 with my grandmother having to help me hold the rifle, a old Remington single shot .22, and also, at the same time having to cover my left eye since I was too young to close it.

I'm not sure of age, but, I was probably about 4, and the first thing I ever killed was a woodpecker, pecking on side of house, driving my grandmother crazy, and we did the above, her helping with rifle, and covering my eye, and I killed it off side of house.

Again, not totally sure of age, but when I got my first pistol, a .22 Colt Frontier, at about 8 or 9, and then some more .22 rifles, the ammo usage went up significantly, and I shot a minimum of a brick every weekend and more at other times, year around for 6 or 8 years.

Then HS, college, fast cars, girls, and booze took away from more serious pursuits and I had a long hiatus where I shot very little.

Then in early 80s, I took up trap shooting and fired no less than 50k shells a year for about 10 or 15 years. Meantime I was shooting blackbirds, and that took about 30K shells a month, 6 weeks or so a year for several years.

While doing the above, I shot pistols for fun and competed in a local league for 5 years or so. Not a tremendous volume but a couple of hundred rounds a week, at a local range open at night.

Somewhere in there I hunted in Argentina, Uruguay, and a few other place, including Zimbabwe for birds. Volume was high initially but tapered off over the years. I shot 4,000 shells the first day shooting doves.

Moved to ranch up here in mid 90s, and have shot hundreds, if not a thousand or so hogs since then. Most was 9 at one time using a Marlin .38-55. I killed 5 with 4 shots with Win 70 in .300WM, the last 3 running full out, which might be my best, or luckiest shooting ever. Final shot was a "flock shot" of a group of pigs running in a tight herd about 200 yards away. I led the whole group, fired, and two of them rolled over....not precision shooting for sure, but better to be lucky than good.

Today, I don't shoot much, old age and lethargy have set in, I rarely even shoot a hog, preferring to let others who care more about than I do.
So, I don't know how much I've shot total, but it would probably approach a million shots.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting/hunting from 8-ish years old to 56 y/o. The last 30 years I've lived 2 blocks (150 yds) from my pistol range/club. I won't guess.

Posts: 6389 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I've been shooting/hunting from 8-ish years old to 56 y/o. The last 30 years I've lived 2 blocks (150 yds) from my pistol range/club. I won't guess.

tu2

11 yrs. to 65 now. Have not been to the range in the last two weeks but have killed 10 pigs with 10mm, 44 mag and 223 Rem in the last 10 days.

I think at last count I've reloaded for 82 different pistol and rifle chamberings.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how many over the years. I do know when it started. I was 12 + we were out on my Aunt Bernices ranch outside of Wichita Falls. My mother had a great aversion to guns as some cousin had killed himself.But when Uncle Warner put that 22 single shot into my hands,it was akin to Paul on the road to Damascas;a total epiphany. I have never looked back

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote