THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    What are these German firecracker things?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are these German firecracker things? Login/Join 

Picture of Mark
posted
Hopefully this posts, I'm hijacking it from a different website:

Just wondering about what these actually are? Warnings say you need to be over 16 and only use them outdoors, but I have never seen anything resembling thses before? Are they firecrackers that you throw? Would be cool if they could be struck like a match and tossed but that also sounds like a recipe for eventual disaster. Also wondering then why was this image posted on a website that primarily posts humorous pictures, is the the German pyrotechnic equivalent of Lawn Darts?

Anyway, if anyone knows about these please enlighten the rest of us because they look kinda fun!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are pages about them on Google, but they are all in German. Since my German total is, "Ein bier, bitte" or something like that, I can't help you.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
On the back the word "Silberhutte" translates to "silverworks" so maybe they are some sort of sparkler but again this is all guesswork on my part.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
On the back the word "Silberhutte" translates to "silverworks" so maybe they are some sort of sparkler but again this is all guesswork on my part.

Turns out that is the name of the manufacturer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...C3%BCtte_(Harzgerode)

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
They may be a " torpedo " type firecracker...designed to be thrown.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe:
They may be a " torpedo " type firecracker...designed to be thrown.

Instructions say, light at igition head and throw quickly.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Their version of our Black Cat. I'm an M-80 fan myself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_(explosive)

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
can be purchased from Native Reserves in Canada, as they have different governing laws.

Isn't that amazing ? Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Damn Kensco,have'nt seen a M-80 in years.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember as a junior high school kid carrying a few of those around in my pocket. You'd of thought I held the original Ten Commandments. Hell, I thought I was GOD. An M-80 was a powerful thing. They weren't to be ignited lightly. They were to be SHOWN to people. All your friends and your enemies, but never to a parent or another adult. You would turn down numerous opportunities for wealth and adoration before you would finally send something to Hell in a million pieces ... then run like Usain Bolt before the city police could follow-up.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Several years ago a coworker decided one could no longer get real cherry bombs or M-80s like those from the "old days".
Nothing like an unfulfilled need to send one off on a quest.

He was completely fulfilled on day when he handed me something and said, "What the world needs is a M-240."

In those days I shot 100 and 120 grains of black powder here a the house, but after testing one of his M-80s declined his offer.

He only made one or two and decided they wasted too much material and were too powerful.

That was then and this is now and today we just can't experiment and have fun with all of the alphabet agencies looking for bad guys.

Glad I lived in good times

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just used to drill holes in short pieces of 2x2 when I was a kid and put our equivalent of the M 80 in there. Homemade hand grenade. Big Grin

Grizz

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be very careful with these - the manufacturer was VEB Silberhütte, VEB standing for "Volks-Eigener Betrieb" or "company owned by the people". This term was only used in the communist GDR, so the firecrackers would be at least 27 years old. Who knows what the delay will do after these years.

The main charge is probably flash powder, which is much stronger than blackpowder and should be strong enough to take a couple of fingers off.

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote