New
Find
Notify
Tools

22,750+ f.p.s. velocity? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Below is an excerpt from a scientific article posted today by a major news source:

"Using a two-stage light gas gun, the researchers shot frozen pellets of the algae into water at extremely high speeds and then analyzed their sample to see if any of the organisms came out alive.

"As you might expect, increasing the speed of impact does increase the proportion of algae that die, but even at 6.93 kilometers per second (4.31 miles per second), a small proportion survived," study researcher Dina Pasini, of the University of Kent explained in a statement. "This sort of impact velocity would be what you would expect if a meteorite hit a planet similar to the Earth."

Man, if true, THAT is one powerful pellet gun!

Anyway the research was/is being done to see if life on earth could have originated from algae transported in a meteorite or meteors which struck the earth.

(And, I'd like to own the chronograph which clocked the speed of those pellets, too.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My 1st response is B.S.! (sorry)Given time to thought however,it is possible. I am involved in interest. Keep me in the loop.R.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
It's no BS.
There is one of these things where I work and I have seen it fired at 2.7km/sec (although it is capable of much higher speeds than this).
It has a 16mm smooth bore that fires a 12mm steel or aluminium slug fitted inside a nylon or teflon sabot.
The gun is maybe 15 feet long with a barrel length of 8 feet or so, weighs about 2 tons and runs on a set of rails inside the lab, so it's not exactly portable.
It also takes about an hour to set it up with a new burster disk and fresh (helium) gas bottles for each shot.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote