Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, I got this coin? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I got a coin as change, a little smaller then a nickel, silver "or nickel" color.
It says UNITED STATES OF AMERICA around and eagle setting on a shield and 1932 at the bottom.
The back side, five centavos over a sitting person, and what looks like Filipinas on the bottom.
What the heck is this thing?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a US Philippine "nickel" or 5 centavos. They are copper-nickel. As you probably know, the Philippines were a US territory thanks to the Spanish-American war. FWIW, if in halfway good condition, they are worth, if you can find someone who wants them, from a buck on up. Source I found said if in AU 50 condition, is worth $20. I'd say that if you could get half that, in that condition, you'd be lucky. Interesting find, I would guess that an heir of a US Soldier found it and spent it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gato!
Did it say, or do you know where they were minted, the US or the Philippines?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A new branch of the U. S. Mint was opened at Manila in July of 1920. With the exception of the years 1944-45, all of the remaining USA/Philippines coins were struck at the Manila Mint. Beginning in 1925, these carry an M mintmark; this is located in the same position as before.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, the US/Philippines One Peso is a beautiful coin, the size of a US silver dollar, with varying silver content, early ones, 90%, then 80%, I believe. Common ones in fairly used condition can be had pretty cheap, less than $20.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I was in the bank drive through depositing a check + wanted $20.00 cash back.The girl gave me a like new 20 that looked kinda funny.I looked closer ,it was a series 1934. I guess someone robbed grandmas stash.In that regard I was in a coin + stamp store in 82 + found a 1934 50 cent airmail stamp that was valued at $560.00. I asked the guy why. He said,as I should have guessed that in 1934 nobody had 50 cents for a stamp.Makes me wonder how many 20's were printed in that year as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a silver certificate $1 as change a few years ago.
The centavo is certainly nothing to exciting, but is a neat curio. Many thanks to Gato for all the info on it.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In the early 80's when I worked at another mans shop our secretary told us of how her mother who had a whole stack of silver certificates took them to the bank + deposited them the came back later wanting her same bills back + could'nt figure out why they would'nt give her back her original money.Makes you sick but then stupid acts generally do.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it ain't like she gave away the family fortune. The bills today, depending on condition, dates, etc are probably worth at most about $2 today and back then, maybe, at best $1.50.

xxxxxxxxxx