The Accurate Reloading Forums
So, I got this coin?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3611043/m/3111022332

29 June 2017, 19:11
theback40
So, I got this coin?
I got a coin as change, a little smaller then a nickel, silver "or nickel" color.
It says UNITED STATES OF AMERICA around and eagle setting on a shield and 1932 at the bottom.
The back side, five centavos over a sitting person, and what looks like Filipinas on the bottom.
What the heck is this thing?
29 June 2017, 20:43
Gatogordo
It's a US Philippine "nickel" or 5 centavos. They are copper-nickel. As you probably know, the Philippines were a US territory thanks to the Spanish-American war. FWIW, if in halfway good condition, they are worth, if you can find someone who wants them, from a buck on up. Source I found said if in AU 50 condition, is worth $20. I'd say that if you could get half that, in that condition, you'd be lucky. Interesting find, I would guess that an heir of a US Soldier found it and spent it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
29 June 2017, 21:12
theback40
Thanks Gato!
Did it say, or do you know where they were minted, the US or the Philippines?
29 June 2017, 22:03
Gatogordo
quote:
A new branch of the U. S. Mint was opened at Manila in July of 1920. With the exception of the years 1944-45, all of the remaining USA/Philippines coins were struck at the Manila Mint. Beginning in 1925, these carry an M mintmark; this is located in the same position as before.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
29 June 2017, 22:14
Gatogordo
BTW, the US/Philippines One Peso is a beautiful coin, the size of a US silver dollar, with varying silver content, early ones, 90%, then 80%, I believe. Common ones in fairly used condition can be had pretty cheap, less than $20.

xxxxxxxxxx

30 June 2017, 08:47
NormanConquest
Several years ago I was in the bank drive through depositing a check + wanted $20.00 cash back.The girl gave me a like new 20 that looked kinda funny.I looked closer ,it was a series 1934. I guess someone robbed grandmas stash.In that regard I was in a coin + stamp store in 82 + found a 1934 50 cent airmail stamp that was valued at $560.00. I asked the guy why. He said,as I should have guessed that in 1934 nobody had 50 cents for a stamp.Makes me wonder how many 20's were printed in that year as well.

Never mistake motion for action.
05 July 2017, 05:04
theback40
I got a silver certificate $1 as change a few years ago.
The centavo is certainly nothing to exciting, but is a neat curio. Many thanks to Gato for all the info on it.
05 July 2017, 07:41
NormanConquest
In the early 80's when I worked at another mans shop our secretary told us of how her mother who had a whole stack of silver certificates took them to the bank + deposited them the came back later wanting her same bills back + could'nt figure out why they would'nt give her back her original money.Makes you sick but then stupid acts generally do.

Never mistake motion for action.
05 July 2017, 09:38
Gatogordo
Well, it ain't like she gave away the family fortune. The bills today, depending on condition, dates, etc are probably worth at most about $2 today and back then, maybe, at best $1.50.

xxxxxxxxxx