Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SHANE Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Watched the movie SHANE again last night-----Damn good movie. Learned Alan Ladd didn't even receive a nomination for an Oscar for his role. Disappointing! Also learned that he died in his 50's from what I don't know.

Hip

Posts: 1840 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Watched the movie SHANE again last night-----Damn good movie. Learned Alan Ladd didn't even receive a nomination for an Oscar for his role. Disappointing! Also learned that he died in his 50's from what I don't know.

Hip

Yes, it's a very good movie.

It looks like he died of booze and pills.

After a life of ferment and chaos, the career inactivity seemed to tease out all of the star’s demons. His eventual diminishment into “has-been” territory seemed like a blow that his fragile ego simply couldn’t take. The magnitude of the actor’s alcoholism reached a new and frightening level, and as the once-athletic man grew bloated and haggard, roles only became scarcer. In 1962, a peculiar “accident” saw Ladd shoot himself through the chest with a handgun. He claimed to have tripped over something, but many suspected that it was a suicide attempt. Two years later, in 1964, a combination of booze, barbiturates and sleeping pills killed Ladd. He was only 50 years old.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/...agic-real-life-story

Posts: 327 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting!!! Thanx for that Ronco!

Hip

Posts: 1840 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
They say Jean Arthur came out of retirement for that film. It finally dawned on me that “Pale Rider” is an homage to “Shane.”

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16447 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pale Rider, The Outlaw Josie Wales, Dancing with Wolves; all good ones. Good westerns are now few and far between.

Posts: 13793 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quigley down under is a good one too.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Today they give awards for political reasons.

Not for good acting!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67108 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no good movies now-a-days! Everything is special effects! As an example watch The Perfect Storm.

Hip

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Watching old westerns and series like Gunsmoke, while I do routinely, make me melancholy.

They remind of a better time. Not the old west which I am also an aficionado, but the 20th century up through the 1980’s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36738 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Lane, I have found nothing but sound moral lessons watching the likes of "The Rifleman" and "Cheyenne." God seems to have smiled on Warner Brothers in the 1950s and early 1960s.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16447 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
IMHO, Shane is a top ten, if not top five, film - and I mean of all time. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13422 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I'm in total agreement. I know that a case in point; my 90-year-old mother, who is now in assisted living, but still takes in sewing as she likes it + it keeps her busy, always has the old westerns on her TV in her sewing room. She likes them for that fact + at the end, the good guy always wins. She also refuses to watch the news + seeing what our country has become for the same reason.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My barber always has The Andy Griffith Show running. I second Quigley Down Under.

Get ready for Horizon: An American Saga on June 28th. Sounds like it could be a very good, 4-part, western. https://deadline.com/2024/05/h...ate-cast-1235924613/

Kevin Costner on the movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRata7aGwqg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, our local state inspection station (soon a thing of the past) always has on reruns of "Gunsmoke". I'm looking forward to Kevin Costner's new western series, too. I do like a good western + really enjoyed him + Robert Duval in "Open Range".

one of us
posted Hide Post
It will have to go some to beat Lonesome Dove.