Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Guy Movies Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
What're your personal all time favorites?

Some of mine, starting with the one I liked for the longest time -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vdfidy_d2k

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G86I_tp8Z6g (nice title song from it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bcD5Oydujo

and another real favorite movie -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b70dRx2ZlG4

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm all-in for Clint Eastwood movies; Josey Wales, Pale Rider, and maybe my all-time favorite, Dirty Harry. Particularly where he basically points the 44 Mag at an orifice and tells them to cough.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane, and the Kilmer/Russell version of Tombstone are in the top three.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Animal House, MacArthut and Patton

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing hardly anyone knows about Thunder Road is, it was based on a true event. A moonshiner ran off the road in Knoxville and was killed. Robert Mitchum heard about it and it gave him the idea.

Regarding Emperor Of The North, here's some more of the sound track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ9KjVc-ui8. It's the part where A-No.1 teaches Kid Cigarette how to stop a passenger train by greasing the rails so they can bum a ride. The Kid first finds him relaxing in the town dump and I rather like A-No.1's comment, "Kid, like I was telling you, there was a day when the dump had class...my God, how the trash in this country has gone to Hell..."

That film was loaded with humor, great scenery and acting, realistic railroad action and also the most violent fight scene bar none. But, it's always been notoriously hard to find a video of it, and unfortunately many were turned off by its opening over the top graphic scene...where that hobo was cut in half after he went under a train (actually in real life I saw something similar to that a long, long time ago).

Anywho, other favorite films, by genre -

Gangster flicks - Goodfellas
Cop movies - Dillinger (with Ben Johnson - in my younger days that movie served as partial inspiration for applying for a job with the FBI)
War movies - Battleground and Pursuit Of The Graf Spee (no phony Hollywood heroics in either)
Spy movies (based on real events) - Operation Cicero (aka Five Fingers) and The Man Who Never Was
Spy movies (fictional) - all the early James Bond up to and including Diamonds Are Forever, but only those with Sean. I never cared for that "other guy".
Clint Eastwood - Pink Cadillac and Bronco Billy
John Wayne - The Quiet Man and The Shepherd Of The Hills and Searchers

Made for TV series - Breaking Bad (imo the best thing on TV in recent years, bar none) and BB favorite episodes - "Fly" and "Faceoff" and "Full Measures". Here's my favorite song from it - http://www.bing.com/videos/sea...3FADFAD2A1934EF5BA9B. Well, OK, just one more. It's the Los Pollos Hermanos commercial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYUs2UH0SM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a Great Notion...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't get any better than Jan Reno in "The Professional" an army of one stands up to overwhelming odds. Lots of gore but also a love story.....r in w.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...on:_The_Professional

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quigley Down Under.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Quigley Down Under.

+1!!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Agreed with Idaho, Tombstone is up there.
Smokin' Aces was pretty decent, same with Rambo series. The Expendables was pretty great as well. My favorite movie though, bar none, of all time and at any time was Airplane!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Open Range

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It's been at least 10 years since I've bothered to go to a movie, so I'm not very good at remembering titles. In the old days I saw a LOT of movies (I had two buddies from high school who ended up owning/managing movie theaters, and I always got in free).

So here's my shot at it.

Westerns..."Treasure of the Sierra Madre", "The Magnificent 7", and whichever one it was that kept almost continuously playing Delegueño in it.

War movies... "Wake Island", and just about anything starring John Wayne. Oh, and "Zulu" made in more modern times.

Crime movies...one where a couple of guys tried to break out of Alcatraz which ended with one of them on the front of a laundry miniature rail cart being machine-gunned, and several of the jimmy Cagney movies of the "I'm not going to the 'Chair', so you're not taking me alive"-genre.

TV series...the whole "Victory at Sea" run.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Here's another vote for Tombstone.

And my second-favorite movie also stars Val Kilmer: The Ghost and the Darkness.

Those are the only two movies I can watch again and again.

Well, except for the B&W adaptation of Hemingway's "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber:The Macomber Affair

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Canuck,

That was Rio Bravo with John Wayne, Dean Martin,
Rick Nelson, and Angie(YOWZA!!)Dickinson.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
In order:

John Wayne:

The Searchers/The Quiet Man/She Wore A Yellow Ribbon/McClintock.

Clint Eastwood:

Outlaw Josey Wales

Robert Redford:

Jeremiah Johnson

Mel Brooks:

Blazing Saddles

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Quigley Down Under,12 O'clock High,Stalag 17,Memphis Belle,The man who shot Liberty Valence,The Shootist.That is only the icebergs tip.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
The Big Lebowski, Apocalypse Now, Talladega Nights, and Wedding Crashers.

I like to laugh and I like the idea of not being beholden to The Man. I appreciate it's not even close to real but then again, our involvement in Vietnam seems hardly truthful. I like to laugh and NASCAR is retardedly funny. Well,.........Wedding receptions can be a bundle of fun.

I also like The Last Samurai quite a bit. When I'm jet boating the upper reaches of a rocky river I say to myself out loud, "Too many minds,.....No minds!"

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josey Wales
The Patriot
Braveheart
Shenendoah
Blazing Saddles
Snatch
And Quigley mind screwed me into building a rifle

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Lets face it.Mr. Selleck was only the co star.The Star was that rifle.No disrespect for Tom. + yes Tx.kill art. I love all your selections as well. We cannot pick just one. Kinda reminds me of the old adage about if you could only have one rifle,what would it be?For me,a 375 H+H on a 98 action.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting generational response. Personally:

Anything with John Wayne (Hatari is a personal favorite, as is Red River, The Alamo, Rio Bravo, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Shootist, etc. ).

Anything with Clint Eastwood (Grand Torino is my favorite, I think).

Anything with Humphrey Boghart (especially anything with Lauren Bacall).

Schwartenager movies -- wasn't he the one who coined the phrase "girly men"? I don't like thos movies.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
In order:

John Wayne:

The Searchers/The Quiet Man/She Wore A Yellow Ribbon/McClintock.

Clint Eastwood:

Outlaw Josey Wales

Robert Redford:

Jeremiah Johnson

Mel Brooks:

Blazing Saddles

Dadgummit! Those are some of my all time favorites too!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the dark side:
Sleepers is really dark
The shootist is a sad and dark view of my changing country

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
"Valdez is coming" with Burt Landcaster

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone like "Kill Bill"??

It's been on a lot and I admit an odd kind of attraction, as long as it's not too often...the snow scene of that duel was pretty cool, where she says "for a last look you could do worse"...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
War of the Buttons

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Cross of Iron. Starring James Coburn, Maximilian Schell, James Mason. Director Sam Peckinpah

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If you haven't seen these Guy flicks then you are missing out:

Death Hunt (great use and show of classic US firearms)

The Postman (gets low ratings from females and girly men)

Emperor of the North (Brutal fight scene between Lee Marvin and Earnest Borgnine)

Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior (better than Jackie Chan ever was)

quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Cross of Iron.
I liked that, too.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier, you've got two on my list of favorites, "Death Hunt" and "Emperor Of The North".

Actually, the "Emperor" just happens to be my all time favorite movie, regardless of type.

Little known facts about it - it originally was to be called Emperor Of The North Pole (after a hobo legend), but they thought movie goers might think it was a movie about Santa Claus, so they shortened the title.

It was also built around a real life story, from way back.

And, it was filmed on the now defunct Oregon, Pacific & Eastern. The road used to have an Espee connection, and later became a tourist railroad, but now the tracks have been removed. I think they did one of those "rails to trails" deals out of it.

The covered bridge is still there as seen in the movie and if you know the town of Cottage Grove you can spot some of the places where it was filmed, including Dorena Reservoir.

One of the passenger train's heavyweight cars was in fact named the "Cottage Grove".

Incidentally, several good movies were filmed there over the decades, including the "General".

There was a factual "goof" in the movie however, being the scene where they nearly had a head on with the fast mail at that switch. Remember it? Do you know what it was about that scene that couldn't have happened in real life? Hint, the same thing was wrong in the movie (also a good guy flick) "Runaway Train".

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I remember going to see Cross of Iron with Pop and my Uncle and Cousin. Also like:

Odd Angry Shot (Aussy Vietnam )
Where Eagles Dare
Ice Station Zebra

quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Cross of Iron. Starring James Coburn, Maximilian Schell, James Mason. Director Sam Peckinpah

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Ya gotta throw in "The African Queen" with Bogey!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Enemy at the Gates

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How The West Was Won
The Score
Mogambo
Platoon
Rob Roy
Lonesome Dove

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Surprised nobody mentioned Top Gun.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some comedies with these actors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPAV6hhwRBA

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vashper...by "guy movies" we meant movies FOR guys - as in action adventure.

Anyway, that reminded me of Laurel & Hardy (old U.S. comedy act - one fellow even looked like him).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Vashper...by "guy movies" we meant movies FOR guys - as in action adventure.

Thanks! I didn't know this category. My browser said "In issuing a new reply on request «gay movies»" Smiler
But now I get it: http://www.filmsite.org/maxim100.html

The best guy film in Russia is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sun_of_the_Desert

and, well, some American (with Eastwood), and may be Polish ("Va-bank").

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
In no particular order

Blazing Saddles
Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men
Police Academy.....the first one none of the folow ups
Raiders of the Lost Ark.....none of the crappy follow ups
Star Wars.....way ahead of it's time.....groundbreaking
Stripes
Full Metal Jacket
Young Frankenstein

Probably some more

BTW the only Tarantino film I like is 4 Rooms

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Surprised nobody mentioned Top Gun.

I can't stand Tom Cruise

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote