THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    BlueBell homemade vanilla better than Blue Bunny?........

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BlueBell homemade vanilla better than Blue Bunny?........ Login/Join 
one of us
posted
......hell, any Texan could have told them that, and did. Wink

quote:
We're the first ones to admit when we're wrong. Heck, we actually enjoy it because it just means that we've found something more delicious. Last week, we posted our Vanilla Ice Cream Taste Test and within 24 hours, we had hundreds of comments telling us we had missed a crucial brand of ice cream: Blue Bell.

We didn't leave Blue Bell out purposely. The Slashfood staff is located in New York City, therefore, we don't have access to many of the brands available in the south or even the west. But since there was such an outcry for Blue Bell, we immediately went to their website and ordered ourselves four half-gallon tubs. We focused on the Homemade Vanilla and Natural Vanilla Bean flavors.

We dug our ice cream scoop into both on Thursday afternoon -- along with our editor's pick, Breyers -- for a scoop-to-scoop match-up.

Round One: Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla vs. Blue Bell Natural Vanilla Bean
There wasn't much competition here. The Natural Vanilla Bean flavor reminded us of "ice milk." While it was speckled all over with vanilla bean, it lacked any real flavor and what we've come to realize is an important factor in ice cream: texture. It was extremely airy.

Round Two: Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla vs. Breyer's Natural Vanilla
The ultimate face-off. Upon first tasting the Homemade Vanilla, we found it was one of the most smooth and custard like ice creams we've ever had. In fact, it was so rich a velvety, you could actually taste the heavy cream. When compared with our original number one, we can admit that Blue Blue was a better blended experience -- milk, sugar, cream and all. However, we will say this. We still believe Breyer's has a stronger vanilla taste and we like that fact that it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it (Blue Bell does), but the sweet ending of the Homemade Vanilla brought us back to our childhood and we almost finished the container in one sitting.
Overall Winner: Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla

Ok, so we were wrong, we can admit it. Slashfood would like to thank all of our passionate readers who took the time to leave us a message urging us to try something even better.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
As a diabetic, I have to stick with Blue Bell's No Sugar Added Country Vanilla. It's not much of a sacrifice though. Sugar free Blue Bell beats the hell out of most other maker's regular ice cream.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
another win for TEXAS Cool

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Vanilla? homer

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Yes, vanilla. You can eat it plain or jazz it up to suit you. Besides, if you top off a pie or cobbler with a different flavor of ice cream, you would be classified as a hog or at least baddly brought up.

Gpopper

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I like the BlueBell Milk Chocolate!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbanger:
Yes, vanilla. You can eat it plain or jazz it up to suit you. Besides, if you top off a pie or cobbler with a different flavor of ice cream, you would be classified as a hog or at least baddly brought up.

My favorite "jazz up" is to soften a gallon of vanilla and add a can of softened Bacardi Pina-Colada mix. Stir and re-freeze. Mmmmmmm good.

Posts: 3676 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was a vanilla taste test. Hell, everyone knows that BlueBell White Chocolate Almond is the ultimate ice cream. wave

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
My favorite flavor is buttered pecan which Blue Bell makes both for normal folks and for us blood sugar challenged. Last year they introduced a new flavor that I absolutely loved, Mexican Praline. The base ice cream was the same as buttered pecan but it had pieces of brown sugar pralines mixed in. I guess I was a quorum of one. I've never seen it since.

Gpopper

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tin Roof or Banana Split!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
....Well duh!!!! to the first post that is!

I eat a big bowl of Homemade Vanilla right before bed...helps keep the weight and cholesterol down!!!!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only the "Ice cream challenged" would try to compare blue bunny trash to BLUEBELL!

It's the happy cows!

Posts: 41775 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok it made me go have one of the small individual cups. Blue Bell is still the best. Having the little ones reminds me of being a kid with the little wooden spoons.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only had Blue Bell once but I think it's the best ice cream I've ever had. I was wondering how difficult it would be to get a couple semi-loads up to Alberta!!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it can be FedXed in the US but, while I think it is a very good ice cream, at a cost of $119 Eeker for 4 1/2 gallon containers, I think I'd make my own or buy locally.

xxxxxxxxxx