New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montgomery, AL -- what to see/do? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
I'll be in Montgomery for 3 weeks in May. Any safari/hunting related stores I shouldn't miss?

- Gun stores?
- Used book shops w/Africana?

Thanks.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want local colour, go to the Sunday noon chicken dinner in Tallasee (Hotel Tallasee) (tiny town about 1/2 hour from Montgy. Check out the 19th. century furniture in the upstairs lobby.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Not hunting related, but no visit to Montgomery is complete without a visit to Hank Williams grave.

There also is an outstanding humidor just north of Montgomery at the Prattville/Wetumpka exit.

I'm sure there are gun shops in M-gomery, but one of the better ones that I know of is Marks Outdoor Sports in Birmingham (hour drive). There is a Bass Pro Shops just north of Montgomery, too.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drive west 50 miles to Selma,turn left onto Ala 22 and when the 4 lane becomes a 2 lane stop and visit Walter Craig's, a sporting goods store.
I feel sorry for you having to spend so much time in our state capial as everyone took the last train out.Once upon a time it was grand, as was Selma.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. I appreciate the assistance.

I actually attended 8th grade in '76 at a Montgomery school; Georgia Washington Jr High waaaay out in the cotton fields.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...just remembered...there are many antique shops/small malls....many have older books ...you just have to dig.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote