New
Find
Notify
Tools

Percentage on books? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
I am just curious but say if a book has a cover price of say 19.95 what percentage would the author most likely get from that?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once the overhead is met, it's about half. With a big name author, he may get more or with a newbie, he may get less.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Once the overhead is met, it's about half. With a big name author, he may get more or with a newbie, he may get less.

I thought that it was much, much lower that that. But maybe I misunderstood your answer?

I think this should be posted in the book forum. There is at least one author who regularly posts there.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong --it WILL NOT be the first time in 2010--but I'm talking about net profit and I'm sure there are all sorts of monetary gymnastics performed to charge stuff "to the book".

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It depends on the author, subject matter and publishing house. If it's a novel from a well known author then the author can get a good deal but if you're talking about hunting books from anyone except the very top authors then it's nowhere near as much as has been mentioned.

The standard offer from hunting publishers for at least the first few titles is 10% of the first 1000 copies. If the author wants more than that, he has to buy copies of his own book as a discounted price and then attend the shows to sell signed copies etc..... which is why you see so many of 'em doing it.

Nowadays, it's a much better proposition to go the ebook route or use someone like www.lulu.com where the author gets something in the region of 80% of every sale.......forever.