THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Steve Jobs, a visionary: Last thoughts!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steve Jobs, a visionary: Last thoughts! Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Thought I'd share this with my fellow African hunters...Apple has been a success and their success has given me the opportunity to have more hunts in Africa- I bought some shares Smiler

That said, he will be deeply missed and just wanted to know if any of you here feel the same way about him.

A fantastic piece:
Steve Jobs: The man who invented innovation

RIP

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
How many have used their I phones for pics and videos in Africa and connecting to apple books of their safaris.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
5 quotes by Steve Jobs:

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become."

"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose."

"Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new."

"We're here to put a dent in the universe."

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
How many have used their I phones for pics and videos in Africa and connecting to apple books of their safaris.

Mike

..see and I was wondering what the connection to Africa hunting wuz.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve Jobs, Innovator And Vegetarian, Praised By PETA

Steve Jobs may be remembered most for his innovations in technology, but PETA and other green groups will also remember the Apple co-founder for his kindness to animals and efforts to help the environment.
The animal rights organization praised Jobs for his vegetarianism and his support of animals through the "Pixar film studio [that] created heartwarming and thought-provoking movies about unlikely animal heroes."

PETA also celebrated Jobs for playing a role in Disney's 2006 decision not to renew its Happy Meal toy deal with McDonald's.

They said of Jobs, "If his movies or his lifestyle inspired even one person to become a vegetarian, he no doubt saved hundreds of animals' lives, and for that we thank him."

Honoring the greener moments in Jobs' career with Apple, TreeHugger praised him for withdrawing Apple from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce because of the organization's climate change denial.

Dear Mr. Jobs,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters worldwide, thank you for rejecting the proposed iSealClub iPhone application, which has drawn a great deal of attention to Canada’s annual baby-seal slaughter. You are in good company. Global leaders as diverse as Barack Obama, Vladimir Putin, and the Dalai Lama have taken a stand against the slaughter, and the European Union recently voted to ban seal fur.

As a token of our appreciation, we will be sending you some vegan-chocolate seals.

Kind regards,

Dan Mathews
Senior Vice President
PETA

PETA remembering Steve Jobs.

As the world mourns the loss of Steve Jobs, PETA has just posted a tribute on its website. Jobs was a vegetarian and a health advocate, and his companies are among the most animal-friendly around. Pixar is known for its pro-animal messages in films such as A Bug's Life and Finding Nemo, and Apple's software consistently demonstrates respect for animals, from including feline facial recognition abilities in iPhoto to rejecting iPhone Apps that depict animal abuse, such as iSealClub. "With Steve Jobs' passing, animals have lost an influential ally," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "On behalf of the millions of children whom Pixar taught to have empathy for the smallest living beings—and on behalf of the many people who were inspired to follow in Mr. Jobs' vegetarian footsteps—we at PETA thank him from the bottom of our hearts."

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Steve Jobs was brilliant, egomaniacal, visionary, brash, pioneering, arrogant, and one who, through his force of will, made a dent in the universe.

I met Steve in Puerto Rico in 1982, sitting across from him at a formal dinner. Despite my efforts to turn the conversation in his direction, he would have none of it and spent much of the evening playfully interrogating me - the only government employee in the room - insistent on learning all that he could about my work. It was terribly awkward for me, and my discomfort didn't in anyway dissuade him from drilling me like some Jesuit tutor. Over the course of the dinner, and with much good-natured banter back and forth, an easy rapport developed and later that evening he shocked me with a job offer. Though naturally flattered, I was quite content with my job and turned him down.

A few years later we met again, this time in DC. Reminded of his sharp mind, keen wit, and unyielding personality caused me to rethink my decision. My girlfriend at the time convinced me to call Steve and hash out what my job would be working for him. It was the end of May 1985 and, ready for a career move, I called his office: The obviously emotional secretary on the the other end of the phone told me that Jobs had just been ousted from Apple.

I saw Steve once after that - before his triumphant return to the company he co-founded - and he laughed at my bad timing to take him up on his offer years earlier. "Kim", he said, "your future obviously wasn't intended to be with Apple or me. But it'll be exciting to see where it takes you, won't it?"

A remarkable guy.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
While I feel sympathy for his family and regret the loss of life for anyone so young and talented, It will really not affect me in the least. I have never owned a piece of Apple equipment and have never really seen the superiority of it. He was a superb merchandiser and knew exactly how to market his product. You see that in the Ipod and the fact you cannot get anything for it from anywhere but Itunes. He created a more or less captive user base and did not co-operate with any other hardware manufacturers such as the Microsoft based PC's. Apples business was somewhat stalled until they changed the Mac to be able to run Windows and windows based applications. So while I'm sorry for his demise I will not really mourne it. I can personally think of many more who have contributed as much to society.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:
Steve Jobs was brilliant, egomaniacal, visionary, brash, pioneering, arrogant, and one who, through his force of will, made a dent in the universe.

I met Steve in Puerto Rico in 1982, sitting across from him at a formal dinner. Despite my efforts to turn the conversation in his direction, he would have none of it and spent much of the evening playfully interrogating me - the only government employee in the room - insistent on learning all that he could about my work. It was terribly awkward for me, and my discomfort didn't in anyway dissuade him from drilling me like some Jesuit tutor. Over the course of the dinner, and with much good-natured banter back and forth, an easy rapport developed and later that evening he shocked me with a job offer. Though naturally flattered, I was quite content with my job and turned him down.

A few years later we met again, this time in DC. Reminded of his sharp mind, keen wit, and sheer force of personality caused me to rethink my decision. My girlfriend at the time convinced me to call Steve and hash out what my job would be working for him. It was the end of May 1985 and, ready for a career move, I called his office: The obviously emotional secretary on the the other end of the phone told me that Jobs had just been ousted from Apple.

I saw Steve once after that - before his triumphant return to the company he co-founded - and he laughed at my bad timing to take him up on his offer years earlier. "Kim", he said, "your future obviously wasn't intended to be with Apple or me. But it'll be exciting to see where it takes you, won't it?"

A remarkable guy.

He might have been a vegan, but I think you wrote the most remarkable post on AR I have ever read.

Wow.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I just want to know what KPete does...sounds pretty 007 to me...

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Did Steve Jobs hunt in Africa? bewildered

If the PETA arseholes are praising him, well you can guess what I think of him ...

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

If the PETA arseholes are praising him, well you can guess what I think of him ...

Well said, John. I have always been uncomfortable with his life philosophy and am opposed to almost everything he has ever said along those lines, but the one thing I will say about him, he knows how to make money.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
zimbabwe,
How on earth can you comment on the quality and superiority (or lack thereof) on products you have never owned?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:

A few years later we met again, this time in DC. Reminded of his sharp mind, keen wit, and sheer force of personality caused me to rethink my decision. My girlfriend at the time convinced me to call Steve and hash out what my job would be working for him. It was the end of May 1985 and, ready for a career move, I called his office: The obviously emotional secretary on the the other end of the phone told me that Jobs had just been ousted from Apple.

A remarkable guy.

He might have been a vegan, but I think you wrote the most remarkable post on AR I have ever read.

Wow.

x2.

Thanks for sharing that Kim.

Posts: 9117 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

John:

You would do well to judge a man based on his behavior rather than what others may say about him.

The fact is that PETA petitioned Jobs personally to remove hunting applications from the Apple catalog (iTunes). He refused, saying that hunting was both legal and a personal choice for Apple's customers. Today there are over 100 hunting oriented apps available for the iPad alone, as well as ballistic trajectory calculators and gun guides. There's even an African safari game where kids can hunt the big five.

It takes character to support the rights of those you may disagree with. And as hunters, that's exactly what we're always asking for, right?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
Logout: The Accurate Reloading Forums
Update LiveCloud Account Reply

Duckear,
It's reasonably easy as I have seen and been around many of them. My grandchildren all seem to have Ipods but I had a Creative device that did basically the same thing. My brother who is a retired University professor and was a consultant to Apple on educational uses for several years and his son ,my nephew, was an Apple campus representative while getting his master's in Journalism and wrote a newsletter for Apple for several years also contributed to several Apple manuals. I had many long discussions with both of them about Apple. My Brother is a devoted user. I use a windows based PC which has always been a more cost effective device for my limited use. I bought an ASUS Netbook before the I pad existed and it fulfills my needs completely in that area. I had a Kindle for readin E-books long before the Ipad had that capability . I spent over thirty years in the computer industry although it was all basically at the large mainframe area. So ,yes, I think I can comment on them without ever having owned one. He was a consummate marketer, that goes without exception and I am sorry for his demise but he affected my life directly not one iota.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote