New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miss Gato Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Picked up some Lone Star the other day and got to missing the banter with Gatogordo, who hated Lone Star and preferred that rice swill from St. Louis.
There's no accounting for individual taste!

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lone Star was brewed to be hated! like Schlitz.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I miss him as well....

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato was a BBQ aficionado. Beer, not so much? His wisdom and humor are missed.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I miss bantering with Charlie as well. Lone Star in the '70s was a good beer but they sold out + the recipe changed. He did love his Q. I've still got that portable pit for sale that he spoke of, made out of a 500 gal. propane tank w/ smoker on a flatbed trailer.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I still maintain, along with my friend Lane, that the current Lone Star is a just a good, drinkable American lager. It's not a craft beer, but it is miles above that awful rice beer.

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Charlie was a character!

I met him in Shreveport,LA, before he moved to Texas.

Had a great sense of humor, and was an extremely good trap shooter.

I tied with him once, and we had to have a shoot off.

We were still straight after the a 100 targets in the shoot off.

It was very hot, and Charlie likes to drink Gatorade.

I said “This is not going to be very fair. It is so hot, and we are all seating so much. I will disappear, but Charlie, being three times my size, will still be here!”

Charlie said “Saeed, you might disappear, but your big mouth will still be here!”

Everyone was laughing their heads off.

Shreveport Gun Club ran great shoots.

I do miss my friend Charlie.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67049 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I still maintain, along with my friend Lane, that the current Lone Star is a just a good, drinkable American lager. It's not a craft beer, but it is miles above that awful rice beer.

hilbily

ok, i'll bite. whats rice beer?
right now my favorites are Pacifico and XX. spelled TEXXAS. and Corona. never drank a craft beer except once. neighbor was into making his own. gave me a glass of real dark warm beer. took a sip and handed it back.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ok, i'll bite. whats rice beer?

Budweiser. About 60 years ago when my taste buds were more sensitive, I could taste the rice in the beer.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I wonder how many forum members you have met over the years. Very, very many I will bet.

Cool

Nopride is correct. Bud doesn't even qualify as real beer under the German "Reinheitsgebot" purity law.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I miss Gato/Charlie.

I should have stopped by his place when I drove thru the area on the way to dsc.

He was smart and had the credibility to be opinionated.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Miss Randall/Crazyhorse, too.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
charlie was the real thing he was what men should be

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

hilbily

That makes three of us Bill.

Silly me, I haven't yet found a craft beer I like....but I ain't really trying too hard.

Yeah...old Charlie was one of a kind!

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bill, I miss Randall as well.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also miss the discussions with Rich (Idaho Sharpshooter). Does anyone know what got him expelled? Not that it matters now but the guy still owes me $20.00.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, Georgeld sent a note to Lora recently asking if Randall's memorial fishing pond project was under way. Hope so.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed, always nice to leave some form of legacy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grandson with our deer shot at Charlie's place.

We were in our blinds less than 30 minutes.
Charlie's wife, daughters, and son were very nice and accommodating people.

Charlie was just Charlie.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice whitetails Butch. I wish I had had a chance to meet Charlie in person.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never went to his ranch but did meet him on occasion for some Q + a beer. It was convenient when he was visiting his kids at U.T.