Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

37 years ago Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
In a prior life, 12,500 Air traffic controllers walked off the job, I did not, was I a scab?

Edited, can't count!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
In a prior life, 12,500 Air traffic controllers walked off the job, I did not, was I a scab?

Sixty-odd years ago, my father worked at Western Union. The union went out on strike; he told them how long he would last and went back to work when the time was up. Decades later, some of the union guys held it against him, but that didn't keep Western Union from re-hiring him to maintain microwave relay stations in the middle 1960s.

I'm for choice in the matter.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I went back and did some research and found something I forgot about(It was a long time ago!). When taking the government job, you swore an oath not to go on strike. No if's and's or but's about it, and that precluded any oath to Patco. As a 37 year union member, the last 20 of which I was an officer in the local, I can say, without a doubt, you kept your oath, you were not a scab. You were a man of your word. The shame was that ATC's were overworked and overstressed and the GOV'T should have worked to solve that problem and there never would have been a strike. I apologize for my earlier statement, except the part about being a benefit to the Firearms Community. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Damn Jim, just looking for abuse? Yes, by definition, you are a scab. You had a choice and voluntarily joined a Union to represent you, and you swore an oath to abide by their decisions. Before negotiations take place, the rank and file have a strike vote to give the union the power to call a strike if necessary, without it, there can be no strike. It does not matter that this particular debacle went south, with plenty of blame for BOTH sides, it was your choice to be represented and not yours to bail out when things got rough. I am not trying to hack on you, but you asked. I am sure this post will degenerate into a Union hating rant by many of the ignorant who think they know everything, but the facts of the matter are as stated, with no emotion involved. Organizations, governments and regular people all make mistakes, thats life. All you can do is move on and do the best you can. Regards, Lee.
P.S. While I am sure you were a great ATC, I think the firearms fraternity ended up with the best deal.

You should probably know this; I did not work in a union shop, was not required to join nor pay dues. In the beginning, I was a full member, by choice. Later on, when I saw their positive position on power grab, I quit. Aditonally, when I hired on I swore an oath, to the USA Government, not the union, that I would not strike against the US gov't. Those 12,500 that went out on strike violated their oath and most were subsequently fired by my CHampion Ronald Reagan. It was a great job and I miss it to this day even after 18 years of retirement.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Please read my above correction and apology, I forgot some of the details after all these years.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense taken dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, you and I have talked about this in your shop, a few years back. I recall the “conversation” you had with the Union thug (my terminology)
I recall the strike and firing well because I was the manager of a plant in Portland at the time of the strike. The labor force was die hard Union. We had some very good but civil discussions, but they hated Reagan.
Hell no you were not a scab, quite to the contrary, you did what you took the oath to do.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I remember it well. I was + still am open shop;just in a different industry.(Sheet Metal Mfg.) When the unions thought that they had Reagan by the short hairs,he showed them how the cow ate the cabbage. Basically you're all fired because you signed contract to not strike.Then they wanted to negotiate,he told them no you are fired,go away.I really respected him for that.The only caveat on this affair was that due to the necessary hiring immeditaly when 25 years passed they were all eligilable for retirement at the same time which would give the same problem.No matter,it all got worked out + I am still proud of Ronnie for putting the unions in their place (+ that was after only a few weeks in office). So NO buddy,you were not a scab;you did the right thing.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people have little interest and don't care. Apparently you do, you made your choice, live with it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Most people have little interest and don't care. Apparently you do, you made your choice, live with it.

I did. I do and consider it one of the better life's choices I made.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

I did. I do and consider it one of the better life's choices I made.

So what makes you ask for reinforcement of your choice now?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
So what makes you an asshole?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Years of experience, I expect.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
So what makes you an asshole?

I get it, if you think a question is ok, then questioning that question makes one an asshole. I'll take being your definition of an asshole over one with your thought processes anyday.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just reminiscing about a happy time

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Me too,finally had a President with balls.Loved the moment.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote