Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Pickers Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I love this show. But I have to wonder: Why is it that these really old guys who have all this really old junk never want to sell any of it? I see these guys in their 70s and 80s with some interesting pieces. The two pickers make an offer-- and the owner doesn't want to sell. When you're a step or two from death's door, why not sell the stuff? I ain't never seen a hearse towin' a U-Haul. Sell, damn it!!

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I think it comes close to hoarding. Although, I bet some of those guys would probably make a deal if they weren't going to be on TV where someone might say they sold for way too little.

'Tis a pity, 'cause somebody is going to have to deal with all that stuff after they're gone. I know of what I speak. I am determined to leave my kids with as little hassle as possible.

It is a neat show. I would like to see the shop where all the "valued" items are actually sold. Do they really get the valued price? Or is it a wash to create a show?

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I love this show. But I have to wonder: Why is it that these really old guys who have all this really old junk never want to sell any of it? I see these guys in their 70s and 80s with some interesting pieces. The two pickers make an offer-- and the owner doesn't want to sell. When you're a step or two from death's door, why not sell the stuff? I ain't never seen a hearse towin' a U-Haul. Sell, damn it!!

i like to watch american pickers too.............. they are from the same town here in iowa that has LES BAER'S CUSTOMS.... i've thought the same as you.... ya can't take it with ya!! if i saw that mercedes van comeing down my lane they'd have to pay a lot for my rusty stuff.... i wonder why they don't go out in an old chevy van??

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I used to watch the show, before I cancelled my sattellite dish subscription. I thought it was interesting, but the two guys annoyed the heck out of me. I don't know why but I couldn't warm up to either one of them, esp. the heaver one. It was a good show, regardless.

Now the one show that I loved was Pawn Stars. I really miss that show. I learned a lot about people watching that show. My wife always used to say stuff like, 'think how pissed you'd be if you found out how little they paid you for something that was worth so much'. To which I would say, 'Nobody held a gun to their heads to make the deal. Besides, the Pawn Broker shells out cash, right here, right now. The Pawn Broker takes all of the risk'.

Anyway, I liked both shows. About the only thing worth watching on TV, MHO.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Pawn Stars, too. I like it when someone brings in a really old gun-- like something from the Revolutionary War. An excellent show. I have also dabbled in Ice Road Truckers. Imagine getting in trouble up there. Gives me the shivers...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those 2 guys on American Pickers are retarded. They don't know anything about the art of "jewing" and pay way too much for junk.

Same goes for Pawn Stars. Show me one legitimate pawn shop owner who has the item appraised in front of the customer. Hell they'd make a lot more cash if the items were appraised in private.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I think it's pretty safe to say the Pawn Stars guys do pretty well. If it isn't obvious than there is little else to say.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Same goes for Pawn Stars. Show me one legitimate pawn shop owner who has the item appraised in front of the customer. Hell they'd make a lot more cash if the items were appraised in private.

#1 Because it's the customers item. There is alot less liability if the customer brings the item in and hands it to the appraiser. Would you want Chumlee watching over your expensive Civil War relic?
#2. Because the item is usually worth less then what the customer thinks, and they will belive the appraiser not the owner.
#3. If they got a reputation for screwing people they would quickly be out of business.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pawn Stars is staged anyway. Who would take $1000 for a $5000 item. You can sell it on an Auction Site. They even tried to do a switch on a Coke machine. The one they bought was different than the one they got from the restoration guy.

American Pickers is alright. I agree that they are paying too much for some of that stuff. I find if funny that some of those hoarders won't take top dollar for some of their junk especially since junk places are usually being hassled by the local authorities.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
pickers as a "Valued at" and a "sold at" price, if you watch closly .. they'll have groups from a lot that SOLD vs what they marked it up...

"valued at" is "asking price" .. aka, highly marked up retail .. if the guys double their money, they are doing good

i quit watching the show with the two twits went off on the office manager for finding them a place that THEY thought was good, as well.

Tried to blaim the lady for everything they made mistakes for, and whined about it .. then she did really good, and the cheap SOB's bot her a $25 marked up POS ...

Lost all respect for their ability to be something other than bottom feeding garbage pickers right then.

Pawn stars? we watch it as a reality show comedy -- those guys are way to emotionally committed, or should be committed, to things -- its a STORE not a museum.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
American Pickers and Pawn Stars are great shows.

You have to figure that the TV is underwriting what they are buying.

Look at American Pickers you can't make a living driving all over the US to for what they are paying for stuff and what it is valued. The gross profit will be eaten by fuel cost alone.

I agree get rid of much stuff as you can. you know what a fair value is versus your kids who are buys with there lives.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got me! I thought you meant Lester Scruggs or Stevie Ray Vaughan...

Rich
Taylor T-5

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

You got me! I thought you meant Lester Scruggs or Stevie Ray Vaughan...

Rich
Taylor T-5
No, he meant Rascal Flatts and Sawyer Brown...