Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20ga = centre fire? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I have no idea where to post this question, so here we go. I’m wondering what centre fire rifle is similar in recoil to a 20ga?
My girlfriend is small (just under 5’). So just trying a gun out that is physically too big for her is not really an option. A couple of years ago I got a Remington 870 youth model in 3” 20ga. We had the stock shortened just over an inch and that allowed her to some what have a fitted gun. The hand grip is still a bit too big in girth so the back of the trigger guard gives her middle finger a bit of a beating after a good goose shoot.
She is comfortable shooting 3” No. 2 (Kent Faststeel) out of it. Any idea what that would equal to in a centre fire rifle?

Cheers
CM

Posts: 65 | Location: Western Australia, Australia. / Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife is also small, about 5'1". I started her out with a 20 and after she was comfortable with it I moved her to a rifle. She said that my 6.5x55 felt about the same as the 20 to her. So, based on what she said I'd say something from a 260 Rem to a 7-08 would be good with the Swede about in the middle.

I let her shoot my 7mm Mag once. She won't touch it again. So again, based on what she said I'd keep it below something like that until she has a bit of experience.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a relatively easy calculation to come up with similar recoils, however because a shotgun is usually shot at moving targets and a rifle is often shot while concentrating on hitting a non-moving target, especially during learning, sighting in, etc a rifle that has a similar amount of recoil to a 20 will often seem like it has considerably more to the shooter, thus a rifle will need to have LESS actual recoil to FEEL the same to the shooter.

For instance in the above given example, the 20 using common wts of gun and TARGET shot charge (7/8 ounce) will have about 13 1/2 ft/lbs recoil and the 6.5x55 will have about 11. Approximately EQUAL recoils would be the 20 and a 150 gr .308 using the same wts for the shotgun and rifle, 7 pounds.

However, to answer your question a (and I'm assigning the youth model 870 7 pounds, but I think it is lighter, especially if the stock has been cut WHICH WOULD MEAN MORE RECOIL) if she is shooting 7/8 oz steel loads at 1550 FPS (fasteel advertised velocity), the recoil would be approx 21.5 ft/lbs (drop wt of shotgun to 6 1/2 pounds and recoil is over 23 ft/lbs) WHICH IS MORE THAN MOST .30-06 rifles by at least a couple of pounds. There's that "movement" thing again.

Most people, including me, would NOT recommend that you start your wife with a .30-06. If you've got access to one, I'd suggest you let her shoot a .243 to learn how one feels, recoils, etc and then as mentioned above the 6.5x55. 260 Rem, 7x57, or 7mm-08 might be excellent hunting rounds/rifles for her. Even the 7mm Rem Mag will have less recoil than the 20 Fasteel. I would not recommend the latter for her first hunting rifle but with lighter bullets (120s and 140s) the recoil in an 8 pound 7mm RM is about the same as a 7 pound 6.5x55 and WAY less than the 20 ga Fasteel load.

BTW it is probably not the circumference of the grip on the shotgun but rather that she is NOT mounting the gun firmly on her shoulder before firing (possibly as an unconscious reaction to recoil). This can also happen if the hunting clothes are extra "squishy" (down). The shotgun length of pull should be such that when mounted in a shooting position there is approx. 1 1/2 to just over 2 inches (probably better with heavy loads and a looser grip) from the rear of her shooting hands thumb to her nose. If it is on the short side that might also contribute to the bruised middle finger.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To cut to the chase, I don't know what your huntings plans are but unless you're hunting the great bears a .260 or 7-08 will fill your hunting needs. Both offer a wide range of bullet weights and types. And both (I think) are offered in a youth model.
While a .243 would work for deer in the hands of a careful hunter, the selection of bullets available, especially if you reload, for the .260 and 7-08 would give you a broader choice of quarries.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife is 5'3". She says her Tikka T3, in .30-'06, with Remington Reduced Recoil loads, kicks less than her 20ga. Citori.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, that helps. She has shot a .243 a couple time and when it was at a deer she didn't feel the kick at all. (deer went 25 yards after heart shot) Again the gun was too big for her, but was able to use it. Targeted game would be deer, elk, moose, black bear, and possibly overseas animals.
Again thanks for the help.

CM

Posts: 65 | Location: Western Australia, Australia. / Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to clear up any confusion, for your area, with the size of animals you have, I am NOT recommending the .243 for her primary hunting rifle, but as a training aid. Sounds to me like if you cut the stock to fit her with a rifle of any of the intermediate calibers mentioned above, she will be good to go.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a recoil factor formula. It does not give ft pounds of recoil it is just a rule of thumb for recoil comparison. If you don't reload it may not help. Bullet weight (in grains)X powder charge in grains x muzzle velocity in fps. Divided by 3500 (constant) divided by rifle weight in pounds. A .308 might fit the bill?

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Brownell's sells a soft rubber guard that fits on the back of a trigger guard.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If she has a smaller cal rifle she CAN shoot, it will serve her better than one that is too big that she doesn't shoot well (flinching etc). Well placed shot is the key and is more important than size. The Pachmayar (however it is spelled) decellerator recoil pad sure tames em down.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Carpetman about the Decelorator recoil pad and as much as I hate to say it, you might consider a muzzle brake.
If you reload, a watered down load for practice is always a plus with a slight shooter. Trigger time is important in shooting any cartridge well.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers guys that helps a lot. Just need to start her thinking on what she wants in a rifle, action ect. Thanks again guys, with any luck she will have her own fitted "deer" rifle in the next year.

CM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canadian Mulie--Cast bullets can be shot with virtually no recoil. If you reload but don't cast bullets maybe take that up. Many years ago the first time I shot cast bullets in a rifle was in my 30-06. The first load I tried was with 4064 powder and they were around 2400 fps--felt about like a 30-30. The next load was with Unique powder and velocity around 1600 fps. I thought I had a missfire. Almost no recoil and little noise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about an AR variant, with a collapable stock? Not sure about the legality of where you are, but 308 should take care of most game.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've thought about reloading often but all ways seem to spend my $ on something other than reloading equipment. One day I will load my own ammo, but just not now.

As for the stock well thats up to the gf to decide. After hearing all of this I think that a it will be easier to decide on a starter gun than I thought it would be.

CM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the game she will shoot I would think about a 260 Rem, 7MM-08, or the 308...

My wife shot some big plains game with her Blaser R93 in 308 with NO DRAMA.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandson started out deer hunting with .22 centerfires at age 9. He took a fair number too. (none got away and if I'm not mistaken only one required two shots) At age 11 he moved up to .243 and took several more. Then at age 16 I gave him a .308---certainly not that he seemed to need more rifle. The .243 was doing it all. The .308 has worked flawless as did the .243.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Mulie:
I've thought about reloading often but all ways seem to spend my $ on something other than reloading equipment. One day I will load my own ammo, but just not now.

Food for thought: for the price of just a few boxes of store bought ammo, you can buy an intro reloading kit. Then you be able to make better ammo than you can buy and it will be cheaper so you can shoot much more for the same ammo dollars you are spending now.

Aim for the exit hole