New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Military Sidearm Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
I read in one of my mags. American Rifleman of Handgunner.I don't recall ;that Sig had the new contract. No I heard today that Glock was contesting that as they felt they had been unjustifiedely rejected. Anyone has any info?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read the same thing a while back, but have not heard anything more lately.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Trump has his way, they'll be packing american Heat, which is the way it should be.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Seems like the new sigs will be built in America. Story I heard was that Sig could sell to the Gov. for $356.00 per pistol while Glock wanted $1800.00 per (of course you got an extra mag + plastic holster as well). REALLY!!!? Also heard a rumor that the 1200 1911 A1s that DOD bought has been rejected by standard military intellegence reasoning that they all need to shoot 9mm,+ will soon be on the market for the public. NRA needs to keep an eye on this if true.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Steyr Files Lawsuit Against SIG SAUER, Demands Injunction Against P320 for Patent Infringement

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...ement-new-army-p320/

Posts: 6389 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I agree. Seems like the new sigs will be built in America. Story I heard was that Sig could sell to the Gov. for $356.00 per pistol while Glock wanted $1800.00 per (of course you got an extra mag + plastic holster as well). REALLY!!!? Also heard a rumor that the 1200 1911 A1s that DOD bought has been rejected by standard military intellegence reasoning that they all need to shoot 9mm,+ will soon be on the market for the public. NRA needs to keep an eye on this if true.

The info and story you mentioned is wrong.

Glock price was $320 a pistol (nice potential mark up for something that cost $60 to make)

Army wanted a modular system and SIG gave it to them

THe really tragedy is U Army spent $350 mil testing and setting a procurement procedure for a $560 mil procurement.

The is an awful example of what is wrong with government and military procurement - 70% of a procurement budget was set up to by buy an irrelevant item. Could have just gone and bought glocks or sig or smith & wessons or rugers or cz or beretta at a damn store and done a better job.

Something is very wrong with the way the US military acquires small arms. USMC is trying to switch indirectly to hk platform. Just buy one damn less F-35 and buy the best rifle out there.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. that is why I posted what I had heard. I am much more interested in the truth than any online argument (not that yours was). I want factual info + I can make up my own mind. I think the HK is a very smart move even as much as I like to think 'buy America'.Personally if they continue to insist on a 9mm,the the CZ75 is the route to go IMO. From what I know of the average soldier the glock would be a mistake.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
O.K. that is why I posted what I had heard. I am much more interested in the truth than any online argument (not that yours was). I want factual info + I can make up my own mind. I think the HK is a very smart move even as much as I like to think 'buy America'.Personally if they continue to insist on a 9mm,the the CZ75 is the route to go IMO. From what I know of the average soldier the glock would be a mistake.

this gives a good background into the selection process

https://www.armytimes.com/stor...17-million/82132450/

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Mike. Cabelas indeed! That would really throw it over budget. I'm still a die hard fan of the 1911. Back when the military felt the need to replace the puny 38 after the Philipeens at the turn of the century they did their testing in the Chicago stockyards shooting cattle. The .45 is a stopper.