New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'll miss my father Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
William (Wink) Rounds, born March 25, 1921, Washington, DC. Commissioned Second Lieutenant, March 15, 1942 and assigned as platoon commander 209 CA (AA) Regiment, Camp Stewart, GA. Regiment departed for and arrived Hollywood Barracks, Belfast, Northern Ireland in May 1942. Transferred as platoon commander to 103 AAA (AW) Battalion, departed for and arrived in Oran, North Africa in November 1942. Participated in African campaign and landed on Gela Beach, Sicily as platoon commander on D-Day. Upon Sicilian campaign end, the 103 AAA (AW) was attached to 1st Infantry Division Artillery and returned to Lyme Regis in England. Promoted to first lieutenant and assigned as battery executive officer, Btry. B, 103 AAA (AW) Bn. Subsequently promoted to battery commander, Btry. D and attached to the 33rd FA Bn., 1st Inf. Div. Arty., for the Normandy Omaha Beach D Day landing and the Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes and Central Europe campaigns thereafter. Promoted to Captain during the Northern France campaign. At WWII end, assigned as test officer, U.S. Army Board N° 4, Ft. Bliss, Texas. Attained the rank of Major in in June 1947. Seperated from the Army in November 1947.

His decorations include the Silver Star, Bronze Star with V, French Crois de Guerre with Palm, Belgian Croix de Guerre, French Fourragere, Belgian Fourragere, EAME with seven Bronze Stars and assorted service ribbons. He was overseas for 42 months.

At the outbreak of the Berlin Crisis and the Korean War he was recalled to active duty for three years with the rank of Major and served in air defense units in Germany and at Ft. Bliss, Texas.

Wink Sr. died in Tracy, California on Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at the age of 90. I will miss my father very much.

If any are inclined to donations, please contribute to any fund which supports veterans and their families. Here is one:

https://www.1stid.org/foundation/scholarships.cfm

Here is another:

http://www.woundedwarriorproje...rontpage/Itemid,840/

Since not too many are familiar with some of the WWII military acronyms: CA is Coastal Artillery, AAA is Anti-Aircraft Artillery, AW is Automatic Weapons, FA is Field Artillery, Btry is Battery, Bn is Battalion.

The Tracy Press got most of it right:

http://tracypress.com/view/ful...ad_story_left_column

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must be very proud of your father. I know I am.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was glad to read your father's story.
My avatar is my dad's shoulder patch.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Condolences,
and thanks to your family for his service.

My father was also a combat veteran. He was a naval pharmacists mate in the South Pacific during WWII. He was directly involved in troop landings on nine different island incursions including Guam, Leyte Gulf, Guadalcanal, New Caledonia and Iwo Jima.
I had the good fortune to speak and interact with him almost daily the last 10 years of his life. He loved his 6 children, 18 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. His was a life well lived. He contracted Leukemia. It took 17 months to kill him. He passed in October of 09. Like you, I miss him.

Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink, thanks for sharing. Your father was a real hero for dedicating his life to significant human causes. What an impressive record of service.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My sincere condolences. Requiescat in pace.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
So very sorry for your loss my friend!

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
My deepest condolences on your loss.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You have all been very kind. It is probable his burial at Arlington National Cemetary will not occur for a couple of months, it seems they are doing on average 30 burials a day at present. Burials with full military honors guard take some time to organize as well.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Wink, I'm very sorry for your loss but thank you for taking the time to post your father's obituary and the link to the newspaper article. Your dad certainly could claim the banner of the greatest generation. You and your family have a lot to be proud of.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Father was a corporal in the 351st of the 82nd Airborne. He went over the pond into Normandy on June 6th in a glider.

He died on Pearl Harbor Day of 1998. I miss him, as you miss your Father, they were bold men in those days. Would that we had more like them these days.

Rest in Peace, you were my heroes growing up, and still are today...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a significant sence of duty and patriotism in the USA that existed during that era. It was a very determined generation, a tough group. That generation is fading fast and we should all gain as much history as we can from those still around. The youngest WWII vets are in their 80's.
Sorry for your loss, but look in the mirror and you will always see your parents. They are the reason you are the person you are today.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Wink, I know just how you feel. My father was born about the same time, served as an Air Force captain in the Pacific Theater during WWII, was a "superdad", etc., passed away prematurely in 1984 from an adverse reaction to a medication. The worst day of my life.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Sorry to hear about the passing of your father, I know he will be greatly missed by his family and friends. You all have much to be proud of as his service and contribution are something we all admire.

To a Life well lived!

God bless you all!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The burial at Arlington has been set for 21 September.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

Now a question...do you know if the Woodrow Wilson High School he graduated from was in Dallas, TX? I'm an Alumni, just wondering...

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
My condolences.

Now a question...do you know if the Woodrow Wilson High School he graduated from was in Dallas, TX? I'm an Alumni, just wondering...

Nope, it was the Woodrow Wilson in Washington, DC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
Not many WW schools out there.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Burial with full military honors took place this morning at Arlington National Cemetery. The ceremony is executed beautifully by the honor guard.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
My condolences to you on the loss of your father and my gratitude to you for the man that he was to me and for us all, meaning a fine American willing to serve so others don't.

I'm very happy that he justly was placed to rest in Arlington and I am sure you are very proud.

There are many great American people that have made quite a difference in this nation and the world, but it is men like your father that allowed those others the peace and security to be able to do so.

God bless you and God rest his soul.

Posts: 9117 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just a baby when that stuff happened and I owe so much to men such as your father.

I choked up reading this thread.

Hopefully I will be honored by meeting him some day.

May God bless him.

Oxon

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
patriot

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote