THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Texans......Kolache madness in West.....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texans......Kolache madness in West..... Login/Join 
one of us
posted
For most Texans, this won't mean much, they are already familiar with this treat, but kolaches are a Czech pastry which is basically some type of sweet roll stuffed with some type of usually sweeter filling. I was first introduced into the wonderful world of kolaches, while dove hunting with a near legend in Central Tx, John Baron and his, as he describes her, Bohunk (Texas shortened version of Bohemian) wife. She made a batch of poppy seed filled kolaches and brought them to the after hunt dinner. They were indescribably delicious and, I ate so many of them, that, if I wasn't a true Texas country boy, at a dove hunt, I would have been embarrassed. I think they were used to dealing with Aggies, who are not known for their savoir faire, to say the least. Spoken as the father of three T sippers (UT Austin students). There were dozens of fresh poppy seed kolachs, but none made the trip back home. Thank you, Mrs. Baron,....I think.

Poppy seed kolaches have been my favorites ever since. Be aware that supposedly, eating enough of them, can "smoke" a urine test. Poppy seeds, of course, being the plant source for opium.

At any rate, most Texans who have been sentenced to drive on 35 from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Austin ( a horrible stretch of highway)know to allow time for a stop in West, Tx, a small town, now famous for the fertilizer explosion a few years back, that is off of I-35 about 80 mi or so S of Dallas, about 17 mi N of Waco. exit 53.

Based on word-of mouth and billboard advertising, many of these gastronomic tourists don't get any further than the well known Czech Stop Gas Station bordering I-35. While they have and make a decent product, if one is in the know, and it is normal business hours, they will go past Czech Stop by a few hundred feet and pull into Gerik's Ole' Czech Bakery, 511 Oak street, which is just around the corner from CS. The CS must use thousands of pounds of flour a week.

Gerik's has an amazing selection of pastries. All I can say is that if it has "pecan" in the name, load up, you won't be disappointed. Really fine eating. They also have poppy seed kolaches, but, IMO, not as good, as Mrs. Baron's in a dove field. If you're with your girlfriend or significant other, you might watch her for orgasmic sounds as she takes her first bites. They will be there.

Not for the sugar intolerant. Buy 3x as many as you think you can possibly eat, they travel well for next day breakfasts. Be sure to have some strong black coffee to fight the soporific effect of all that sugar.

Don't miss Gerik's and Don't miss West. Very Highly recommended.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think I saw them at Prasek's, too.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn I have been there. But I35 from Austin to Dallas is like driving thru Hell - not the scenery but the road and traffic getting out of Austin.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is exactly why I take 281 to 71 to see the in-laws. I hate I-35. But I may have to deviate for the Kolache at least once.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gato. My daughter and grand-daughter drive that gauntlet a few times a year to visit. Doubt she knows about Gerik's. I go the other way a few times a year to see my brother. I'll do him a favor next time.

Personally I go through that Czech bottleneck on 35 as quick as I can. The thought of getting in a line that extends out the door doesn't work for me.

I know this is probably a mistake, but I'll take your advice one more time.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Thanks Gato. My daughter and grand-daughter drive that gauntlet a few times a year to visit. Doubt she knows about Gerik's. I go the other way a few times a year to see my brother. I'll do him a favor next time.

Personally I go through that Czech bottleneck on 35 as quick as I can. The thought of getting in a line that extends out the door doesn't work for me.

I know this is probably a mistake, but I'll take your advice one more time.

And.......as in previous instances, you'll be better off for so doing...... Smiler I really appreciate your continuing updates on the local brothels. Roll Eyes If you would email them to me, I could forward them to your wife. I'm sure she would be as interested as I am. Eeker

The construction on 35 S of Dallas, not to mention the quality of Texas drivers, makes it a real challenge to navigate and rain turns it into a horror show.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Damn I have been there. But I35 from Austin to Dallas is like driving thru Hell - not the scenery but the road and traffic getting out of Austin.

Mike

JMHO but I don't think someone from a state with the southern end of I95 has much room to comment. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

JMHO but I don't think someone from a state with the southern end of I95 has much room to comment. Wink

I95 in South Florida is a relative breeze if one can pay the toll Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My ex wifes 1st husbands parents owned the cafe in downtown West.We would always stop in for Kolaches on our way to Dallas.His Grandmother before she passed gave me her recipe for buttermilk pie.Best pie ever;always gets me invited back to any party.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My ex wifes 1st husbands parents

???? I'll have to figure this prior to a glass of Crown...but I sell cattle at the auction barn in West and do partake of the kolaches in West, poppy seed are my favorites and the Kolache Factory in Ennis have really good kolaches.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2758 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it can be confusing if you read it fast. My ex that was divorced 11 years ago had a 1st husband whos parents + grandparents owned the cafe downtown. (Not The Czeck Stop).If memory serves I think it was called Kulackes cafe or some such.The families name was Shebesta.They were really nice people,even to a new non family member.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Always bought a bag of those kolaches when near Baylor.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16392 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the step kids over for spaghetti on Saturday. The cafe was called Shulakes (sp).Now its a Mexican restaurant.