New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toll Bill Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
A few months ago I spent 2 or 3 days in Canada. Today I got a bill in the mail for $16 dollars and some change. Guess I drove on one of their tollroads that doesn't have a toll booth but that takes a picture of your license plate then sends you the toll bill. Im sure you Canadians know what im talking about.
Im glad I don't have anything lost in Sociliast/communist Canada. Only reason I can see to return to that country would be to go on a hunt.
Wonder if I can pay with monolopy money? HAVE THEY EVER HEARD OF A TOLL BOOTH?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have one like that around Denver.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that my stepdad got one from them one time for over $150 dollars. He argued with them and only ended up having to pay a small part of that. I should have smeared mud on my license plate

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willieb:

Guess Colorado is going the same way. They need to quit selling roads to foreigners whose only interest in them is profit

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I once got one from Australia....wrote them a nice letter explaining that I was a guest in their country, not familiar with their system asking them to wave it. Guess what...my next letter was not so nice...

I can't picture any Canadians knocking on your door to collect 16 bucks.

I have heard that their are devices that prevent the photo cameras from getting a picture.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For chrissake, did you ride on the road or not?
It'd be funny if one day you opened the door to some 6'19" Mountie in full dress regalia that wanted his money.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think i'd send them a check that was about a buck overpayment and let them make a refund, which would cost more than the 16 bucks in the first place, and then not cash the check forcing the payment records to remain open forever

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
quote:
Originally posted by willieb:

Guess Colorado is going the same way. They need to quit selling roads to foreigners whose only interest in them is profit

FYI, Colorado's E-470 was built by a number of local governments and was/is entirely funded by tolls. It was never a state highway, nor was it sold to foreigners.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And they will never stop charging a toll on it either...

Funny how that works.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ask not for whom the toll bills.

It bills for thee.

jumping

with apologies to John donne.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
It'd be funny if one day you opened the door to some 6'19" Mountie in full dress regalia that wanted his money.

Yes I drove on the road. But that's not the point

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
And they will never stop charging a toll on it either...

Funny how that works.

Rich

Ding Ding Ding, Winner Winner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:

Yes I drove on the road. But that's not the point

What is your point then?? Other than you drove the road and now want to cheap out of paying the toll???

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They never stop charging tolls because roads never stop needing repairs. A vast chunk of our interstate system is well beyond its design parameters and it shows.

Pay the toll, cheapskate.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I guess since some of you can't seem to get the point I will attempt to make it a little more clear.
Point is if we were charged nearly 17 dollars everytime we drove on a road. and most days drive on several different roads, then most of us would end up paying a few thousand dollars every month in tolls.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I got a $50 bill from the rental car bill after I returned from Toronto. I too would have paid the toll but there was no place to do so. The rental car company directed me on this route from the airport to my destination up north - and of course they knew the car is not toll equipped. My gripe was that it was about $15 in tolls and $35 in fines, fees, etc as is the Canada way. I decided against putting a much larger chunk of cash into a Canada project so it was $50 well spent. It was the process that gripes my butt like it does Jarrod.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess since some of you can't seem to get the point I will attempt to make it a little more clear.
Point is if we were charged nearly 17 dollars everytime we drove on a road. and most days drive on several different roads, then most of us would end up paying a few thousand dollars every month in tolls.

I have never been on a toll road that was not well marked as a toll road. Now if they hid the toll signs and you were ignorant of the toll feature, you might have a point. AFA I can recall I've never been on a toll road that there was not an alternative FREE route. That route might be longer and usually takes more time, but that's the driver's choice.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too true. If you didn't want to pay the $16.00 and cruise down a big, fat highway at 75mph, you could have saved the $16.00 and driven on a not so fat road at 55mph, except when you were passing through West Podunk where the speed limit is 35mph and you have to stop for the light, and then Podunk, followed by East Podunk which is 12 miles from West Buttlick, etc, etc.

Maybe that Canadian Mountie, in full dress regalia, should wear a mask since he is obviously robbing you. Big Grin

Aim for the exit hole

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

I have never been on a toll road that was not well marked as a toll road. Now if they hid the toll signs and you were ignorant of the toll feature, you might have a point. AFA I can recall I've never been on a toll road that there was not an alternative FREE route. That route might be longer and usually takes more time, but that's the driver's choice.

Have you ever driven on the New Jersey Turnpike in northern New Jersey? Some places it's 16 lanes wide. I got caught between a bunch of 18 wheelers and was forced through the EasyPass stile. which I do not have. I stopped at the next regular toll facility down the road and went in to plead my case and pay whatever toll was appropriate. No can do, I was told. Just wait for the charges to come in the mailbox. That would have been OK except the fine was 3 times the actual toll cost!

I sent a check for the toll but not the fine, explaining that I was from out of state, not familiar with the congestion on a Friday afternoon, got stuck in a line I didn't want to be in but had no way to persuade all those other big rigs to cut me some slack, that I tried to pay but was rebuked. I got a form letter back from them saying they accepted my offering and explanation, but they were keeping an eye on my license plate for future infractions, and that if they caught me again I wouldn't get off so easy.

No problem, I thought to myself. I'll just stay the hell out of your most over-populated state in the Union. Harrumph!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess the OP missed the big signs that said "407 Express Toll Route" and "Out-of-province plates will be billed"

Roll Eyes

AFA no toll booth, I'd figure you'd appreciate the efficiency of electronically recording license plates, instead of having a gov't flunky snoozing in an air conditioned booth all day long.

I only use it when I'm on business, so they pay for it. Most often, the route I take is only 5 miles (8 min.) longer, so it's not worth the extra to take the toll road. Yes, it does have a lot of traffic jams, but I just avoid driving it the times of day that is likely to happen. I've been in traffic jams on the toll road, too.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
On your kitchen table place $10, $5 and $1.

Take a picture.

Send them a copy of the picture.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:

Take a picture.

yuck

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jarrod:
Today I got a bill in the mail for $16 dollars and some change. QUOTE]

$16.00 Canadian???

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jarrod:
Today I got a bill in the mail for $16 dollars and some change. QUOTE]

$16.00 Canadian???

Which is actually more than $16 US...current exchange rate 1 USD = 0.994315 CAD...so you actually owe $16.0840!

Pay Up! Hope you enjoyed your stay in Canada!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Pay them. My buddy thought the same thing as he would never go back to Canada. About three years later he found out they sent him to collections over the money without any notification other than the original letter. I hate to be a dick but the 407 ETR is pretty well marked as I am a truck driver and go there from time to time.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nah, we don't miss the point -- we don't agree with you trying to skate a toll. Send them a check and be done with it
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Pay the toll, cheapskate.

ah, yep .. if you rode the road, you owe the toll ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The same think happened to me in Kalifornia, the rental car wasn't toll equiped. I didn't get all bent out of shape about it though and go around dissing the States I paid the toll. I didn't pay the $50.00 service charge the rental company wanted though.

Oh and by the Jarrod-Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I'm sure we can do without you coming back. pissers

|the chef

One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Take a picture.

rotflmo yuck The Canadian athoritys are a bunch of crooks and bulleys, just like the American authoritys, dont pay them one red cent.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
For 16 bucks you got off light. Here in Houston on the Beltway it's $33.50. Per pop. Friend of mine had his wifes card expire and didn't keep up with the renewal. He woke up one day owing over $900 in fees for about 30 days of using the tollway for work. Since he had one violation waived within the the three years he was stuck with the bill.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wwjmbd:
quote:

Take a picture.

rotflmo yuck The Canadian athoritys are a bunch of crooks and bulleys, just like the American authoritys, dont pay them one red cent.

Unfortunately we have reciprocal agreements with Canada. One day you go in to renew your license and find you can't because Canada filed on you for the tolls.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote